• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
If you don't have time to fix it right the first time then how do you find the time to do it again. It makes you want to tell them that the next time the labor will be tenfold. :rolleyes:
I do some jobs that I’m not proud to put my name on. I give them my honest opinion of how to fix it correctly but in the end it’s up to them and they are paying the bill.

BigWrench55

I guess that I shouldn't judge too much.
I have the benefit of living in a state that doesn't any real seasons to speak of. Around here ice is the only thing that will stop progress and we rarely get that. So in retrospect I can see patching something just to make a good season out of it.

Bluox

View attachment 242354 Here’s how my week started. “Hey my head gasket is leaking coolant.” Well here’s why. Me- “ we should probably get the head checked” them- “there’s no time. I need my loader” well guess what. It’s still got a tiny leak where the head bolt was broken. “Oh well, we’ll fix it right next time”
This is why we carry Copper kote.
Spray both sides of the head gasket whoa baby almost as good as decking the head.
Just don't answer the phone if they remember to want to fix it right.
Bob

emmett518

Just remember the 3 b’s...
I didn’t build it
I didn’t buy it
I didn’t break it.

How did anything you do contribute to the fire? Unless you are one of those crazy people who self-immolate, I can’t see how it’s your issue.
When someone makes unreasonable demands in a negotiation, I respond “How am I supposed to do that?” I then shut up. For 15 minutes if necessary. That forces him to negotiate with himself without you saying a word. And as long as he keeps coming back with unreasonable demands, I repeat.

Mike L

Occupation
His argument was that my ass was in the seat so therefore it was my fault. If he was running it the fire never would have happened. Funny thing is I haven’t heard a word from him since I told him it was running. I’m fine with it. If working for free is the cost to never deal with him again I’m okay with that. Good riddance.

Mike L

Occupation
A3821202-4BD6-4E89-BDA7-1D579E144CE1.jpeg I’d like to nominate myself for dumb a** of the day. Put a turbo on this buncher yesterday morning. Had a razor blade scraper to remove the return line gasket. When I picked up my tools I didn’t see it. Operator called me about 10 minutes after I left and told me it was overheating. Weird. I returned to find that the razor blade vibrated just right and fell down on the belt, shredding the belt therefore the water pump wasn’t turning. DOH!!!

skyking1

Oh shizzle!! Surgeon forgot to count his sponges LOL!
A bunch of us run TDI VW's, and one of my friends had a belt failure on his '12 common rail. The serpentine belt shredded just right, and got under the timing belt. Super OUCH!
Now I look at serpentine belts differently :D

emmett518

View attachment 242723 I’d like to nominate myself for dumb a** of the day. Put a turbo on this buncher yesterday morning. Had a razor blade scraper to remove the return line gasket. When I picked up my tools I didn’t see it. Operator called me about 10 minutes after I left and told me it was overheating. Weird. I returned to find that the razor blade vibrated just right and fell down on the belt, shredding the belt therefore the water pump wasn’t turning. DOH!!!

Isn't it amazing how if you wanted that razor blade to do that, you never could have arranged that, but thanks to Murphy, it happened just fine.

emmett518

Do you typically have to disassemble fan blades, or radiator shrouds, or similar in order to replace belts? I'd like to replace mine, but my fan blade is surrounded by plastic shrouds that encase the radiator.

Tinkerer

Do you typically have to disassemble fan blades, or radiator shrouds, or similar in order to replace belts? I'd like to replace mine, but my fan blade is surrounded by plastic shrouds that encase the radiator.
It varys with different tractors. But one thing they all have in common is that the hydraulic pump coupler has to be split. That can sometimes be very time consuming. Because some need to have the hydraulic pump moved away from the pump drive.

scholzee

I work in aerospace industry FOD foreign object debris is taken extremely serious. Space craft or airplanes you cannot have loose objects flying around. I dropped a washer in a 16 layer perforated foil insulating blanket. I spent 4 hours but finally found it. All your tools and hardware must be accounted for before you finish you job.

skyking1

Sometimes google is the bomb on a belt change. Some guy figured a workaround that took him hours and hours to come up with, and gives it to you. 2 hour job -= 10 minutes.
My TDI beetle the alternator is a bumper cover and all sorts of fun, but the googlepath shows how to bend this just right and VIOLA!
Out pops the Baby!
Heater core on my 2nd gen dodge was like that. No need for a complete dashectomy, roped it back, cut the pipes and out it came. Get the napa heater core with swivel pipes and it went right back.