• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

muddog1975

It's been a few days since I've posted. Haven't done anything exciting lately. Until this evening lol. Started a 0-dark-30 this morning. Just about to call it a day around 3:00. Then I get a call saying scraper tractor blew a hose. Run out and find a hose about 20' long running from one nearly inaccessible place to another. Got it out, hauled butt and got to the parts place just before closing. Got back out to the field and started to fish that stiff PITA into place. I had seen some rain north of me on the radar. Drop, drop, drop and then the bottom fell out. 45 minutes later I'm soaked, hose is in, no leaks, oil topped off. New problem is I'm a mile of the slickest crap you've ever seen from the road. One steep little hill to go down and turn at the bottom. Creep down it, so far so good. Then my right front finds a rut and it's all over but the pulling! Ugh. Nice 15 hour day. Walk the rest of the mile to the road trying to call my daughter to pick me up. For some random reason a buddy saw the gate open and came splashing in and picked me up!

View attachment 157968View attachment 157969

Junkayrd
The day of a life as a field mechanic, I can completely relate to your daily stories, with the exception of the big D10 and 11s. Very cool. Really enjoy your stories and pictures.

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Howdy all. It’s been a long time since I posted. Late last year I left the drilling company to run a shop in tulsa for a crane and rigging outfit. I was recruited for it and they put the full court press on me. I was sick of the travel so I ended up making the change. Started November 28th. Gave notice today and will load my tools up tomorrow. I’m going to do my own thing again. I got through the rough patch of life and MF absolutely helped me do that.

My hope is to share my work on this thread with some regularity. Plan is about 75% shop 25% field but that may vary some. I’ve always had clients so getting work will not be an issue. Getting it all done will be!

I slapped together a small service truck for the time being while I dig my old international out of weeds and get it up to snuff. More to come!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Had the owner of the crane company followed through with his promises I wouldn’t have considered leaving. I was going to give notice Friday but I wasn’t done putting the trans back in a Cat 1255 so I did it late today after it was done and tested. Didn’t want to leave the other guys finishing my work.

I’m looking forward to it. I don’t want to work myself into the ground. I want some quality of life. We’ll see how I do! Having gotten the new house done it sure made me realize how much I’ve missed traveling for 26 years. That and my daughter going off to college. She’s at University of Arkansas, started as Electrical Engineering but has made a slight switch to Industrial.

63 caveman

The last truck shop I worked at also did not follow through with the promises they made. It was funny when I was putting my boxes in the back of my truck they did not think I was serious when I put in my notice. Best thing they ever did for me otherwise I would have just stayed on not really happy with the job or the future prospect. Can't help but think it will work out for the better for you. Please keep us posted I'm sure you will get into some good stuff.

crane operator

Good luck, if you get slow I’ve got a couple projects.

Also-

dirty4fun

Good for you Junkyard, I am betting you will have all the work you want, and more real soon. Looking forward to seeing what you are working on machines or house doesn't matter I will enjoy.

I worked on the road on the west coast, had 6 states to cover a part of 3 others. Be gone for 3 weeks at a time. Finally got a promotion and only had to work 5 days a week. That only lasted for a little over a year my new boss told me I had to not tell my main customer what he was planning on doing. I told him I wouldn't tell them unless they asked, he said I will fire you if you do. Told him no you can't do that, because I quit. Best thing I ever did bought an excavator and other equipment went off on my own. Lots of hours, but I am my own boss.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Headed out to work on an old Capacity yard truck tomorrow. I got them patched together Friday evening. Discharge line was plugged solid with carbon and crap. Tomorrow I’ll pull the compressor to match it up. Never seen one quite like it, I don’t want to guess at it.

After that I’ve got a Cat 315 to service and swap a condenser on then recharge. Sometime this week I also have a duramax coming in that’s using water but it’s not leaking externally. My guess is EGR cooler or a popped head gasket. Next week I’ve got a haul truck and trailer to get looked over, it’s a trade deal. He brings me rock for the yard.

CCE73D47-DF9D-416E-A57F-F4EB46B6A0DD.jpeg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sounds good Junkyard. Decision made :)

What kind of service truck have you slapped together?

Cheers
I’ve got an 86 Chevy 1-1/4 4x4 former military truck. Flatbed with a homemade welder skid on it. Random boxes I’ve got all my stuff crammed in. Far from ideal but it’ll get me going until I can get the big truck fixed up. That’s gonna be a project!

Thanks all for the well wishes. I’m at peace with my decision and I’m looking forward to it!