• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

At least you speak the same language.

That's why I'm dealing with the boys in new zealand, my Japanese isn't very good. I guess I could google translate, or they probably know english. Americans are such backwards clod kickers. Expect everyone else to speak our language.

How's the fires in your neighborhood, skies a little hazy?

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I saw your rescue efforts on thelocal news. Both rescue efforts. You’re famous. I’m gonna stop sometime and get your autograph! Lol

crane operator

The big thing is the time difference. They told me 42 days by boat, I'm going to guess it will be at least 60 days before I see it. The air freight is a week door to door. The nice thing on the boat would be its complete when it gets to me. If I have him ship me the parts, I've still got to take them to the gear shop and have them put them together. The full pumpkins I could just slide in and go.

Oh well, it will all work out in the end. I think his quote on just the ring and pinion shipped was like $500. If it was $1,500 for all of it, and I can get it a month and a half sooner, that's kind of a easy decision in my book.

crane operator

Differentials front and rear is $3,200 US used- in New Zealand.

Shipping options:

Full differentials on the boat is approx. $1,000. 42 days door to door- plus any customs delays (I bet I'd be lucky to see them in 50-60 days-my guess).

Disassembled diffs with no housings on a plane approx. $2,000 - 6 days door to door plus customs delays (maybe 10 days to me?) Plus my cost here to reassemble them. Last one was like $800 for one if I remember right. So a additional 1600 for that.

Last option we are going to explore:

Full diffs with housings assembled- but air freight, I just got off the phone with him and he guessed $4,000, but he wanted 24 hours to explore a couple other options. If I ship them this way- I don't have the $1,600 to reassemble when I get it here, so that's only a extra $400 over sending the disassembled diffs, and the two trips to the gear shop and the wait for the gear shop to put them together.

It cost me one job this week and one last week in not having it together, so I think I'm all over the air freight thing. I want it back together.

crane operator

I might have made a mistake today, I'm not sure yet.

Since we've had the Mack together and running, I'm a little over supplied with cranes in the 25 ton category, with the mack and my 2 - 25 ton grove's. 3 cranes that size is more than I need.

A guy I know in the crane game and I were talking and he brings up that he's looking for a spare crane. So I priced him the Mack and the yellow 25 ton grove truck crane that I have. I told him I didn't really care which I sold, but I need to sell one of them. If it was just me- I'd rather have the grove, but my one operator really likes the mack, and the 95' main is handy.

Anyways, he showed up today with a check in hand for the 25 ton grove, and I sent it down the road. How's that go- "Never turn down money."

I've had it like 6-7 years or so, and the only real big money I spent on it was repowering to a 8.3 cummins from 3208 power. A few hoses and repacked some jacks and outrigger cylinders. Some tires. But that's really it.

It's been a good crane and I'm not sure I should have let it go. But its done now.

20180814_094957.jpg

crane operator

Now you have the option to get into the 100 ton category.

Unfortunately, selling a 25 ton crane, doesn't equal up to the costs of a 100 ton crane. It would be nice if it worked that way though.

I've been looking though. I just think the timing hasn't worked itself out yet.

crane operator

A little demo work this afternoon. Took the galion. I've actually had the 25 ton and the rt in this area, but the galion fits in there much easier, its narrower than the rt and turns shorter, and turns much shorter than the truck crane.

20180816_120132.jpg 20180816_120420.jpg 20180816_122410.jpg 20180816_122441.jpg

crane operator

Finally finished the deck project today. Seems like we were there forever and only put up a few beams, but they weren't easy to get too. We got rained out on Friday, so we finished Saturday morning.

During the rain friday, someone else missed the shop corner too. I wasn't there but jim sent me a picture. We had just been talking that it would be the kind of day where someone misses the corner.

IMG952018081795111812807.jpg 20180818_074356.jpg 20180818_100840.jpg 20180818_104456.jpg

crane operator

Put the 3406 in the peterbilt friday after getting rained out. Put the clutch on it about five times. First time the pressure plate cracked, and dropped out a piece when we snugged the transmission up. Just pulled the motor back away to reinstall with a different pressure plate I had.

Second time I broke a bolt off in the flywheel (jim wouldn't let me use the impact after that). Third time the little plastic clutch alignment tool broke, because I couldn't find the old transmission shaft we usually use. Glued the plastic one back together. And then re broke it after tightening up the clutch and only got 1/2 of it to pull back out. Removed clutch again, to pull out the plastic piece, and dug around and found the old steel transmission input I usually use and finally got it installed.

Got the motor in and the transmission is close, but we called it a day after getting the motor mount bolts installed.

20180817_131047.jpg

AzIron

I thought impacts were acu torque wrenches

The last clutch I did are my lunch I didn't have a jack and dropped it out of the bell and the clutch housing broke

If I have to do another one it will be to soon

crane operator

I didn't have a jack

Jack? Jack? Just kidding, I've seen them, but don't own one, but those twin disc clutches are a handful. Jim had the motor pulled just far enough away to drop it out the bottom after the first try went bad. I decided I wasn't up to stabbing it up there from the bottom, when we were only 6 bolts away from pulling the motor back out.

If the motor was all hooked up, I would have probably just stuck it up in there, but I was feeling weak looking at it, and decided to just pull motor out.

AzIron

If the motor was all hooked up, I would have probably just stuck it up in there, but I was feeling weak looking at it, and decided to just pull motor out.

I understand what you mean it's not that you can't lift it it's just awkward

One trick I learned from a guy is to hang the clutch on the trans and then stab the whole thing together then you just turn the fly wheel to get the clutch bolted up after the trns is hung it's a little time consuming but it definitely takes the possible hernia out of it

crane operator

Shingles with the Rt from earlier this week. The shingles are bad so they need to warranty/ re install. Unfortunately, they didn't order enough shingles so we'll have to go back next week or the week after to put the rest up.

20180820_093200.jpg 20180820_093229.jpg 20180820_101853.jpg 20180820_110530.jpg

crane operator

Maybe, maybe, the 70 ton parts will get headed here this week. Air freight ended up being $2,600 vs $960 on the boat, so I went for the air freight. (40 days difference time wise). We will see.

Made a becket attach point on the boom head of the galion, so I could attach a scale, nice to know what things weigh.

After we did a test pick, and did a full radius test pick for a job I went and did today. Took 8200lbs to full chart.

We were scheduled to set a unit in a tight spot at a hospital. I went and measured the job all out and we were good.

Unit showed up and weighed 8000, instead of 6,000lbs, so I did a test pick at the shop to be sure I could get it.

Galion lets you know when you get over chart over the side. But its good for 8600 at 30'.

20180821_130724.jpg 20180820_171845.jpg 20180821_134510.jpg