• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How many hours on the C-18? I have heard they only make it about 5 or 6000 hours in a chipper
I'd say it probably depends to a large extent on how much fuel has gone through it in those hours.
They just bought a brand new complete engine for 60,000 dollars to have a spare on hand for when one goes
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be cheaper to overhaul the engines before they break.?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'd say it probably depends to a large extent on how much fuel has gone through it in those hours.
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be cheaper to overhaul the engines before they break.?
If they fail at 5-6,000 hours how about, if down time is a major factor, how about swapping in that new engine at say 4,500 hours and overhaul it for the next 4,500 exchange time? That way they could schedule the work at a convenient time.

JPV

If they fail at 5-6,000 hours how about, if down time is a major factor, how about swapping in that new engine at say 4,500 hours and overhaul it for the next 4,500 exchange time? That way they could schedule the work at a convenient time.

That is their plan, the downtime isn't worth the money saved in overhauling the motor. The question is when to swap.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
So the core on the c15 got turned in today. They called him and told him if he didn’t return and remove the fuel transfer pump off the front of the engine that they wouldn’t accept the core. 2 freaking bolts!

Mike L

Occupation
Well I’m asshole deep in the C18. Dropped a liner, wiped out the head gasket. Dry fit the liners and my protrusion was way off. Had to send the block to New Hampshire as cat had nobody in maine to cut the counter bores. Operator took it down this morning, dropped it off and toured around while it was being done. Guy cutting bores called him and said there were marks on the liners. Apparently when I checked protrusion the washers on the bolts left light marks on the liners and he said they were now not any good. I haven’t seen them yet but new
liners and a new spacer plate were ordered. So cat gurus what did I do wrong? Back in my truck days we did a pile of C15 overhauls. I installed the spacer plate gasket and spacer plate, dropped liners in without seals, put 6 short bolts in and torqued down to 300 ft lbs. then I measured protrusion. The only thing I can think of is over torquing the bolts or I needed 2 washers on each bolt to not leave a mark on the liner. My memory isn’t great anymore but this is how I remember setting them up. What say you?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If I understand correctly, you torqued the spacer plate to 300 and not something pressing on the liners? Most of the stuff I did was on counterbored blocks and I only did one block with a spacer plate. On the counterbored blocks I used a strong back and only torqued it to hold down the liner at 50 pounds. I have seen the dealer guys use washers but again torqued it to 50 if they used a torque wrench at all. With a cleaned liner and block deck I wouldn't think you would need any more than that. I'm also a little fuzzy about a washer being able to crush a liner ring.

Mike L

Occupation
I torqued the spacer plate with bolts and washers which press the edge of the liner and the spacer plate down. The idea is that the torque is spread across the spacer plate and liner somewhat equally. The 300 ft lb torque was to be equal to head bolt torque.

Truck Shop

If it's a Series 60-I use a depth mic and check each counter bore in four areas and record, then I measure each liner flange, mark it and install
in the counter bore that it would fit best.

Mike L

Occupation
Well I finished the c18. Runs good. Hopefully they get more than 3000 hrs out of it like the last time. Apparently this chipper has 6000 hrs on it and this is the second rebuild. Today I replaced the head rotate bearing on an 822c. Never done one before but it’s pretty straightforward.8BFF001C-3E41-4A19-81B5-D213371EF1BA.jpeg10A82358-9BAB-4E2A-BFE6-1B4DB5C61E8E.jpeg

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
That must have been a Friday gasket set, qc clocked out a half day lol.