• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

lifting a 4-5000lb head section 100' in the air on a 6000lb jib chart. Do you have a jib for your 500e? If so how solid does it feel? One of the things that draws me towards the 540 is the strong jib chart, at 40' it has a 12000lb jib chart where the 500e is 8000lb.

I wouldn't care for doing any big head sections with a current 40 ton truck crane or boom truck jib. My link belt 8640 has a two piece lattice swing away, and it would be the strongest jib I have in that size. That or a tms300.

Really to match up a old tms 300 in a current crane- your looking at a 50-60 ton truck crane, a grove tms700/760e or a link belt 8650/8660. The boom trucks or a tms500 aren't really comparable.

crane operator

Water going in the rock under the road, and the whole area wanted to slide down the hill. Painters working up the hill had gone in at 8, we were there at 10 and it wasn't driveable any more. You could see the gaps opening in the road as we were standing there. It had dropped around a foot to a foot and a half.

They brought in a excavator and when I went back to look at it (we were supposed to go up the hill and set trusses), excavator guy said he was at 55 loads of muck removed and rock laid in- I think he had another 20-30 to go to finish. I just wanted to make sure the road was good before I sent a crane up there. IMG_3428.JPGIMG_3430.JPGIMG_3431.JPG

crane operator

Tag for the 90 is almost done. This was before we got the air and lights done. Its all painted now, and we just have to put new air bags in it.

Had to put some new shoes on the old winch truck. We've been using it for counterweight for the liebherr all the time, because the other truck has the link belt counterweights on it. We were just peeling the old rubber off the truck.

Bought new bags for both the tag axles- the 90 ton and the one we're putting in the KW. Also ordered 8 new bags for the kw. The ones on it are weather checked pretty bad, and I don't want to deal with blown bags one at a time on the side of the road with counterweight on the truck. They will be much easier to change now, before we get the flatbed on.

Still need to find another lift axle for the kw for in front of the drives, I would like to find a steerable. My other 5 axle truck can tend to push the steer axle if the roads are wet, because the other 4 axles are fixed. The used steerables I've been finding are just a little more $$$ than I want to spend.

IMG_3436.JPGIMG_3452.JPGIMG_3453.JPGIMG_3507.JPG

crane operator

Condo building- each "apartment" has its own A/C unit. We put all the new ones up, the techs will spend a couple weeks changing them one at a time, and then we'll come back and take the old ones back down.

My operator said they put 68 units on the roof. IMG_3490.JPGIMG_3492.JPGIMG_3489.JPG

Last edited:

crane operator

This is what the lmi looks like in the link belt 90 ton. Its a whole lot more user friendly than the liebherr system.

Its been raining here, got the flood gates open on the dam again, they were shut for around a week and now they are back running.

Going to have to deal with this tree next week, it nailed a boat dock when it came over. IMG_3451.JPGIMG_3518.JPGIMG_4194.JPGIMG_4192.JPG

Welder Dave

Trailers failing in that curved portion is mentioned in the Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding. The fix was making the bottom curved section out of thicker steel like you did. It looks like it was a little awkward to weld everything in but should do the job.

Welder Dave

Trailers failing in that curved portion is mentioned in the Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding. The fix was making the bottom curved section out of thicker steel like you did. It looks like it was a little awkward to weld everything in but should do the job

Welder Dave

It could clean up with a little grinding. I used to build big skids for vessels and process equipment. We'd stand the skids up on edge and flip them right over so all the welding was flat or horizontal. Would have to crawl under them to tack the checker plate on overhead though. One time some other guys didn't put big enough tacks on the checker plate and it fell off when the skid was on edge in the middle of flipping it over. Thankfully we could all hear the tacks popping and stayed out of the way. It made a big woosh and created a giant dust cloud.

crane operator

Got a plan coming together.

Used tag suspension- $150.
Used 20k KW front cut off $4,000
Old KW steer axle to go with tag suspension- Free
Just got to do a little fabrication and some parts replacement.

From my measurements, I think the 20k front is going to be a "bolt up". I think the front frame forgings are the same as on my truck, and I can just swap springs and pins, and then mount steering boxes. Then I don't have to pull radiator- hood- etc.

1680664229012.jpeg1680664263118.jpeg1680664289497.jpeg1680664371608.jpeg