• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just bought a used 2012 cat 236b3

Hey folks I’m new here so please bear with me. Please don’t feel the need to bash me for what I’m about to post. I fear I made a serious mistake and I will have to deal with the consequences. I hope I’m wrong but we shall see.

I received a call the other day from Proxibid stating that I had failed to pay for an auction I had won. I didn’t initially remember signing up for Proxibid but I now remeber I had the week before while looking at various equipment auctions. I was put in contact with auction house who informed me that I could wind up in jail for fraud if I didn’t follow through with the auction. I remeber looking at the auction and placing a low low bid and I think that my young son continued to bid on the item while I was helping my mother move (I kept him busy watching videos on my iPad). So I followed through because I have been in the market for a skid steer to use on my property for snow removal and various projects and I believe a contract is a contract. I also got a brand new 66” brush grapple with the machine in addition to the bucket pictured below.

Long story short I just bought used 2012 Cat 236b3 with unknown hours. Here is the listing that shows the, item sold 2 weeks prior (I don’t know why he has sold the machine multiple times unless he is shill bidding because a lot of his equipment gets “sold” but relisted) on AuctionTime that I found by searching for the machines serial number.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...pment/auction-results/24581613/2003-cat-236b3

The owner never mentioned anything about needing a jump to start when I asked him about the machine and he insisted it was a good running skid steer and he had been using it around the yard. The auction I got it from never mentions the need for a jump and it had less pictures. I know people paint used machinery in the hopes of hiding abuse and neglect and I understand that often the appearance of abuse and neglect will be reflective of preventative maintenance.

I know when this arrives I will need to go over it head to toe and hope for the best.

My plan of action is as follows:
Replace ALL fluids and filters
Take it to cat for an inspection after fluids are changed.
Have cat adjust valves in engine appears healthy
Have drive chain tension inspected and adjusted
Have auxiliary lines reattached where they are supposed to be (auction house says they are present but not reattached after being painted)
Replace all missing windows
Install replacement boots on the pilot controls
Replace all rear lights

Am I missing anything?

Can actual hours be pulled from the computer?

The reviews online of this auction house are not good. Frankly I’m very very worried at the moment. I’m not buying this machine to make money. I’m only buying for use around my property and house. I anticipate 50-100 hours of use a year. I’m $14k into the machine. I’m budgeting $5k for initial maintenance and plan to do whatever I can myself.

Thought or ideas? Anything you guys see in the photos the are glaring at you and I’m missing?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tags

Welcome to the forum.....I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound good.... You say 2012 and the ad says 2003....you haven't received it yet? How are you getting it, did you arrange shipping or did the "auction house" arrange shipping? I hope you get the machine, when you do, then you can make an assessment of what the unit needs.

It’s a previous auction from him selling it on AuctionTime 2 weeks prior to him reauctioning it on proxibid.

It’s actually it a 2012 and he wasn’t listing it as a 263b3 just a 263b. He has had it listed on multiple websites as a “call for price” type listing. He has since began removing those I’ve noticed.

They arranged shipping for the skidsteer and grapple. I’m actually not too waitress about getting it. What worries me is what will I get.....

If you don’t mind me asking is it just red flags that weee worrying as far as fraud or what you were seeing in regards to the machines overall condition?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Not that it helps you now, but the only online auction I am comfortable with is Iron Planet. I am sure some of the others are good as well, but I have bought a lot of equipment off IP and never had an issue with anything.

As to the machine, you have a lot to be concerned about. You cant really know what you will be faced with until you see the machine. I hope you actually see the machine. You also should call your local Sheriffs Office and have the PIN number checked through NCIC and confirm that it is not stolen. The multiple listings and relisting of the machine is a serious concern to me. He could have bought it back numerous times, depending on the auction house that may be within the rules and may not be. Assuming you get a working machine you may come out ok price wise. Was transport included in the purchase price? I find that odd in an auction scenario if that is the case. If it were me, I would take the machine to CAT when you get it and spend $500 on getting it looked over and let them tell you what it needs. Then decide what you want them to do and what you can do yourself. Please keep us informed I would like to hear how this goes.

No shipping price was not included. CAT will be going through it and I was quoted $250 for the inspection you mention. I’m 14k into this right now. Shipping should be early next week from talking with them. Shipping was $2700 of the price.

I’m fairly sure he is shill bidding on his auction instead of setting a reserve because he made a comment about “it wasn’t supposed to sell at that price” and the large number of relisted items.

His entire auction stock is listed on machinery trader as “call for price”. Mine has been removed from his upcoming auction already and he does deliver his goods it’s just seeing his reviews he has some complaints about inaccurate machine descriptions.

