• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyards

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Would this be an example of a wheel lock? This is on a Cat scraper we have in the yard.

CAT rim.JPG

Bluox

That's a 5 piece wheel and I believe Cat calls that a driver.
The slotted ring at the top is the bead seating ring.
The driver keeps that ring from spinning on the wheel.
between that ring and the wheel is a o-ring to keep air in the tire.
Bob

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Thanks Bob. I'm trying to further my education on wheels and rims for heavy equipment. I suppose because of that application, quite a bit of torque would at times be applied to the rim/tire interface. More than many other types of machine anyway. I was working on an excavator today and happened to glance over at this scraper and noticed it had a different style rim and on that other thread (621C rims) we were discussing what I needed to be looking for, which reminds me I need to update that thread.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Tugger, we've only recently started with cranes, and have only one in active service. It's not a rental, as the owner doesn't want to pay the liability premiums for it as a rental. We use it ourselves in the yard, but that's about it. We have a couple of older Link-Belt drag-lines that we've tossed around putting in service, but frankly it makes me a little uneasy with such old machines. Plus it's not a specialty area we have been in. They may sit a while. But we have others that were bought at auction (that always worries me) that we have not done anything with....yet. Too many other, more pressing needs. This is a multifaceted business group, with part of it being a mulch/compost/recycle center with its own equipment, and a equipment rental and sales unit attached. The owner is a auction junkie, and love to buy and sell so we end up playing musical machines to a degree...some we get, fix and rent or sell, others end up in the field on land clearing jobs, some are put to work at the mulch plant. So it can get sort of mixed up and hairy at times. When I get a call, sort of like here....SN first, my first question is where the machine is right now, because it could be several places. Bur when we do tackle the cranes, I'll be checking with you for parts.

Thanks mowingman, for another source...in Texas at least so freight won't hurt so bad, or we can send a truck ourselves. We have capacity up to about 85,000 pounds, IIRC.