• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I do believe it’s the right clutch. 3 truck shops came up with the same part number

JPV

My experience is a new clutch will slip a little in high gear when romped on until it gets broke in a little. It usually seems like it takes less then 20 miles to get it to hook up, how many miles have you run it?

Old Doug

We have a truck like it at work its very high geared with the same trans.I put a clutch in it before the presser plate was castiron all i could get was a stamped steel. The driver called and said it slipped on the first hill. He isnt easy to read. Its been maybe 4 years and its steal working.

Mike L

Occupation
My experience is a new clutch will slip a little in high gear when romped on until it gets broke in a little. It usually seems like it takes less then 20 miles to get it to hook up, how many miles have you run it?
I doubt I have 20 miles on it yet. It’s not registered so I’ve just been cruising around the back roads here. I got a trucker buddy who claims that it’s normal and will come out of it. I’ve done a ton of clutches and have only had one complaint of slipping and it came out of it within a day. Time will tell

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Don't fix that clutch the way that I did on a motorcycle when I was a teenager! Cash and parts were tight when I owned the Hodaka Combat Wombat back in high school. I was always inventive so I did what any aspiring mechanic/engineer would think to do - add grit to the worn out clutch disks of that worn out piece of junk so I could keep on riding. I placed a large magnet behind the bench grinder, grabbed a pair of vise grips and proceeded to grind down a number of 16p steel nails for the grit. I superglued that powdered metal to the clutch disks after a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. My fix worked great but it took a couple months of riding to get the clutch to finally fully release. I sold it before the rest of my "fixins" wore off the plates.

Trust me, I know better than that these days. Fix it right the first time or don't mess with it at all. Here's to hoping that the parts seat in just fine. Just like brake pads and rotors, a little wear in will make it all better.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
CM's hit list is a good starting point.

I'll always have my own rig, not that it really matters cause I doubt I'll go back to working for someone else but that's a different story. It's really nice if something happens to have your own rig and stuff and be working tomorrow or same day.

Mike L

Occupation
JLarson, that’s one of the things I like about this offer. While technically I’ll be an employee I will have a ton of independence. He’s setting up a program where the operator will file a complaint and I would get a notification on my phone or tablet and make my schedule accordingly.

Mike L

Occupation
good luck finding anything when ur done

I actually tried to keep it organized as similar as I could to the Ford but I’m already scratching my head and I’m. It done yet. It’s hard to believe I had so much stuffed in the Ford. I went from a 11’ body to a 14’ and I’m a bit more spread out but I don’t have as much extra room as I thought I would.

Mike L

Occupation
Well the kenworth is loaded and running. The clutch will still slip a little if I stomp on the throttle. Plugged into it today and found out it’s set at 360 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque. From what I’ve found, my clutch is rated for 860 ft lbs of torque. It’s fine if I drive it like an adult should. Dead man switch in the crane controller failed today. Robbed one from my fords controller to get me going and ordered a new one. Anyone on here that has an IMT service body should definitely check out QT equipment out of Akron OH. These guys stock a ton of parts and any order over $100 has free shipping and most items my orders show up within 2 days. Top notch service. Can’t say enough good things about this outfit.

Mike L

Occupation
Thanks. I actually have a mounting point for an umbrella on my Ford. Thanks for the reminder to move it over! Just when I think I’ve got it all moved over I find some little thing I fabbed up that I don’t want to leave behind

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I think if I carried every socket I've got I'd need another truck or maybe a lil socket trailer lol. I keep finding special ones in drawers in the garage and wondering what I have that one for, they just keep showing up.

Also the umbrella holder is a must, I just got a new umbrella for this summer here :D