• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

That is some Piddlin poor enganearing to get those structures in with the process as it was. Would be asking WHO was the Enga of note that came up with that installation point and required such a low pick angle. My Arse would been sucking the seat cushion cover off or pinching multiple new buttonholes in it!!

I can't think of a project that I have done, where the engineers specifically came up with a procedure to install something. Usually the engineers design something, and hand it to the contractors and have them figure out installation. I have had engineers speak to how something could be rigged, what kind of ground pressure, load moments and rigging, but never one that came up with a install procedure.

On the tandem pick project- the liebherr had its best chart at 100' with only 114' of boom out. The more boom I put out, the less chart I have. The link belt had a better chart at 126' of boom than 114', but the chart fell off if more than 126' of boom was put out. Sometimes I have to study the boom configurations a little to find the best spot.

We are going to have to open up the wall a little higher on the job where I'm using my galion in the building. I'll have to put my 40 ton Rt boom through the wall from all outside, and I'm going to need some more boom up area. So the wall is going to have to be cut up higher.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Really surprised not getting a little FWD Broderson unit and drop in thru doorway with a bigger crane, would save wear tear and fear of running out of chart.

Welder Dave

The engineers that design mining shovels and draglines likely consider installation and assembly. The rest of stuff forget it. Used to get blueprints for skids for gas plants and they want something welded in and there is no access to weld it. Then you have to send it back to be modified.

gtermini

Saw this wacky rigging fixture on another site and thought you appreciate it. Comment said they stuck a little Broderson deck crane in the hole after the forklift. I'm curious how the thing moves to balance after the load is off?

evoyn9z.jpg

crane operator

That's a slick little set up. They are using something similar now to install replacement wind turbine blades.

My guess is the upper counterweight has a moveable track guide on it, and they can move the counterweight back and forth on the upper beam/ rail as they add and subtract weight. I've seen some have like a acme screw and track and have it be driven, or else just a chain and sprocket drive to turn the gear, kind of like the old overhead cranes have for moving the rail.

The ones they use on the windmill blade replacements, are all remote run, and they can slide the blades back and forth and rotate them to bolt the blade to the drive hub.

The job probably got billed for the whole cost to build the beam assembly, when they figured out where they had to put the carry deck and the forklift, looks like one of those "cost plus" type of jobs.

It has to be a pretty stout beam- the forklift isn't that heavy, but the little broderson is 16,000lbs if its a 8ton, the 15 ton ones are like 36,000lbs. traveling weight_LI (2).jpg

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I actually made a test lift of something similar for Greenfield products. They called it a cantilever beam. It had a small gas engine on it, hydraulics etc. seems like there was 6,000-8,000# of c/w that moved laterally to keep the load balanced. I wasn’t sure of the unit’s capacity, but I do remember it was awfully heavy in comparison to its capacity. This unit was built to hang glass curtain walls on high rises. We used a 165 ton to make the test lift. Can only imagine one designed to lift a forklift

crane operator

Had to put the Rt in the door at the theater remodel. Couldn't reach with the galion. The little decks we were setting were 3,500, which isn't that heavy, but its a pain when you have to run it in and out flat under a ceiling, the crane isn't really designed to do that well. I did give the boom a good greasing before we went so it would slide nice when flat with a load.

20200414_141249.jpg 20200414_143729.jpg 20200414_143740.jpg

crane operator

The peterbilt had a leak in the radiator. Its got what looks like a pretty new bottom tank, but its got a crack in it. Previous owners evidently believed in stop leak, because its all over in the cores and the tank.

Cleaned it all up and used the torch to try to cook the antfreeze and stop leak out, then welded it up. The crack wasn't hardly visible after it was cleaned up, until I heated it up and cooled it, then it was readily apparent.

New tank bottom was kinda spendy, and I own a welder so I gave it a shot, we'll see if it holds up.

20200416_070143.jpg 20200416_151452.jpg 20200420_075418.jpg 20200420_075421.jpg

crane operator

Trusses with the 40 ton. The crane is coming around, now that I have the lmi all working, and the swing brake and all the other kinks. As we run it, the list gets longer of stuff that still needs fixed. The most glaring issue is the rear main engine oil leak.

20200416_091141.jpg 20200416_090210.jpg 20200416_120139.jpg 20200416_111159.jpg

crane operator

So I found a couple things on a auction a few weeks ago. I made a run over to tulsa yesterday and picked them up. One is a pallet from a rigging supplier. Its full of boxes of chain end fittings. No chain, just all the fittings, I'll get it sorted out and then buy some chain to make up some rigging chains.

The other item was a pallet with unknown working condition chainfalls. 1 1/2 ton to 5 ton. Supposedly 25 of them on the pallet, but they were all in a pile on the pallet. Do any of you realize how much fun it is to untangle 27 chain falls? That means 54 chains with 1/2 of them being continuous loops, and they are all snarled together. Its one huge ball of chain. We have 2 of them pulled out.

I haven't gotten out the cut off wheel yet, but I was thinking about it this afternoon. Its a good rain out project, but I'm glad I've got a crane job to finish tomorrow morning, maybe the guys will have them untangled before I get back. :)

20200422_142708.jpg

20200421_190433.jpg 20200422_132544.jpg 20200422_145521.jpg

Knepptune

Man I wouldn’t wish the untangling of those chain falls on my worst enemy.

That picture did make chuckle. Looks like a massive headache.