• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

K 12 insley

heavylift

You see these old cranes on iron planet... usually under $500 start
various models are listed at times

td25c

Welcome heavylift,years ago we charged a $300 minimum to move the INSLEY to a job ,I agree ,We should raise it to $500 now days.

blktppr

wow what a post, and I will now ad to it by saying I have already received some great help from Rick on our newly acquired 1951 K12 serial number 5809. It is an old Army Corp of Engineers crane with a Hendrix drag line bucket. Dad has also acquired a Haiss clamshell bucket and a hook and sheeve for it. I will have to get some pictures on here. Do I need to put the pics on a site like photobucket in order to post them here, or can anyone enlighten me on picture posting.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum blktppr. :usa

Once you get in three posts to any thread (except TGIF), you'll become a Junior Member and be able to add pics to a post/thread and not have to use a link like photobucket.

td25c

Welcome blktppr.Rick don a great job restoring his k-12 and has helped us as well.I also have a hendrix 1/2 yard dragline bucket for my k-12 truck crane.Look forward to seing your Insley.

blktppr

Thanks guys, Rick has seen pictures of our K12 and I will ad the addy where you guys can see a number of pics. 25c, I think it was one of your post's here where you said that they made boom sections in 10' and 20' and I was wondering if they ever made a 15' mid section as the one we got with our K12 measures right at 15', or did someone mess up the end of a 20' and decide to make it into a 15'? The auction listed the dragline bucket as a 1/4 yd, but it looks to me to be more like a 1/2-3/4 yd. Do you have the dimensions of your 1/2 yd bucket? Here is the web addy to the auction site where we bought our K12. www.bid-2-buy.com/wspages/bidbuy84.html and then either go into the "enter auction here" or "equipment"

td25c

It's possible Insley made a 15' midsection.My great uncle would visit the factory and he tolled me they would build a crane & add options to suit the customers needs.Off the top of my head I'd say my 1/2 yard bucket is 3 foot wide by 5 foot long.I dont know what my truck crane weighs,police & DOT would allways pull out & pass me on the road.I would guess It's around 45,000 to 50,000 lbs.Them old Insley got allot of iron in them.

dozerbill57

Occupation
Retired
K12 Insley

I have a 1964 K12 Insley, 15' butt, 15' head and a 20' insert , 353 detroit engine, engine runs strong , starts every time , travel needs adjusted , needs painting . I cleaned out a small lake 3 years ago , i have health issues and i shouldn't operate it do to neck surgery . I start Insley up about every 2 months . I will also throw i a Bucyrus Eris Tag Winder , a dragline bucket less hardware, (chains and shive ) a hook and shive all for $2,300.00 firm. If interested call Bill @ (502) 314-6435 :usa

td25c

Well howdy & welcome from south Indiana dozerbill57.Dang! thats very tempting.It sounds like your k-12 is set up good.My Wife would not be very happy seing another piece of equipment show up at our place.Hear is a good story,ATCOEQUIP will love this one.I bought my buddys td 15 dozer and I tolled him to keep this quiet as my wife and I had been arguing about another subject.Everything was going smooth then she pulled up to the shop and there sat the td 15.She gets out of the car and walks up to me then she stops and looks at the dozer.She looks back at me and ask's in an unforgiving voice "who's Dozer is that!"Thinking quickly I answerd that I thought it was the county highway department's dozer and tolled her they were going to be working on the road .I was in the clear for about 2 weeks untill my buddy's wife got to talking to my wife.Needless to say the jig was up and 25c caught hell for buying the dozer.

Last edited:

td25c

Women & Equipment

Yep, you ain't going to avoid that one! :D

We cant live with them and cant live without them.I have another idea.If I bought another crane, I'l tell the wife It's the state of Indiana's crane insted of the countys, and they are doing some bridge work in our area.The wife will catch on but if it's an Insley the but chewen will be worth it.

Rick Rowlands

My wife has never said a word to me about any equipment that I have acquired. Even when I filled half the garage up with a stationary steam engine and 10" rolling mill!

She just wants enough room inside to park her Jeep.

dozerbill57

Occupation
Retired
Well howdy & welcome from south Indiana dozerbill57.Dang! thats very tempting.It sounds like your k-12 is set up good.My Wife would not be very happy seing another piece of equipment show up at our place.Hear is a good story,ATCOEQUIP will love this one.I bought my buddys td 15 dozer and I tolled him to keep this quiet as my wife and I had been arguing about another subject.Everything was going smooth then she pulled up to the shop and there sat the td 15.She gets out of the car and walks up to me then she stops and looks at the dozer.She looks back at me and ask's in an unforgiving voice "who's Dozer is that!"Thinking quickly I answerd that I thought it was the county highway department's dozer and tolled her they were going to be working on the road .I was in the clear for about 2 weeks untill my buddy's wife got to talking to my wife.Needless to say the jig was up and 25c caught hell for buying the dozer.
Thanks for the welcome 25c , i had the same problem when i was married and in bussiness , she didn't complain when i took her on vacations 2 and 3 times a year , but when i would come in with D8H , 619 ,5800 Linkbelt, but now i am single and free and disabled . That happened too soon , not the marriage ending , the disability . :)

Rick Rowlands

I took the 20' extension off today, since the building is finished I won't need that length for a while.

Attachments

• 2009-11-17 16-49-50_0002.jpg
    2009-11-17 16-49-50_0002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 993

td25c

Looking good Rick.I've never rigged my k-12 truck crane with 30 foot of boom.I could drive it on the road with 40 foot in it but I have to be careful at intersections ,road sighns ,power poles ,ect because of the 25 feet of boom hanging out in front of the cab.I may take a section of boom out now that I just use the Insley around the shop.Is that the todd engine building behind the crane?

dozerbill57

Occupation
Retired
How do you guys find these cranes? I've always wanted an old crawler crane. I've always liked how unit cranes look. Since i've never heard of insley, i wonder how many other old crane manufactures are?
American
B/E
Insley
Link-Belt
Unit
I have my Insley for sale on the Equipment For Sale Site. Running condition 353 detroit , 50 feet of Boom !

:usa