• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Knepptune

Gotta love quarry work. I was just at one the beginning of the week. Those guys are usually pretty close on weight. It's just about as boring as it can get. 1-2 lifts per hour is just boring. I dc who you are.

crane operator

Also proud to report the crane got back together the second time- holding and no leaks. Book says to remove boom completely from crane, then disassemble. Shop area is pretty flat right here, we use a combination of driving the crane and holding/ driving with the forklift to push and pull for disassembly and reinstalling. I like that better b/c the crane carrier gives you a anchor for the bottom section.

20160823_092326.jpg

Thought they might dump this off at my shop- they must have missed the turn.

20160807_105607.jpg

20160807_105621.jpg

Got rid of one of my two army truck, motor donor's. Sold it to a kid with dreams of a mud runner- threw in a bad 3208t, he thinks he's using it to power it.

20160823_125950.jpg

Don't remember where we talked about it on here, but just a 5 month report: love the 8.3 cummins (stolen from the above army truck) instead of the 3208's in my two 25 ton's. Just a little more fuel usage (+5%?). Gained at least 2 gears on most hills, way more torque with similar hp #'s. I'll have to take a couple pictures of the install.

crane operator

On the pile driving- I was across the river and at least a 1/4 mile away from the hydro. They were using one of those hydraulic vibrating hammers, I thought my crane was going to vibrate to pieces, I can't imagine what it was like in his seat. I think that's one of the jobs that a hydro teleboom crane will never work like a lattice. It had to be slamming him/ side to side and up and down. Those old american's though- just soak it up and ask for more.

Do you chain the american to the barge? I have a hard enough time placing things, can't imagine the crane riding the waves. Have worked with guys from the gulf, working on drill rigs. They say 5'-10' waves are a adventure, loading from boats to the rig and back.

Knepptune

Get into your afc screw and grind your fuel plate flat on those 8.3's and they'll walk up the hills in overdrive. Lol it'll also roast the single disc clutch. And once you put a dual disc clutch in it'll twist the driveshaft in two. Lol don't ask how I know this stuff.

We had one that we put dump truck rears under. It also had an overdrive transmission. That old girl would get out of bed and roll down the road. Topped out at 67mph and you didn't have to downshift on hardly any hills. Really was kind of a fun crane to drive. She did like the diesel fuel tho.

movindirt

I like the window A/C unit crane operator, did the same thing on my old Cat 215 this summer, 61 degree air and all I had to do was top off the gas tank every 4 hours or so :D Had a small gas generator already so I strapped that to the toolbox lid opposite the cab, plugged the power cord in and was good to go. Made a couple of mounts to hold the unit in the back window of the cab, I bet I still had more visibility then a new E series Cat :cool: 20160713_145735.jpg20160829_201434.jpg

crane operator

No knepptune, I don't think we're going to mess with the pumps. The thought crossed my mind to see how far I could push the 8.3, but really I'm happy with where they're at, and I think the engine life will be much more if I don't crank them up. I was curious about your tms 300. When they went to big cam 350, did they put in a larger radiator? I'm trying to decide on my repower if I'll get a custom larger radiator, or just recore the old one. I also have contemplated a big cam III, in 350hp, I've found one and don't know if that would be easier/better than converting my 444 to high flow, and dealing with stc, instead of ntc.

Love the little window unit, moving dirt, it sure improves the day having a little cool air.

Knepptune

I really don't know on that crane op. I don't really have a basis for comparison on the radiator size on that 300. Just from memory I don't feel like it looks oversized or anything.

I can tell you that the whole system holds about 10 gallons of coolant.

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
thanks for sharing all the pictures....looks like you get a wide variety of locations. From easy parking lots to sidehills full of timber. Good work!

crane operator

Of course its a holiday weekend-travel restriction on here in missouri, my wife loves that b/c then I can't work, instead I'm on here writing about work. Anyways a few more pictures from this week.

110' radius, 1600 lbs, a/c unit. Don't think that hard hat is doing him much good in his hand.

20160830_075205.jpg

Holding up some more units at a school. They were re -roofing, hold up each unit while they do the curbs

20160830_093055.jpg

View traveling down my shop hill. Anyone upset about me driving and taking a picture should realize I'm moving about 2mph here, I couldn't avoid anyone if I tried. I come around the corner, hit the hazards- come to almost a dead stop, snick it into 3rd and use the brakes all the way down, to keep from over-revving the engine. Horizon is level. Just left of the bottom jib mount you can see the elec poles where the road comes up the other side. Downhill not quite 1/2 a mile to the shop driveway.

20160830_141255.jpg

crane operator

My 25 doing some floor joists. These guys are a good crew, and I think they probably could do these with their skytrack, its just a lot simpler with the crane for a couple hours, versus them fighting all day with the forklift.

