• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Those modern epoxies work very well. I've actually seen it used on hydraulic cranes in the past and it is gaining in popularity. Never have seen anything reused, but this setup makes field repair a lot easier.

We always in later years mounted equipment, (especially in seismic areas) with epoxy anchor adhesive and all thread rod rather than conventional "Red Head" fasteners. So much easier to use as anchor studs would not need to be "spot on" in some cases.

crane operator

See, we were on this crooked jobsite, and we got jib mounted, big pain of a jobsite. It was late, and I was going to lay the block down on the truck before we tied it down, shut crane off too soon. Not far to the shop, it will ride. Steel block, steel deck, what could go wrong?

Well it did, just down the hill from the shop, it slid just a little on the corner before, and I thought "I'll just take it easy, its just two corners- through the S- curve, and down the hill to the shop, it will be fine."

We ended up taking the galion down there and picking it up out of the ditch. It was about 5' from being 30' down in the creek, so it could have been worse, or in the oncoming lane. I'd make silly comments about improperly secured loads, taking time and doing it right every time, etc. etc.

I'd love to blame it on everyone else on the jobsite too, but I know the guy that was driving the truck, and he even stopped to tighten it down once on the way back because it was looking a little sketchy. A old mudflap between the block and the deck, or a wood block and having it laid down, and it would have ridden to wyoming. Cutting corners is how it all goes downhill. And I know better:rolleyes:.

20191120_162927.jpg

dirty4fun

The old say of not enough time to do it right, but time enough to fix it, kind of comes to mind. Yes steel to steel is not good, it's amazing how we get by at times. I hauled 40 sheets of roof steel on a wood pallet, and had two straps over the top. I only had 6 miles to go to the the shop. When I got there not a sheet on the pallet. I should of wrapped a couple straps around the pallet, but thought oh that will ride, wrong.

f311fr1

I had a contractor hauling 300 feet of 1 inch schedule 80 seamless pipe to an out of town job the evening before starting. The next morning I get a call that some one has stolen all the pipe off the trailer. I get my other trailer and go buy 300 more feet of pipe. While hauling it to the job i look to the right of the exit ramp and there lays all the original order of pipe. It was about 95 degrees that day, but I did manage to get it all picked up, loaded, strapped, and delivered to the job. The contractor asked why I brought so much pipe. He was rather red faced when I told him where the "extra" pipe came from.

crane operator

CO check out Moxley Industrial Auction. Cranes and rigging. 5 day sale

Looks like a lot of big iron, very poorly presented. 6.5% buyers premium isn't a good way to try to sell million dollar cranes either. But the heavy duty spreader bars and rigging is always fun to look at, thanks. The real boss has the brakes on things right now, she thinks two cranes this year is enough, especially when one is in the shop in pieces. :rolleyes:

Put some roofing materials up with the 70 ton, and a bunch of package units with the 100 ton.20191118_094631.jpg 20191120_081347.jpg

crane operator

Cell phone tower site. Had to have them pull the fence out. I also called the highway patrol, and had them come out when we backed in there. Its in a bad spot on the highway between two s-curves, and everyone flies on that road and its busy. I could just see someone plowing us trying to back in there.

When I loaded the counterweights back up, I had to use the hand throttle a little to get rolling coming out of there, between the brakes and clutch, I didn't have another foot for the throttle. It was steep enough that the park brakes were creeping a little when I stopped the counterweights to unload them too. Put a block under the tires for extra security.

20191120_155620.jpg 20191120_155559.jpg 20191120_155547.jpg 20191120_155542.jpg

crane operator

The new little 40 ton crane has a air bag walking beam set up. Only bad thing about it, is if you forget to dump the bags, when it goes up on jacks, I think it puts a lot of strain on the retainer. Both sides were all torn up, I've got the passenger side fixed now, and I boxed in the bottom of the square tubing also, thinking that would make it a little stronger. That and I may interlock the pto, so if it gets engaged, the bags automatically deflate.

20191122_104017.jpg 20191122_104030.jpg 20191122_135229.jpg 20191122_152255.jpg

crane operator

The second tank was even longer, and it came with two pic lugs on each end. I asked the fuel guys why two lugs, so they called the factory. "If its going to hang for very long, you should use both lugs on each end, but if its just off the trailer and into the hole, you should be fine just using one lug on each end."

That's just nonsense- it either needs all the lugs or it doesn't, so we used all four lugs. Its really nice when they put the lugs clear on the outside ends, so you have to drag out 100' of rigging also.

20191126_100919.jpg 20191126_102753.jpg 20191126_102756.jpg 20191126_103715.jpg

crane operator

Gussets on the clevis ears?

I was going to make all new clevis ears, and just make them with a long gusset in them, or just weld on gussets. Either would work, but really, the damage is all just from not dumping the air in the bags, I think the boxed in base should make this work, if not, I can always add the gussets. Its kind of a poor design.