But people only tend to post complaints and not praise.

I will keep this a thread updated with questions I have as this moves along. I know I’m going to have plenty!

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Holy crap....my scam alert just went off like crazy....even if the auction is ligit....run a lien check right off the bat...i would NEVER buy something auction without seeing it myself...or have someone look at it on mybehalf...man i hope it all works out for you.....boosting it is not that bad....could be bad battery or if not run in long time...battery can drain with clock..etc....good luck and enjoy.

Quick update. Skid steer shipped today and I’m hoping it will be here around the end of the week.

Welder Dave

First off did you ask your son if he was bidding on it or you just think he might have? Do you have a history of the bids or did they just put the price at the minimum they wanted and tagged you as the buyer? There's something missing here???

Lol (but only kind of funny). My son is pretty young. I had the page open and that’s my fault. The company that was running the auction is who the bids went through and not the equipment company. 2 separate companies would have had to conspire on one auction that is small time compared to a lot of the equipment on their website. I probably made that sound more confusing than I had too.....

L&L equipment only had my email address. I was first contacted by proxibid who was the company that was running the auction for L and L equipment. All the emails were going to my junk email for some reason and honestly I’ve never looked at the file in my life before this happened. I don’t know what alogorhthym google used to declare email junk email but it seems to snare real email at times.

My internet history has the auction accessed but does not show individual bids. I’m sure if I wanted to fight these people I could have but honestly I made a mistake and left something open on my browser in reach of a small child, I was legitimately in the market for a skidsteer and if the seller has been truthful with me I will be quite happy.

The integrity to accurately describe the skidsteer is the only thing that I am worried about at this point.

I will post more when it arrives. I have my local cat dealer scheduled to do a 2000hr service and a complete inspection when it gets here. I’m tempted to do the majority of the service myself but I wouldn’t be willing to take on adjusting valves right away. I’m hoping that will be a good start towards having it ready to use pretty quick.

Reactions: DB2

Well the skidsteer arrived.

Started right up with a jump in 20 degree weather. Puff of white smoke and that was it. Idles smooth. Belt sounds bad.

They said the hour meter was “broken” but I reattached the wires that someone appears to have taken off. Hour meter shows 7896.8. Yikes. Cat said they will try and confirm this from the ecu.

Both boots for the control sticks are torn and fluid is leaking from one of them. I think that will need replaced.

Door is missing the windshield wiper, motor and seal. The roof has a dent on it and the top roof window is missing. Only one window is present between the 2 sides of the cab. Rear window will need to be resealed.

Equipped with heat and ac but the blower motor doesn’t appear to turn on and it looks like the ac compressor is missing.

There are few minor leaks noted in the engine compartment but not enough to drip. There were no noticeable leaks under the ,aching after sitting for 5 days on the back of a flat bed.

Auxiliary hydraulics were removed back to the beginning of the boom (no idea why).

Machine had just enough fuel to get off of the trailer before it died. We put 5 gallons in and it had no problem continuing to run after that. I ran it around the yard and it seemed to run normal.

Tires are brand new caterpillars branded tires.

Cat will be doing a full inspection by Tuesday and I will decide on how to proceed then. A 2000hour service will be performed regardless.

I’m nervous. The hours are extremely high but the engine seems to be good. The gentleman helping me at cat said this is far from a bad auction machine but I wouldn’t know the difference.

I’ll post more when I get my inspection report.

Rv2ojin.jpg

jacobd

Wow that is a lot of hours on the meter! Firing right up with no smoke is a good sign though. As is no leaks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the engine's been replaced. That might explain the A/C compressor and belt situation. Torn boots and leaky pilots are to be expected. Sounds like you didn't get a totally raw deal at least.

crane operator

I looked at the pictures on the auction and the one you posted, it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary, just been used hard. The dents and dings are to be expected on a hard used machine, probably from a concrete paving outfit or something like that.

Doesn't look like a bad machine for $14,000 to your door.

Wow that is a lot of hours on the meter! Firing right up with no smoke is a good sign though. As is no leaks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the engine's been replaced. That might explain the A/C compressor and belt situation. Torn boots and leaky pilots are to be expected. Sounds like you didn't get a totally raw deal at least.

I hadn’t considered the engine having been replaced until you mentioned the AC compressor. I thought it was odd to be missing. Normally people just remove a belt if it’s an individual belt. From quickly looking at the engine it appeared that there is a pulley with two grooves and my simple assumption is the a second belt drove the compressor. I will be replacing at least one of the pilot controls. Only one was leaking the other just had a small amount white looking corrosion around the valve but no obvious leaks. It may have even been frost. It was really cold.

