• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

still learn'n

Prayers for you and your wife Junkyard.

Had a coworker had his gallbladder taken out and he was off for a while because of it.

I have no idea if its the same but on my 2002 Ford F250 the speed sensor in rear diff was dirty and so the cruise wouldn't work.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Kinda slow with the update. She had her surgery yesterday morning and everything went just like it should. She should be home this afternoon and headed down the road to recovery. She's still got some pancreas pain along with post-op pain. Dr said third day is the worst so Saturday should be a blast! Haha.

Another positive note is after reviewing tests doc says there's no lesion on her pancreas. My understanding of things is pain from surgery should be gone in a week or so, pancreas will begin to function normally a bit slower than that so she will have pain longer but when she's healed and functioning properly she will feel like a new woman. I'm hoping it's the last of this for awhile. Past couple years have been hard for her.

Thanks again for all the support!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe we should have started a new thread for this subject? "Wives in the Shop for Repairs"!

Junkyard, glad your wife is doing good. This morning my wife per doc's orders removed the stent that was installed at the time of last procedure. She had been doing great up till then now a hour or so later she was in bad pain. Called doc's office and was told to take oxycodone pill he had been given and 800 mg of ibuprofen. That seems to have taken the edge off it for now so she can get some sleep.

guess I'll have go out and get the firewood myself today!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
In a way I feel like I have a newborn....well I don't have to change her diapers or anything like that. However I am waking her up in the middle of the night to remind her to take her pain meds. If she deviates from the schedule by much at all she's hurting. I think today she should round the corner and start feeling better.

Forgot pics but went out yesterday and did some side work on a JLG 800A that has quite a few hydraulic hoses leaking. One was easy, maybe 3' long and I could actually see both ends from the same spot! The other came from the control valve, through the plastic chain, up the boom, through the knuckle and up to the main boom lift cylinder. It's gotta be 35-40' long. I addressed some other piddly things on it. It's a personal use machine so it doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like the owner to have enough confidence to use it and not worry about getting stuck up in the basket lol.

It's got a cylinder leaking pretty good, it looks like a bit of a bear to get out. The whole entire boom would have to be supported to get it out. He may have to live with that leak for a bit, not sure what his tolerance is for parts and labor.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So I've started the rebuild of the SAE400 I got this summer. I decided to leave it on the trailer and build around that. I dismantled to really see what I've got to work with. I have another SAE400 that will now become a donor for the chassis as the one with the 2-71 in it is crap. Just fugly. Here's a few pics of the status of the trailer mounted and the donor machine.

Donor has a 4.236 Perkins missing pump and injector lines. Motor is free but I know nothing else about it. I've been quietly looking for a cheap pump but haven't had any luck. Knowing my affinity for the Detroit I'll use it to have good bones for the 2-71 machine. After a lot of measuring only the motor mounts have to be relocated. Everything else is exactly the same so it shouldn't take much to get it swapped. IMG_9659.JPGIMG_9677.JPGIMG_9678.JPG

colson04

Looks like a neat project.

If ya don't mind me asking, what's the scoop on the SAE 400 machine? I don't know a ton about welders, so in general, why this particular welder over others? I'm just trying to get educated, i dont know squat about them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
For heavy work they're hard to beat. Too big for pipeline trucks etc but when you have a lot of gouge work or run a high deposition rod like jet rod they're nice as you can really crank em up.

There are newer nicer setups but these older 400's are a lot of machine for the $.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Playing with cylinders today. Tilt off an IMT and an outrigger off the old grove picker. On the IMT tilt you have to support the boom with the picker to relive load on them and drive the pin out. Not terrible once you learn the tricks.

Later I'll be into an IMT rotary. New territory for us they generally don't give us any trouble. We shall see!

IMG_9680.JPG IMG_9681.JPG IMG_9683.JPG IMG_9684.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yesterday morning I was all setup to tear into that rotary. Phone rings and another operator on a job in Tulsa blew a -20 hose so I took care of that, picked up my seals for the little grove and got it buttoned up. So baring any other distractions I'll be into that rotary today. My hunch is the failure occurred in the planetary transmission between the drive motor and the pinion that drives bull gear in bottom of rotary. We shall see!

mitch504

As soon as I saw the lead-in pic, I knew what you were going to say. I started kicking myself before the video started, because I bet I've thrown away 500 old Band-It clamps over the years, and never thought of it!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As soon as I saw the lead-in pic, I knew what you were going to say. I started kicking myself before the video started, because I bet I've thrown away 500 old Band-It clamps over the years, and never thought of it!

LMAO! I think I've got that many laying around.

Tinkerer, I don't have many videos up and the channel is private. It's hard to decide what's video worthy lol. That and I don't need to **** the boss off makin them on company time! I'll go through my service truck for the next one and see if I can't find some other tips and tricks to share.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So the IMT rotary is turning into quite the cunundrum. I had it about half torn down today and have yet to find what I was hearing. I've pulled both motors, run them independent and together. Pulled the caps off the bottom pinion shaft supports and see nothing out of the ordinary. Pulled one trans apart, just the planetaries. The clutch on them is a booger and not a field job.

So I ended up calling the IMT guru in Tx and he's coming up Wednesday. I have to get this machine going next week. I have a trans and drive motor enroute in case it needs one. Filter cart as well to clean things up, we didn't have a major failure but I think we averted one. I am stumped. Watson rotaries are easy. These are complex. Three speeds in the drive motor and two in the trans itself so a double planetary below the clutch pack. It's quite the setup. Should make for an interesting week!

IMG_9700.JPG IMG_9712.JPG IMG_9716.JPG IMG_9717.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I scored a few large impact sockets on EBAY and darned if one wasn't 1-1/2" drive which isn't a big deal as I have a torque multiplier and hydraulic torque wrench that size. I do use a 3" socket from time to time on the IMT tilt cylinder pins and wanted one I could throw on my 1" ratchet. So I made a sleeve to get 1-1/2" down to 1". Came out pretty good I think.
IMG_9723.JPG IMG_9724.JPG IMG_9725.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Is the inside of that socket cracked or am i seeing things
It's the way the socket was made, there's a bit of a recess so between the surface rust and shadow from flash it looks like cracks. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Finally got into the IMT rotary today and my hunch of it being the lower end of the transmission was right. Man oh man did it eat some gears!
IMG_9733.JPG IMG_9735.JPG IMG_9737.JPG IMG_9738.JPG