• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

hvy 1ton

Spotted a crop duster on the way home from church, it must be pretty potent stuff he's spraying, because the tank isn't very big. Tank was on the back of the trailer with the booms. He's got a pretty slick little trailer for hauling it around.

View attachment 265969 View attachment 265970 View attachment 265971

In my very limited experience with helicopter spraying, they've done the really high rate applications. Both times a tender was on the edge of the field and the chopper would land on the tender and get another tank of mix. Every few tanks they'd add just enough fuel to keep it in the air.

crane operator

Had my hands full at the railroad, their older engine is a little heavier than the newer one.

It had a little bit of a gear chewed up, but I think the real problem was behind this gear. I think the main bearing is out. We left it up on blocks and hoping for a traction motor to be built. I fished the chunk of gear out of the grease box.

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2387.JPG IMG_2388.JPG

Natman

Had my hands full at the railroad, their older engine is a little heavier than the newer one.

It had a little bit of a gear chewed up, but I think the real problem was behind this gear. I think the main bearing is out. We left it up on blocks and hoping for a traction motor to be built. I fished the chunk of gear out of the grease box.

View attachment 267088

View attachment 267085 View attachment 267086 View attachment 267087

I didn't know LMI displays went up to 130%! You nailed it, ALMOST needed a bigger crane but not quite. The big nuke research site out in the desert here uses a 50% of max limit on their picks I'm told.

crane operator

What's the point of 2 weight readings
Exactly like they said- one is max capacity- the other is what I had on the hook.

And yes- it will vary up and down a little- it will show more as you are cabling/booming up, and less when cabling or booming down, and settle out when you stop moving.

The big nuke research site out in the desert here uses a 50% of max limit on their picks I'm told.

I think the 50% is kind of ridiculous, especially when you are talking larger weights and cranes. In the railroad engine picture, true capacity (100%) is another 13,500 lbs or so. So if I'm over by 500lbs or so when I'm good for 90,000lbs, I don't get real worried. If you're only good for 2,000lbs, and you're 1,000lbs over, that's a whole different animal. Of course at the nuc site, I could see having big safety margins.

Natman

A retired iron worker I knew paid for his 15 ton boom truck, several times over, by leasing it out to some company out there, months at a time, with little operation, the meter kept running! I fly over the place many times a year (don't get lower then as requested on the sectional, about 1500') , never have wanted to jump thru all the hoops to work there. More nuke reactors in one place then anywhere in the world I think, all research. They developed the Pluto probe battery, 300 watts, 24/7, for 35 years I think it was...., according to the engineer I rode the ski area chairlift with once!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Why is the crane cribbed up on such an angel ? Novice here enjoy seeing your work and glad you are kept busy.
Not to jump in on Crane Operators thread but simple answer would be to get the crane level. Sometimes picture makes it hard to tell how much a grade is when in person it is quite a bit over the length of the frame!