• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just happened on this old film...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Has been Cat and Allis dozers done this way
Not sure if ever an IH
Knudsen had them custom built

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Watching some of these old movies wonder how many OSHA/MSHA laws were written because of some of the methods and conditions shown in them.

Also wonder how today's operators would react to the open cabs and dusty conditions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Watching those old spring supported crawlers jar the peewaddins out of the operators makes my back ACHE!!!

colson04

Man I wish Scrub was still around. He would enjoy this video. Thanks, Dave for posting this. I've driven over that dam hundreds of times, and every time I think about how it was built. :)

It is a very impressive dam, and the reservoir area that was flooded when they finished is equally impressive. Made some great pike and walleye fishing.

I lost an alternator on that dam while passing through from Minot to Killdeer on a Sunday afternoon. I got it to a parking area west of the bridge and waited for a tow for 3 hours. $650 for a tow from Pick City to Dickinson.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Interesting video. A big engineering company that I worked for in the mid 70's, was working on this type of pumped storage project. We were trying to locate the right type of rock and the right location somewhere in New England. Maine and Mass. were where we concentrated our efforts. I left the company while they were still working on this, but I do not believe they ever got any utilities interested in actual construction, due to the projected costs.

DIYDAVE

Watched another one, tonite. Kinda neat, has old AC farm stuff, for the 1st 2/3 of it, and some construction stuff, towards the end. Would hate to haveta drive the D grader, with that loader attachment, on it. Mine takes quite a bit of gtound, to turn around, with just the grader, itself on...;)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Track dressing grade is real time BORING!! Love the vids Dave. Slow little machines back in the day. Taum Sauk pumped storage was my previous employers bad day. Lasted some forty
+ years but then failed due to stupid actions on Remote operation. They did the construct RIGHT the second time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Y'all can laugh at my worn slick Allis and how slow I am in operating. This was as I dug the House foundation hole with it, I am cumbersome and awkward but managed to get the ramps built for the Concrete trucks down each side. Trans was having bad days, had started to leak in the steering control lines, not long after this vid I had to swap that transmission and replace the steering feed lines. Old slick shoes were not helping, this was as I encountered the Flint layer where had to get help busting thru that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to admit, that Ulrich bucket was ALSO NO HELP!!! Worked but one heavy SOB! Added to the awkwardness of the old machine, nose heavy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I suspect the Allis 344 is the ONLY strong part remaining on the old machine!! The little guy watchin over me was neighbors Dog. Tyson(As was a Fighter runt), he was my straw boss no matter what I was doing, probably weighed 8 lbs he was picked up by a traveler down our main road and hauled off. Miss that little guy.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Y'all can laugh at my worn slick Allis and how slow I am in operating. This was as I dug the House foundation hole with it, I am cumbersome and awkward but managed to get the ramps built for the Concrete trucks down each side. Trans was having bad days, had started to leak in the steering control lines, not long after this vid I had to swap that transmission and replace the steering feed lines. Old slick shoes were not helping, this was as I encountered the Flint layer where had to get help busting thru that.

Your going to be famous now! :D. Nice work .