As above, the hours on the meter and the visual condition of little or no smoke when fired up lead to a conclusion that the engine may not be the original. Post a S/N from the machine and the engine - I can tell you if that engine was in it when it left the factory.

Yeah you guys are leading me to believe that the engine is not original (which is good in this scenario). I don’t have the machine at home until next week at the earliest. I’ll post if cat catches the status of the motor (original vs replaced) on the inspection and if they dont say anything I’ll post the numbers when it’s at my house.

I hope you get lucky. I've seen some really bad stuff come from auctions.

The yard guy at cat and the delivery driver kept saying that it’s nice machine compared to a lot of deliveries they make and receive from auctions. The inspection and time will be the true test.

One thing I noticed initially when the machine was first started is the left side wheels were reluctant to move. It may have been the pilot controlls sticking or really cold hydros. But after the yard guy attempted to move or twice with very brief pushes on the sticks everything came to life and rolled smooth and straight. Could that be due to the cold or is that a symptom of a bad drive motor? The yard guy said they are really twitchy when cold so he didn’t have any concerns about that initial moment.

Does anyone know any good resources for parts diagrams online?

I’m disappointed assuming the hours are accurate (which I do) but hopeful that the machine will be good to me. I’m begining to think my original budget for maintenance won’t be enough but I’ll know soon enough.

I’ll keep posting as things progress and thanks everyone for your input.

crane operator

It could blow the engine or pumps tomorrow. That's equipment. But you aren't counting on this thing to make a living. At 100 hours a year, it would take you 70 years to put the hours on it that it has now.

I wouldn't spend much $ on it until you get it running for a while and see what you have. The cat man can do a "inspection" on it, but he doesn't have x-ray vision to see inside the engine pumps and cylinders. You're in the same boat as any of us, you're going to run it until something breaks, and then fix what's broke. It starts, goes back and forth and up and down, I don't think you can ask much more out of auction equipment.

I've run way older stuff, that looked way more beat on than that thing looks. I think you did okay. You can't spend too many hours fretting about what might go wrong. Run it.
"

It could blow the engine or pumps tomorrow. That's equipment. But you aren't counting on this thing to make a living. At 100 hours a year, it would take you 70 years to put the hours on it that it has now.

I wouldn't spend much $ on it until you get it running for a while and see what you have. The cat man can do a "inspection" on it, but he doesn't have x-ray vision to see inside the engine pumps and cylinders. You're in the same boat as any of us, you're going to run it until something breaks, and then fix what's broke. It starts, goes back and forth and up and down, I don't think you can ask much more out of auction equipment.

I've run way older stuff, that looked way more beat on than that thing looks. I think you did okay. You can't spend too many hours fretting about what might go wrong. Run it.
"

I agree completely. Main thing I want is the cab intact and the heater running while plow. I’ve shoveled, ran a snow blower and plowed with a 4 wheeler for long enough. I ready to be a tad bit warmer mid winter!

Even cat said I don’t have to worry about leaky pilot controls until they stop working. The leaking is just a matter of cleanliness.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does anyone know any good resources for parts diagrams online?

A genuine Cat Parts Manual and Operator Manual would probably be the best investment you could make when it comes to running and looking after it. I'm assuming the machine Serial Number is the A9H02916 listed in the auction, which makes sense because it takes me to a 236B3 machine.

Go to the link below: -
https://catpublications.com/
When the popup window appears select "Continue as a Guest"
Parts Manual - Type SEBP5921 in the box at the top of the screen and hit Search - $89 for a downloadable pdf. Same price for the same document on a CD but it will cost you shipping & handling on top. $104 for a paper book (plus S&H at a higher rate obviously)
Operation & Maintenance Manual - Type SEBU8495 in the box and do the same. $66 for a pdf download.

A genuine Cat Parts Manual and Operator Manual would probably be the best investment you could make when it comes to running and looking after it. I'm assuming the machine Serial Number is the A9H02916 listed in the auction, which makes sense because it takes me to a 236B3 machine.

Nige I appreciate all of your help and advice.

When using the parts manual should I be using each individual part number or does the parts number at the top of a page cover all parts on the page as a whole?

Is there anywhere online that you recommend buying parts?

Thanks

Welder Dave

I wouldn't be too concerned about the hour meter. Someone could have left the key on or there was an electrical problem and it didn't shut off. Maybe that's why it was disconnected? Still don't understand how your young son could have kept upping the bid. Somebody has a record of the bidding.