• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

I've actually gone to mostly buying my tools on ebay. I don't buy much snap on, because it commands such a premium price. Its really good stuff, its just I don't use it every day, and I do tend to lose things.

I usually buy stuff that I think is good enough, but doesn't command the snap on premium. I like old mac stuff. Wright, proto, S-K, Armstrong, Williams, Matco. There's all kinds of different brands of tools in my box. I've even got some taiwan/ chinese stuff around- wrenches that I keep around to cut off for limited access/ specialty.

I've got a lot of USA craftsman stuff, and for what it sold for originally, I can't complain about it. It seems like now the collectors have entered into the usa craftsman stuff. The really big stuff in sets, I usually get off of craigslist, the shipping for a 3/4" drive set kills the price on ebay. But if I'm just after a socket its hard to beat ebay pricing, plus I don't have to go anywhere, it gets dropped at the door.

f311fr1

Yeah, I own 3 Snap On tools. Two of the 17 MM hex sockets and 1 old 3/8 ratchet. Most everything else is US Craftsman, Kobalt, Tecton, and a set of Martin open end hudraulic wrenches I never thought I would see the day I would make a special trip to Lowes ect to buy a Tiwan wrench.

crane operator

Been putting fenders on the Mack. Its not a high priority situation, it just needed done. It just seems like everytime I fix something, I find something else we need to do. Fenders, mudflap brackets, move the exhaust, new hyd. tank. etc, etc, etc.

20180122_090637.jpg 20180122_090710.jpg 20180122_100053.jpg 20180122_111545.jpg

crane operator

Set a little steel in a new garage. One 40' beam for a overhead trolley. Two other short beams for overhead mezzanine. It looked to me like a real unhandy garage.

20180123_105840.jpg 20180123_105845.jpg 20180123_110647.jpg 20180123_114119.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_1346.JPG love the view. I was working in a grove of pines today. I could see the wind really blowing the tops of the trees. Makes going to work everyday a pleasure. I look forward to seeing your happy face looking out of the glass of your new boom truck. Nice work on it.

Natman

I set a old jeep, as a cupulo, on a 8 sided garage roof a few years back. Build by a ingenious classic car collector guy, it had one door, just a single car sized one. but it had a remote controlled rotating center section, so with pushing a button the car you wanted to drive that day would rotate into position to be driven out. He had 8 vehicles in there, and since he built the rotater himself (old farmer) it was cost effective as he only had to buy one door!

crane operator

My guys keep kidding around about the mack boom truck. They think by the time I fix everything- like I want it to be, I'll decide I really don't like a boom truck and it will be headed down the road to someone else.

I know if I don't fix what I want to first, I will for sure send it down the road, so I'm giving it all the help I can. I keep staring at the back of the turntable and dreaming of counterweight.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My guys keep kidding around about the mack boom truck. They think by the time I fix everything- like I want it to be, I'll decide I really don't like a boom truck and it will be headed down the road to someone else.

I know if I don't fix what I want to first, I will for sure send it down the road, so I'm giving it all the help I can. I keep staring at the back of the turntable and dreaming of counterweight.

I have counterweights......the one on my old 14 ton RT might be about right.

crane operator

Thanks, I keep saying I'm going to just climb in the truck and head over there some weekend, but my schedule is kind of like yours, family, work,etc. etc. I'm thinking that would be about the right size.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well it's not going anywhere that I know of. I keep meaning to strip it down and scrap what's left. Just need to find the time.....

crane operator

Just a unit on a steak n shake today. The poor trucker. I pulled in and met him out on the road. Narrow driveway off a busy 4 lane, and blind at that. He didn't look excited at all about it. I gathered up the HVAC guys and blocked all the lanes, and he backed it right in.

20180125_100520.jpg 20180125_100525.jpg 20180125_100544.jpg

crane operator

Spring cleaning. I know its January, which means some of you are still stuck in snow, etc., but I'm in clean up mode. First load went to the scrap man today, fenders from the 70 ton and the mack boomtruck, wife's old bonneville (less engine that we took out for my boy's camaro), Dodge 1 ton front axle with bent housing, and some other odds and ends. Stuff just accumulates, and I have to clean out.

It helps if I just tell Jim what I want cleaned up, and if he sneaks off some extra stuff, I won't notice its gone. I have a little bit of a hoarder complex, I always think "I might need that someday, and this way I won't have to buy it". And pretty soon I just have stuff setting everywhere.

Also the powerline clearing boys made it up to the shop today, that blade on the end of his trimmer just ripped through those oak branches like butter. I don't know what he's using for tips on the 24" or so circular blade (I'm assuming carbide tipped), but its got to be pretty tough the way he walked through branches.

That blade just sings on the end of that boom, he must have quite a hyd. oil cooler. You can see the next hoarder mess in the bottom of that picture. Clean up!

20180125_110659.jpg 20180125_110707.jpg 20180125_111948.jpg

Natman

I do the same, on an iffy access I'll give them a heads up, "I can do it, but....." more just trying to get everybody on the same team, right off the bat. If I get any sense at all that I am on my own if things go south, I pass. I checked out 4 jobs in the last two days, zipping around town almost for free in the PluginPrius I drive. The contrast between that and the Mack/National combo for getting around our mountainous area is always fun. Today's job ended up with the front tires 40" in the air, (had to two stage my outrigger setup, steep residential area) with one outrigger pad on a sidewalk, I got a verbal OK that if the concrete cracked, it wasn't my problem.

crane operator

Quarry work today. This is a crusher , and not the first time we've had it apart. Had to get the loader on the other side and give it some big love taps. Broke one of the lifting eyes with the loader, welded on a new eye and kept thumping.

The fines get trapped between the ring and the wall, and its a pain to get it apart.

Finally got it, it will need new "jaws" and we will put it back together later this week

20180129_090836.jpg 20180129_095732.jpg 20180129_095737.jpg