• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Dam that’s exciting, that is a beautiful machine. I like the work you’ve been doing, I swing a lot of trusses and enjoy it , but that commercial work is what gets the blood going and is almost always interesting. But the best thing is seeing your kids grow into young adults congratulations.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to add the congrats on all points!! Liebherr looks like will do you quite well. Son looks like you have taught him well! New feed mill is impressive on its own, adding the inside structure thru the windows is just as impressive.

crane operator

Nice having that much live stick eh?
I was running 148', and had the thought that its really only 12' longer than my old 35 ton with dead stick and jib out (136'). And I could have set up my old 35 and put jib and dead stick in, in a lot less time, than it took me to set pads, hang weights, and run all that stick out with only 1 telescope cylinder.

But no way could I touch that kind of weight at 95':).

Remember the big tank we laid down a couple days ago?, well its been sitting there ever since, waiting on permits. Today they finally figured out they aren't getting permits at 17' 6" tall, so we rolled it 180 degrees. Put the big flange on the bottom, making it 6" shorter.

Tandem pick with a overhead crane? No problem, glad to do it- because I didn't have a second crane and operator available, and it must be a big rush job to get it wherever its going. Got the call at 10:00 and I was there by 12:00, sometimes it works out like that.

First we unloaded it from the trailer, rolled it, then reloaded it on the trailer.

Snuck in a couple big snatch blocks and some cables and rolled it with a pair of forklifts. One to lift and one to brake. When those big flanges came over the top they really took off.

20190515_125349.jpg 20190515_130554.jpg 20190515_134603.jpg 20190515_142127.jpg

crane operator

Liebherr uses about 8 little panels, all held on with body clips, to cover the engine area. They had all been taken off, and I've got them. They are a royal pain to take on and off.

I think just two panels held on by a couple nuts sure looked a lot cleaner and easier to deal with. So a sheet of aluminum tread plate, some angle, a little self etching primer and grey paint, and we've got a properly modified engine cover. I'm going to make a couple access holes in the upper one for checking oil and adding oil.

Also, a 3 sheave block is all that came with the crane. So I found a 5 sheave block. Sister hooks. And no it wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than a new one.

20190516_160249.jpg 20190516_164639.jpg 20190515_170839.jpg

crane operator

I've got 2 mats built. Planing on 2 more. 4' x 6' x 6" tall. Smooth side down on the bottom tread plate, so I don't leave a nice diamond pattern in someones warm asphalt.

I had the i-beam. Bought the rectangular off craigslist, and the tread plate from a guy that sells seconds/ rusty rejects. I don't care if its nice clean new metal or not, crank up the heat and burn it in.

The first one I did the lifting lugs on the short side, but I'm switching that one and did the second one on the long side. Makes it easier to get the pads up on them.

Engineered by the "that looks about right" method of construction.

20190511_090035.jpg 20190511_173416.jpg 20190518_141548.jpg 20190518_160705.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pretty funny
As to the hatches enganears generally do not build or design to work on as too busy being ingeniass
Work looks well thought out and easier on maintenance time
A lot of the old machines I worked on and in had the access panels discarded years before I got to them

crane operator

Had a little wind storm saturday, so this was sunday morning project.Sycamore broke off about 15' up, you can see the trunk in front of the porch. Laid the rest right on the roof, stuck through in a couple spots. I'm guessing the whole roof and trusses will come off to fix it, they were twisted every direction.

They had all the little stuff off by the time I got there. I pulled off one leader sticking over to the side, and then took the rest in one shot.

20190519_091308.jpg 20190519_094331.jpg

Kiwi-truckwit

Had a little wind storm saturday, so this was sunday morning project.Sycamore broke off about 15' up, you can see the trunk in front of the porch. Laid the rest right on the roof, stuck through in a couple spots. I'm guessing the whole roof and trusses will come off to fix it, they were twisted every direction.

They had all the little stuff off by the time I got there. I pulled off one leader sticking over to the side, and then took the rest in one shot.

View attachment 196958 View attachment 196959
Bad day for the homeowner for sure. We're just coming into winter here and there's been an influx of tree removals, usually sick trees that have already dropped a limb or 2.
One was a poplar tree that dropped a limb in the sandpit of a pre-school. That had to be removed with a 220 ton crane, radius was around 160'.

crane operator

Glad you got to learn something hosspuller. The sister hooks (CM doesn't know what they are talking about) are kind of nice if you have 4 big cable chokers to put on, its less of a mess than on a single hook. Where they are a pain is if you have a 4 way cable spreader with a single lifting ring. I always try to have a big (blue 20k single- 40k basket) 4' endless round sling, that you can lay in both sister hooks and basket through the lifting ring. Then it all hangs straight from both hooks.

See, now you learned what sister hooks are, and how to deal with them in the real world.

Also, that "form B" hook they show with the center hole for single point lifting, are a real pain. A shackle big enough to throat that hook by that center hole, is more shackle than I want to deal with on a regular basis.