20160831_090858.jpg

I've got 2 little steel spreaders, I put on the end of my hook spreaders, hanging from the spreader bar. You can get about 5 floor joists on them. These we just did 3 at a time. This way the floor joists set on the steel bar, they fold up on each other if you use a cable through them. It makes it nicer setting them down in groups if they're all level.

20160831_090907.jpg

One of the things I really like about my 25's is all the jack you have, in a compact package. You can see this jobsite is a little crooked, but I've still got a little daylight on the drivers rears.

20160831_090959.jpg

Last edited:

crane operator

Last few things on Friday. Loaded Rt up, it was headed for the shop. Blew one hose on the job (fixed it there and finished) was leaking from another spot when we got back to the shop. I've fixed more hoses on this crane since we got in January, than I have on all my other cranes- combined. And its the newest crane I have. It turned out to be a leaking plug when we got back to the shop- good for my mechanic, I was thinking about just replacing all the hoses on the whole crane, he doesn't like that idea at all.

20160902_070753.jpg

Last job for the week, Lp tank. I've set several for this guy over the last couple years, he's never got a clue what they will weigh. He told the office 12,000lbs. Office got the dimensions from him of the tank (6'x30'), and I guessed 18,000, it ended up being 22,000 (also was 6'x40', not 6x30). This is where a truck crane vs a boom truck really shines, the day before I was setting trusses at 85', but it can offload and set a 22,000 lp tank. I've actually set a 30,000lbs tank for this guy with my 25 (had my hands full), he was way off on tank size that time to. We did his 53,000lbs one with the 70 ton.

20160902_100233.jpg

Great planning, to put the tank right next to the power line pole :Banghead

Knepptune

Man I do not envy you having to set up on those hills. I've grown to strongly dislike spending an hour throwing cribbing before we can even start working.

crane operator

Few more pictures. This has been our little high rise, I really can't believe we're going to get the steel all with my 70 ton, we've had to do some iron from both sides of the building. It's 10 floors, with a pool and bar on the 10th floor. I had my hands full with the 4 big horizontal beams under the pool. The vertical columns on the outside wall are pretty think flanges also.

20160905_085340.jpg

20160905_085543.jpg

20160905_085633.jpg

crane operator

My poor and hungry (P&H :rolleyes: for you who haven't heard that one). We've had this crane a couple years now. The above job has been a great job for it. It has 126' of main boom (4-section, remote power pin), with a 60' jib (swing around and pull out). From the top side of the above building, we need all the boom, jib and offset, to fill in the inner iron.

20160905_085727.jpg

Its a 1987- t 650, weighs about 93,000- 10' wide carrier, 14.00r20 main rubber. It came with a boom dolly, I decided to get rid of that and add the tag axles. There's one on the rear, and a pusher in front of the tandems. I could really scale with only 1 of the 2 tags, if I could get the weight exactly where I wanted it. But I added both because I wasn't sure I could get my weight equalization right with only the rear tag, or only the pusher in front of the tandems. This way I only need to get around 10,000lbs on each tag.

20160905_085901.jpg

The tags are both air suspension, rear tandem is walking beam, front steers are spring. It actually rides and drives much better with the tags, than it ever did with the dolly. It's way easier to get around corners too. I actually could only leave my shop driveway and head one direction with the dolly, if I went the other way, the road cambered too much, and I'd spin out. It actually rides better than my 3' axle 25 ton's do.

20160905_085921.jpg

Almost forgot- that's right- DETROIT DIESEL -6v92 - If only I could post sound pictures.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Oh my, I get claustrophobic just looking at that mess. Busy site.

I almost had to hold on to the desk when that one popped up on screen, not too good with heights and that last picture got to me! I'd have to think twice about which of those cables were mine!

One of those jobs when you don't want someone walking up and start trying to ask you questions at the wrong time:eek:

openg999

workpics

work pics

Attachments

• 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 266

crane operator

Got to go to the muddy school site yesterday (saturday) and set the a/c units. Had my rt hauled the 75 miles down there- about a two hour trip with truck and trailer. It would have taken 3 to 3 1/2hrs in my 35 (I've driven there before). It was kind of nice just to crawl in the truck and get delivered over there.

Site was dried up pretty well, but still extremely spongey (is that even a word? I know its a soil condition). I left some ruts, and spread out some cribbing, I was pushing pretty hard and didn't want to sink away. Ended up being fine.

20160910_102320.jpg

20160910_102324.jpg

20160910_103339.jpg

Its hard to see in the pictures, but I had out my aluminum double mats, with wood on top. With them I end up with a 4'x3' square, with 3- 4"x8"x30" oak on top. The worst spot pushed down probably 2-3", and I was getting the christmas tree look from the box on the dash. One unit I just set on the roof, they carried it back the last 15' by hand.

Also that's a flag (on the far side of the school) standing straight out right under my boom cylinder, I could set a unit, then just try to slow myself down as the wind pushed me back to the stack on the ground- good times.