• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just shy of $8,100 for all the guts of the one and seals for both.

Wow. Dealer replaced an entire drive motor on one of our 279D's a couple of years ago and it would've been around $5K but was covered under warranty. Inflation sucks.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Lol yeah. Trouble is none are what I’d want if I dropped that much $$. Tom V’s is about what I’d do if I was going that deep. I do have a crane I need to get fixed and then sort out how/where to mount on there. It’s all unorthodox by current standards but it does what I need and I’m in it for a few grand.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Tom’s truck would probably run about $400k in today’s market

63 caveman

I was awarded a contract a long time ago and was told the reason why later. It was not because I was low bid but when the other bidders and I came to the job sight for the interview the other bidders all came in fancy outfits and I showed up in a plain old work truck. It's still the same now.

Looks to me that your rig is set up to get the job done, I like it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Figured I’d give an update. Got the steel plant’s yard dog all done, intake/after cooler cleaned out, new turbo, exhaust hooked up. Runs like a scalded dog now. Well…..maybe a 3 legged dog. Now that it builds proper clean air I’ve had to replace a bunch of valves that were plugged up with oily muck.

Serviced one of their Combilift forklifts and the big Combilift straddle carrier. Also replaced injector seals as it had one puffing out the top. While I was buttoning that one up today their Sky Track decided to puke oil out of one of the boom cylinders. They’ll come off Monday for reseal.

Another excavating friend/customer (the Kubota tractor owner) brought his haul truck and trailer in. There’s easily a weeks work on it. Then another called with a Komatsu dozer overheating and three other machines needing AC work.

The Takeuchi was destined for the salvage guy then I happened to think to call their shop foreman and ask if they had any parts around for it. They did have a good used final and some seals so it’ll end up back to together and run until it won’t again then it’ll be a parts machine for their other old Takeuchi.

The last one on the schedule is a Cat 320 for a property developer. Been sitting 10 years because the hydraulics quit. They’ve had various guys look at it, one condemned the pump so they shelled out the cash for that but it didn’t fix it. I was authorized 8 hours diagnosis time. Sounds like a fun one eh? Lol

Here’s the haul truck list, I made one lap around it and this was what I saw without even getting on a creeper……

IMG_0829.jpeg

Old Doug

Do you have the old welder up and running to mount on the truck? I was given another welder that had a fire . I havent went and got it yet but they say it burn the wires going down inside the generater case. I wonder if i can fix it ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Plenty of work for almost as many mechanics that want it anymore

Without a doubt DM. Wish I could find one here.

There is an independent shop here running 2-3 service trucks but he stays busy at the lime quarries and his rates are near Cat. Love to find a guy that's got a truck and could make mobile calls.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
One of the regulars on here was showing his road service setup for 90% of problems out of the back of a pickup truck. But a behemoth service truck makes some things nicer. Unless you can't get it close enough to the thing being serviced.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Anyone see this one featured at Conexpo this year. I was up close and personal with it at the Doug Veerkamp Engineering open house last Saturday. It's a mid 50s model Pererbuilt that is100 percent CA compliant. They had a good 2016 doner chassis that was usedfor the drive train. The remote for the crane tell you the lifting capacity of the 30' boom at any spot you hold the remote. The truck is in the lowered, work, position in this picture. The truck can be raised up to 10 more inches for site travel. After a near future, truck show, it will get the shorter " work" stacks installed and it will be out working in the field with the mechanic whom was one of the two that built it. 20230506_085057.jpg
Without a doubt DM. Wish I could find one here.

There is an independent shop here running 2-3 service trucks but he stays busy at the lime quarries and his rates are near Cat. Love to find a guy that's got a truck and could make mobile calls.