• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

johndeere 310d 4x4 left rear tire locked up!!!!

ttweld05

Occupation
self employed welder/ heavy equipment repair man
A buddy just called and says the left rear tire is locked up on his jd 310 d any ideas or suggestions of what it could be before I make the 3 ur drive up to take a look at it?? Thank you in advance!!!!
Ttweld05

Delmer

Brake, planetary, or something external (rock wedged between rim and frame???).

Did he have any warning? noise? vibration? clunk? was it running or locked up sitting?

ttweld05

Occupation
Hello delmer,

My buddy says there is no rock or anything stuck in the frame that would have to be a big rock. he also said he was driving across the jobsite and he heard a big clunk noise and the hoe stopped moving. if he really throttles it it will move but the left rear tire binds up and clunks. if he lifts the machine up off the ground with the out riggers all 3 tires move freely in gear forward and reverse alo in neutral. except for the left rear. i believe it a 1997 model year but only has around 1400 hrs on it and i highly doubt its ever been serviced. any advice or tips is greatly appreciated. thank you

Delmer

Sounds bad to me.

I'd drain the fluid out of the rear end, and see what kind of bits you find (post some pics). If nothing obviously wrong drains out, fish around with a magnet to get the pieces. If you can't find anything at all, it might be be just the wheel bearing, but I can't imagine that would lock it up as bad as it sounds. Also possible that a brake disk came apart and is jamming up, or the differential is jammed on one side?

I'm sticking with my first guess of the planetary, but I'd take the cover off of the transmission/differential to check that first because it looks a lot easier than pulling one of the axles off to get at the planetary.

Here's a view of the internal parts, notice the recommended update, though yours may be the newer style. You can find the axle and transmission diagrams on there too.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Last edited:

ttweld05

Occupation
Thanks very much for the info ill keep you posted on what I found