1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just read some sad news

Discussion in 'Gone But Not Forgotten' started by Welder Dave, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I just read my high school welding teacher had passed away last year a few weeks shy of 73. What made it even sadder was reading he struggled with dementia for the last 6 years of his life. Even after graduating he was someone I could go to for advice and let me build a few projects as a former student. Just an all around great person. He also let a retired judge come in the shop and make metal ornaments. Probably the most liked teacher in the school. There are some people that really leave an impression on you and help shape your future. He was one of those people and I will always remember him fondly.

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    As someone who is just a few years short of that age I can have strong feelings about his situation.

Know a couple who we used to ride motorcycles with for many years the wife has totally lost all memory of of who her husband is and even gets mad at him for talking with the young girl who stops over now and then, that his her daughter and mother of her two grandsons who are both in college!

I'm hoping I never get to that stage! Guess we have been "lucky?" in our family as I can't recall anyone suffering that way at least as far as my grandparents on mom or dads side.

3. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

My father is in stage 4 of Alzheimer's as we speak. Its really a sad situation, even worse for my poor mother. We have a lot of history in my family with these type of brain diseases.

4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Alzheimer's is a tough thing to witness. My mom just turned 96 this last Nov 3rd.

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I can relate. I'm the nearest relative to a 93 year-old aunt who is slowly retreating from the World. It's difficult to witness it when you remember what she was like only a couple of years ago when she had all her marbles.
    Having said that, up until very recently she smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. She's bipolar, and many years ago had about half of her stomach removed to treat an ulcer long before the modern miracle drugs came on the scene. TBH we're amazed she's made it this far .........!!