• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just got my MF tractor

46Willys

Just had my Massey-Ferguson 50F delivered. This thing is a jewel in the ROUGH. It starts and runs great. I'm told that the brakes haven't worked for 20 years. Wheel bearings are shot. Various pivot points are loose. Two of the loader cylinders leak profusely. And, most importantly, the steering has quit working completely. The steering wheel just spins round and round without a hint of steering. Yes, this was full of excitment unloading it from the semi-truck. Hard to complain alot though, the tractor cost me a sum total of two cans of beer and the cost of delivery. Hence the tractor's name - Tubers (two beers) I'm sure the over all cost will be much higher when I start in on the repairs.

I was under the impression that this tractor was a 50A but now that I have it in my possession, I see that it is labeled a 50F. A few weeks ago, I asked questions about the weight of a 50A and I was directed to "tractor data . com, which is a great site. However, I cannot find info for the 50F. I would really like to find the page for the 50F. Help?

So now, the fun begins. First, find a manual. Next, fix the big leaks. I have a local hydraulic repair shop that can rebuild the leaky cylinders. I am hoping that when I get the leaks fixed and change the hydraulic oil (it is a nice milky white) and fill it up properly (it is very low now) that maybe the steering will begin to work again.

Serial number 2882X2605. I would also like to figure out a year of manufacture.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, especially regarding the steering issue. This is my first back hoe and I have lots to learn.

Thanks in advance,
Will

Attachments

• IMG_20140512_115354_943smaller.jpg
    IMG_20140512_115354_943smaller.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20140512_163752_777smaler.jpg
    IMG_20140512_163752_777smaler.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20140512_163821_579smaller.jpg
    IMG_20140512_163821_579smaller.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20140512_163836_518smaller.jpg
    IMG_20140512_163836_518smaller.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 259

Delmer

The older MF's had a separate power steering pump on the side of the engine with it's own reservoir. The PS hoses underneath tended to crack or get "snagged".

Are your front wheel bearings the issue?

46Willys

Thanks guys. All helpful. Especially the possibility that the PS pump is seperate. I really need to find a maintenance manual for many of these details.

The wheel bearing are very loose, but I believe the real problem is hydraulic. So far, I steer it by lifting the front wheels with the bucket, jumping down, and turning the front wheels by hand. This is when I noticed the condition of the wheel bearings. The wheels turned easily, just no hydraulic power to them.

I think it is worth saving. With enough beer, I'll know it.

Will

Last edited:

Tinkerer

I worked on a MF 50 that had the same issues. The oil tank on top of the pump had a felt washer that was supposed to be on the bolt that held the lid on. Someone had inadvertently got it separated from the bolt and it was in the bottom of the tank plugging the hole that allowed the oil down into the gears.

46Willys

Well, that would be nice if it were that simple. I will definitely look for that.

Now, I just have to find the PS pump....

Thanks!