• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am thinking that the 9 would be good last fall drove a 3406 with a 9 and just grabbed 2 gears, at the early part of the hill to make sure I had enough engine to get me up. Not like your on the road 10 hrs every day with the truck.

crane operator

Amusement park ride. It gets a set of cars under the "excavator" arm. I think we will end up moving it again all as one piece, I think its going to be to close to the ride that its next too.

20180611_163626.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’m most likely going to part out the truck that 18 speed is in. If you decide you can use it let me know.

crane operator

Thanks for the offer, the pete isn't really a heavy enough truck to need that much transmission. If it was 20k front and big rears, double frame etc., I might want a big trans, but I think I'm going to put the 15 in it. The only reason to leave the 9 in the peterbilt, is because it looks like a pretty new reman transmission, paint marker writing on it yet and everything with the reman tag. But I think I'm going to prefer the closer together gear ratio's of the 15.

I'm probably going to use the 9 in the 35, just for the extra room, unless I find a 8ll and decide I have room for it. The deep reduction in the 8ll would be nice on a jobsite, getting into position. But the extra length may make it tough.

AzIron

15 speed all the way

3406 and a 15 are a nice comb been loaded heavy and never lacked a gear and we have some steep and long hills

Can't say I like the 9 speed they get the job done but leave a lot to be desired

crane operator

70 ton down into arkansas on wednesday. Got there and set up -Jim hollers at me "hey, did you see this steer tire?" It felt like standing near a bomb.

Everything was good before we left, but its been super warm here, and it was pretty long drive. We'll be changing that before we head home.

20180613_094530.jpg 20180613_162340.jpg 20180613_162345.jpg

crane operator

Vet clinic MRI machine. Offloaded with the galion, skipped it to the door. Two brick steps and then 60' down a hallway. 90 degree corner, and into the metal cage. 15,000 pounds, and its a semi permanent magnet, so you can't get anything steel close to the table or its stuck. No watches or credit cards in your pocket either, it will wipe the credit cards.

When the mri machine was still in its crate, you could stick a vice grip to the outside of the crate and it would just hang there.

Plywood and posts outside to deal with the steps, then plywood and masonite inside. Air skates worked great. Its kind of like painting equipment, a ton of prep work for not much moving time.

20180614_130841 (1).jpg 20180614_130905 (1).jpg 20180614_130914 (1).jpg 20180614_130938 (1).jpg

crane operator

Sold my metal lathe. I bought it a couple years ago, and its been sitting in the corner of my shop since. I really don't have time to use it, and a customer of mine needed a big one, so I sold it.

Big red picked it up and out of my shop, but we took the 25 ton to put it in their building.

Their shop location has less than ideal access, trees, steel, narrow driveway and a couple buildings. Hauled it there on the winch truck so we didn't have to deal with gooseneck trailer.

We got it scoped out into the building and on their concrete, then skated into place.

20180615_101335.jpg 20180615_135322.jpg 20180615_140422.jpg

crane operator

. For curiosity, what is the date code?

I honestly never looked. We don't do a lot of miles, but it sets outside a lot, and between the sun and setting around loaded heavy all the time with the crane, nothing lasts forever. I've got some tires set back in the shop for it, I'm probably going to replace all 4 steers.

It was your lucky day you got to the job site,

Every dog has his day!

crane operator

Roofing outfit came to town from kansas city today with a 2007 manitex (they own it themselves). They no more than had their jacks down and swung over with their first pick and it died. Truck would run, but when the pto was engaged, engine would die. I sent out the little mack to the rescue. Simple is kind of nice.

I felt bad for the roofers, they bought the crane a year ago out of texas and its been down more than they've been able to use it. Leaks, not running, a little bit of everything. Mounted on a 07 Sterling with a mercedes engine, I think today's issue was electrical- something in signal between crane and ecm, they had a call in to a mechanic out of springfield. Looked to me like the crane had a hard life before they got it. 07 would be one of the last sterlings I think.

When it died, they had a pallet of material about 15' above the roof of the mall they were working on, with boom out and on jacks and not running- it wasn't a good day for them.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Seems to me you should be writing a book about all the interesting jobs you get. I am sure every year you would be on the best seller list.