1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Just some work pics

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by crane operator, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Kiwi-truckwit

Kiwi-truckwit Senior Member

That's about as close as I wanted to get to a live circuit. My loader crane (the red one) was inside the switchyard, from memory it was "only" a 55 kVa, but that's enough to leave a mark IMG_20140312_084345.jpg
    Somewhere I have photos of transmission line work with a bucket mancage, but I can't seem to find it.

2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    The field strength is the Killer, literally. A 7200 line as typical for service around here only has around a 1-2' field around the cable that if you as a ground enter will Arc TO You(Easiest source to ground), where I worked was 345kv, had a SEVEN Foot Circumferential Field where anything got within seven feet it would be incorporated into that field, that is why birds do not fly close to the big Hi Lines as they can Feel that field. Grounding only does so much as generally is done at both ends of a dead cable, anything metal in contact or close proximity will still build static charges that have to be dissipated or can be life threatening. We lost a Electrician at my previous employer to that, he grabbed a recently Ungrounded cable that had built a static charge(DC) popped him and killed him wile still grounded at the Other end. The Earth magnetic field can build a charge in long lays of cable, to the level can be Several HUNDREDS of DC Volts and will still kill you if you are grounded.

Kiwi-truckwit likes this.
  3. Kiwi-truckwit

Kiwi-truckwit Senior Member

We've experienced that before, piling 8 metres from a 220kVa circuit. The reo cage hanging from the crane built up a static charge that was released when the guys on the ground touched it to guide it into the ground.... We got representatives out from the transmission company to tell us why it was happening and how to prevent it.

DMiller likes this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Only thing can do is hard Ground EVERYTHING. We would use Hot Sticks to connect grounding lanyards to Scaffolding or machines sitting long term in the switchyards, could build enough capacitant charge to light one up.

Kiwi-truckwit likes this.
  5. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

We had a repair come in last year. A high power transmission line arced to one of the cylinders on the loader. I asked the service tech to send me a photo. If I ever get one I will post it. The amount of damage was impressive /scary depending on how you think about it. Good thing no one got injured it, but it did leave the operator with his crane stuck in a tree.

DMiller likes this.
  6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

DMiller likes this.
  7. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Quite a ride!
    Windy, would presume they could have been warned

9. Flat Thunder Channel

arced-cylinder.jpg This is a cylinder that got a little too close to high voltage. It vaporized the steel! Now that is scary high power arcing!

doublewide, hvy 1ton, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Just like arc gouging with a welder!!

Flat Thunder Channel likes this.
  11. Flat Thunder Channel

I thought the same thing! Glad I wasn't the one operating the crane! Luckily no one was injured, but it developed into an expensive day on the job.

DMiller likes this.