• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere Hy-Gard SAE rating ?

Tinkerer

I am puzzled because I just purchased 15 gallons of a house brand oil that claims to meet John Deere J20C specs.
It states in their specs (the house brand) that it is a SAE 10W-30 weight oil.
John Deere also has a low viscosity Hy-Gard oil they refer to as a low viscosity oil.
Is it possibly a 5W-20 multi grade oil ?
I did some internet searching and only found one website that mentioned the JD Hy-Gard is a low viscosity is 5W-20.
Does anyone happen to know if that is true ?

Tenwheeler

I am puzzled because I just purchased 15 gallons of a house brand oil that claims to meet John Deere J20C specs.
It states in their specs (the house brand) that it is a SAE 10W-30 weight oil.
John Deere also has a low viscosity Hy-Gard oil they refer to as a low viscosity oil.
Is it possibly a 5W-20 multi grade oil ?
I did some internet searching and only found one website that mentioned the JD Hy-Gard is a low viscosity is 5W-20.
Does anyone happen to know if that is true ?
Walked to the barn and got a jug. Low viscosity JDM J20D / TY22000.
Read it all and searched all I could from that information. Found nothing. Supper S lists it as a 5W - 20. That is all I found.
Question for you please. I have a 68 or 9 680C. You gave me a hydraulic filter number once. Local Case has never been able to help me. My regular filter supplier never came up with it and I lost that number. The machine has not been running all this time but I am going to wake her up. I searched for that post also but never found it.
A number and place that carriers them would be appreciated. If I have the number local Case can probably help me they just cannot look it up. Thanks!

Tinkerer

A serial number is needed to determine which model you have.
The image in the previous post is for a 680CK which is a predecessor to the 680C's.
There are 3 or 4 variations of the 680C series and there are dramatic differences in them, including the hydraulic filters.

Tinkerer

Thanks mg2361 ! I was hoping you would see this thread.
That is exactly what I was looking for.
I so often see posts about Hy-Gard and don't ever remember seeing any info. in regards to the fact that there are 2 variations of it.

Delmer

J20 C is the current hy guard standard. J20 D is low viscosity hy guard. JD doesn't seem to like the J20 label much anymore?

MG will correct me if I'm wrong.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
MG will correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. HyGard is a powertrain, axle, and transmission fluid specifically designed to minimize gear wear and brake chatter. So Deere still uses this oil in the new machines for those applications. In the Hydraulic and/or Hydrostatic applications, all machines in the Deere line up (except for excavators) now use Hydrau (mineral 68) or Hydrau XR (synthetic 46). IMO Hydrau is a far superior oil for Hydraulic/Hydrostatic use.

Hydrau.png

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In the Hydraulic and/or Hydrostatic applications, all machines in the Deere line up (except for excavators) now use Hydrau (mineral 68) or Hydrau XR (synthetic 46).
Is the mineral 68 used in different applications and/or ambient temp ranges to the synthetic 46.? Seems on the face of it somewhat strange to recommend a different viscosity oil when switching between mineral & synthetic in the same application but I'm sure there is a reason.

Tenwheeler

Maybe !
Tenwheeler;
You can pm me your serial number if you don't want to post it on a public forum.
Well it is a secret Russian spy machine but that service expired.
680C 9108658
Thank you guys for your help. The local Case folks just never can come up with it. The original was tossed during a major hose replacement. Then the new one would not fit. Finally came up with something that fits in the hole. It is just not quite right.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is the mineral 68 used in different applications and/or ambient temp ranges to the synthetic 46.?

Sorry Nige, I don't have a good answer to this question. For the most part, the bulk of the Deere line up uses Hydrau. If for example a skid steer has a cold start package, then it would get the XR. As far as other products in the line up Deere only tells us tech's what oil to use. They do not go into the why's of using that oil in a particular model. I know some of the motor graders and knuckleboom loaders use XR as the factory fill but I couldn't tell you why they made that choice. The one thing I have learned about Deere after all these years with them is everything seems to be top secret. So us tech's are like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed a bunch of sh@%.

Tinkerer

Well it is a secret Russian spy machine but that service expired.
680C 9108658
Thank you guys for your help. The local Case folks just never can come up with it. The original was tossed during a major hose replacement. Then the new one would not fit. Finally came up with something that fits in the hole. It is just not quite right.
Here is a link to the complete parts book for your 680C.
https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...11008/cn/47D26496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
68888.jpg