• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just heard about a diesel shortage?

chidog

I think in the how high can it go thread we talked about airline fuel. Well in an emergency diesel engines can burn kerosene, trucks are more important than vacations on planes, right?
Anyone here know how much fuel a normal jet engine on say a 737 burns per hour?

joe--h

https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditi...el-shortage-eastern-half-us-freightwaves-says
Major trucking fleets across the eastern half of the US are preparing for an "imminent" diesel shortage, according to logistics firm FreightWaves.

Founder and CEO of FreightWaves Craig Fuller said "3 very large fleets" are preparing for diesel pumps at fuel stations to run dry. Drivers of these fleets received notifications about fuel shortages that could materialize in the coming weeks across the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions.

Major truckstop chains Loves and Pilot warning about imminent diesel shortages in the eastern half of the US

— Craig Fuller (@FreightAlley) May 11, 2022
Fuller tweeted several messages that drivers received from fleet operators. The notifications were alarming.

pic.twitter.com/yFYyjzYMWE

Another one pic.twitter.com/eQak0zptQW

pic.twitter.com/b4kHLpmeIl

We’ve confirmed with a number of fleets they are hearing consistent messages from the stops

Georgia, Carolinas, Maryland, and Pennsylvania - were the specific areas that could be impacted. We heard that as many of 25% of their retail locations could see shortages in the East

He also tweeted what appears to be an unnamed industry insider explaining the historic mess hitting Mid-Atlantic and Northeast markets is a combination of crude being diverted from the US to Europe and supply chains issues along the East Coast.

chidog

Google says 5000 pounds (750 gallon) per hour. About 0.67 mpg for plane and close to 100 mpg/passenger.
I can do a lot of digging with 750 gallons of fuel.
Yeah but if the plane is close to empty then that mpg/ passenger goes way down. No matter it is still a huge fuel depletion, what is the daily world wide jet fuel burn? I bet it beats all other forms of transportation.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A manufactured shortage done by the oil companies. There was plenty of oil in Canada and private service stations made a bundle. Oil companies took over most all the private entities and got smart on how to make huge profits. Bohica!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
We had something similar a while back here with full widespread power loss for days and 1 station open with a generator. Line was like half a mile. I always keep extra in the truck so never needed to wait in that line but I was thinking the difference between now and 1973 is that now you could go down to the station at 3am and use your card, maybe. That was my plan back then but never needed to use it.