• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

A set of forms and you could make up your own a few every day. Most of the concrete plants here make them up with left over concrete in a plain style- they call them "mafia blocks". Plant usually has 6-8 form sets around with them setting if a truck comes back with extra yards on.

Those on the house have a fancy rock pattern and use a plastic grid, and had gravel in them (big trough)- I'm sure it was all engineered and the gravel is to allow water to come off the property and out/ down the wall.

Mafia blocks look like this:

They are solid and don't let water through, you can stack them and they lock somewhat together on the groove.

mafia blocks.jpg

hvy 1ton

I know of a few of large mafia block walls around that water pours out when it rains. Unsurprisingly, they are all leaning the wrong direction these days. There is an apartment complex were even upper tier, 3 row wall has algae growing on the blocks. Last time they asked for bids to fix it no one responded.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
The solid mafia blocks if they get stacked too high don't hold/ interlock well, and water can get up against the back side and push on them if you don't have good drainage.
Due to a wind turbine farm that takes up 20 miles by 20 miles and expanding as I type, all prices on those are $130 a block which is I was asking on those other you had a picture of. According to my math they are still cheaper than making them myself, but from what I have heard it's just left over concrete a concrete yard has to make them. Also heard they are way cheaper than $130 usually, such as around $50 or less a piece.

hosspuller

What are those blocks called besides retaining wall blocks, look like something I would want to use and maybe make my own.

Concrete companies around here make "Eco" blocks. They use left over concrete the trucks bring back. Set a rebar loop in the mold and dump the truck. The last I bought was $25 each. Weighed 3500 pounds. 2x2x6 feet long. It's a racket.. Customer buys the concrete, and they sell it twice. :rolleyes:

block.jpg

Last edited:

skyking1

all those walls need to be laid back and have drainage installed.
I worked a development where the contractor did not install them properly, and we took them out with big excavators and trashed most of them. I brought a few home but none of the blocks were used in the re-do. What a waste! They were those hand stackable fractured face blocks, about 70# each not those little home depot ones.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

crane operator

Well had to go back to the golf course and set some rocks. Had to fill in with some 0-6" for the counterweight truck to get in, they've got two of those nifty articulated side dumping trucks to run up and down the hill, because its a little sketchy for regular dump trucks.

They had a pump truck scheduled to be on down the hill from us, when we were setting the rocks. First pump truck wouldn't go down the hill- said it was too steep. They sent out a smaller pump truck- and that driver wouldn't go down it either. They poured the next day with a different company.

IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1549.JPG

crane operator

Got some oak from the sawmill for the lowboy floor. Also finally got some drive tires for the link belt that I was happy with. These are Hankook DM 09. Shipped from North Carolina- at $30 per pallet. They must have some of the freight figured in the price of the tires- because I don't know any shipper thats taking 2 pallets from N Carolina to missouri for $60.

The tracking showed them in Little Rock on a Wednesday. On that Thursday by tracking- it went to amarillo- then across new mexico to arizona, and then to tulsa oklahoma. In 10 hours. They think they actually got lost on the dock in little rock- I got them the first of the next week.

I don't have them mounted yet- but at least they are here.

IMG_1550.JPG IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1591.JPG

crane operator

Took apart a old asphalt plant. Some went to a different corner of the quarry to rust to pieces, the rest was headed to wisconsin.

First tank was 90,000lbs or so- pretty good load for a tandem truck and spread trailer, but we stayed all on the quarry property. I think it had a lot of material still in the tank.

IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

crane operator

Drum was around 120,000, they waited for some tires, and then decided they weren't actually moving it anywhere with a tandem truck with no brakes on the trailer. I suggested a loader behind it to at least get it out of the pit- the safety guy gave me the stink eye over that idea.

If I was driving the truck out of the pit- I wouldn't mind a 988 behind me with a bucket full of rock. If you lost a driveline, even with the brakes working I don't think you'd hold it coming out of the pit.

IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1571.JPG

crane operator

Had to move the loading hoppers too. They had built a rock ramp up to the one side, and we had to hook the 10 k telehandler to it with some chain and pull it away from the ramp. It was kind of grown in. Its about 140,000.

Tire man was working on it too.

IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG

crane operator

Had a big day with the link belt. First job was a walk in cooler, then two set ups on two HVAC units a hour south of town. Then taking apart a duct 3 hours drive in the other direction, and then the 2 hours back home. There's a little red light that comes on in the fuel gauge when it gets low. It lit up about 6:00pm on my way home, but I was pretty close to town by then.

IMG_1616 (1).JPG IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618 (1).JPG IMG_1621.JPG

crane operator

3- 40' high top conexes, going side by side to make a bar. I don't know how they are getting under it to wire and plumb or run duct work, and I'm glad I'm not going to have to cut out the interior walls either. there isn't 6" between the bottom of the conexes and the dirt between the footers.

Had to get some comealongs brought out- walls were a little dinged around on the sides, so we had to put the squeeze on the end frames to weld them tight.

IMG_1599 (1).JPG IMG_1601 (1).JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1605.JPG