• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere CT series owners/users please chime in

Mike Neibert

Since the repairs have been done I have had a lot of problems with the machine,it seems like everytime I want to use it something about the hydraulics doesn't work. I had John deere come pick it up on Monday for the latest issues and am hoping it will be a warranty issue on the hydraulic pump,if not I'm not sure I'm willing to stick anymore money into it I am up to around 30,000 in repairs now in the last year and was only able to put around a 100 hrs on it. I could have bought a whole different machine for what i have in repair costs.

Mike Neibert

Finally got my JD 322 back from the shop today,they checked electrical systems and system passed,checked hydraulic system and found hydraulic filter housing and parking brake solenoid on top of housing to be bad,they say when the main hydraulic pump imploded and sent metal through the system it caused grooves inside of housing causing solenoid to stick and not unlock the E-brake. I hope if anyone else has this kind of problem my post will help

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Since the repairs have been done I have had a lot of problems with the machine,it seems like everytime I want to use it something about the hydraulics doesn't work. I had John deere come pick it up on Monday for the latest issues and am hoping it will be a warranty issue on the hydraulic pump,if not I'm not sure I'm willing to stick anymore money into it I am up to around 30,000 in repairs now in the last year and was only able to put around a 100 hrs on it. I could have bought a whole different machine for what i have in repair costs.

While I know nothing about Deere, it reflects the risk that is taken when buying a higher houred track machines. Spending 30K on repairs on a CTL that is that old and not worth 30K on a good day, is an example of how easy it is to go down that rabbit hole. A CTL of any color is expensive to work on and when things keep going wrong your compelled to fix it. You cant resell it broke, and cant justify to keep fixing it either.

This is my thought on the matter and how I address it. I buy new or near new or at least considered new by the OEM (warranty coverage). My current 2017 CASE TR340 had 300 hours on it when I bought it, I traded in a TR320. I paid 50K for it and it had the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I am currently negotiating numbers to trade it for a TV450. It still has the remainder of the warranty left, about a year. So far it will have cost me 10K to own the machine for about 2.35 years in depreciation, maybe less by the time we get done. It has been under warranty and other than shearing the bolt that holds the upper tilt cylinder on, I have not had an issue with the 1000 hours I have put on it. The bolt was covered. But the coverage is there if I do really need it. I get out while the resale is high and some factory warranty coverage still gives the next guy piece of mind (having factory warranty coverage is not always the case, but works well when it is). I have never kept a track machine longer than 2000K hours.

The initial buy in can hurt depending on how much your will to spend on a CTL. However once your in, and you maximize the offers OEM's give through out the year, and trade it back while values are high, your only covering deprecation, and not huge repair bills. Some OEMs base warranty coverage is not as good, but extended coverage can always be purchased at time of buying the machine. WN has excellent base warranty coverage, maybe something to look into.

Mike Neibert

I stopped at a few different dealers over the weekend trying to get an idea of what the machine is worth on trade in,they say the track models hold there value and disappear as soon as they take them in. I know Im fighting a losing battle and I'm not going to get what I have in the machine but I have to stop the bleeding so to speak. The issue i have is that I can't justify buying a new machine for the amount of time I use it and there is no money being made with this machine to soften the blow of that big price tag of a new or fairly new machine. I have another wheeled skidsteer that I use for my business and the money that machine is making is going rite back into repair Bill's on this tracked machine so I'm losing all around on this one. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and spend the money to get this machine behind me and hope I pick a better dealer than I did on this one. Thanks for your thoughts!!