• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Raildudes dad

I'm the project manager for the design and construction of a 120 foot long replica Brown Truss timber covered bridge. It's a 2nd in a lifetime. I was PM for a replica 100 foot long Brown Truss in Ada Mi back in 1980. Wiki is wrong, it has a 25 foot steel beam approach span on the west end. I'll post photos this weekend of the cranes and trusses. I have some neat lift photos for posting later. I forgot to say we set the 2 trusses in place today.
https://www.facebook.com/RebuildWhitesBridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Covered_Bridge
Here's a drone shot from Facebook The original bridge stood almost 150 years. This one is designed for today's codes. You can see the black steel wind bracing we had to add to the ends LOL. The steel will be covered by the wood siding so it will look the same:).
I have some photos of the picks and we'll have some professional video and time lapse stuff when its finished.

84461828_10220941093905953_7061427964113584128_n.jpg

colson04

Glad to hear your Liebherr is back in action. I can only imagine the pain of investing that much into a machine, only to lose the engine less than a year later. I've had engines and transmissions go out before, but always in worn out junk that was domestic and cheap.

Keep up the good work Crane Operator.

How's the Aeromax project truck coming? I had forgotten about it until i saw it in your pic.

crane operator

That timber truss bridge is really nice, I've been involved in a couple smaller ones of those. I don't think that any county or the state road dept. would rebuild such a thing here in Mo, it would be steel and concrete.

Glad to hear your Liebherr is back in action. I can only imagine the pain of investing that much into a machine, only to lose the engine less than a year later. I've had engines and transmissions go out before, but always in worn out junk that was domestic and cheap.

Keep up the good work Crane Operator.

How's the Aeromax project truck coming? I had forgotten about it until i saw it in your pic.

Aeromax is on the back burner. Still splitting the hauling between the old winch truck (that doesn't have enough wheelbase for bridge) here in town, and the semi and trailer for going out of town.

As for the engine: I'm just thankful that I got a year out of the liebherr before the engine went, at least I had some profits to work with. It could have happened 10 days after I owned it. Not that this isn't going to hurt for a little while, but its not like you can just give up and park it in the weeds, because its expensive to fix. Too much invested.

Its the extra bonus that comes from being able to buy 20 year old $200,000 equipment instead of brand new million+ dollar equipment, there may be some expensive repairs. The liebherr crane is great when its all working right. Its a pain in the a$$ when its not.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Glad to see the girl working again. Remember newer cranes also have engines and transmissions go out

crane operator

It may be just me, but is the cover plate supposed to be sealed to prevent water getting into it.? Looks in the photo as though there are traces of silicone around it.
With that much value in the crane and all the electrical/electronic connections your Liebherr would seem to be a prime candidate for the application of Senson grease & protection tape to electrical connectors (at least the ones associated with the LMI and the boom telescoping function) to prevent the possibility of condensation in connectors causing you headaches. I know it works, we use it on all our kit that gets rained on heavily 365 days a year.

Do you use the vapaguard cubes in your electrical panels also- that they talk about in the cat book? Looks like some kind of dessicant and a "vapor" that is supposed to inhibit corrosion?

Welder Dave

Cat apparently also had some kind of coating they put inside dry steering clutch cases (from the factory) to inhibit corrosion. Don't know what it was but is mentioned in the brochure.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not seen much of anything stop Electrical Corrosion on HE.
Senson stops it - dead in its tracks. My experience based in numerous places, the latest of which gets 300" of rainfall in an average year along with ambient temps that never drop below 70DegF. Perfect breeding ground for corrosion. We apply it to new machines as part of the assembly/commissioning process.
Do you use the vapaguard cubes in your electrical panels also - that they talk about in the cat book? Looks like some kind of dessicant and a "vapor" that is supposed to inhibit corrosion?
Yes we do, and your interpretation of how it works is correct.

I must admit when I was first introduced to it my thoughts were that it was just another snake oil. I will happily admit that I was wrong. If that Liebherr was mine I would be using Senson on all the electrical connections related to the LMI & the controls for boom hydraulics in a heartbeat.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
http://sensontek.com.au/
It looks like the grease is just a dielectric grease, available from any auto parts store, not under their name. The unique thing to me is the little paks.
Their other trick is the amalgamating tape (probably available over the counter) that gets wrapped over every harness connector. It's mentioned in the file I posted above. That's the 2nd line of defence to keep condensation out of connectors.

mitch504

Here's a drone shot from Facebook The original bridge stood almost 150 years. This one is designed for today's codes. You can see the black steel wind bracing we had to add to the ends LOL. The steel will be covered by the wood siding so it will look the same:).
I have some photos of the picks and we'll have some professional video and time lapse stuff when its finished.

84461828_10220941093905953_7061427964113584128_n.jpg

Yeah. I love that: The old one worked for 150 yrs, but it wasn't done right.
My brother built his house on a hill in the edge of the swamp on brick piers. The county heard about it after it was built and an inspector told him he had to jack it up and build new a foundation because it didn't meet hurricane standards. My brother said they were an exact copy of the foundations under most of the 250 yr old houses on the edge of Winyah Bay, 30 miles closer to the ocean. The inspector said it didn't matter. My brother ended the discussion by pointing out how many alligators he had on his property, and how hungry they were.

I wish you would start a new thread for this bridge project so we could see it all together.

hosspuller

Apparently the Senson Grease has a vapor anti-corrosion property.
From their site FAQ: …" It is impregnated with vapour phase corrosion inhibitors" … It has a 60 month shelf life from manufacture date.

Any US sources or equivalents ?