• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 6068 with a lot of blow by

Ray Myers

I have a 2012 John Deere 250glc excavator with a 6068ht in it. It has a ton of blow by. The machine itself has 5800 hours on it but the first engine was replaced at 750 hours due to it getting dusted by a bad air filter system. This engine is showing the same fate. My question is, I can’t find very much on the 6068ht. Mine is a 6068ht073. It’s a tier 4 interim engine. How much of a job is a rebuild on one of these? Who makes a good rebuild kit? Anything to look for when I tear it down? Any advice would be great as I can’t find anything on the 6068ht. Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Ray;)!

Machine serial number?

Did you remove the hose from the intake and inspect for dusting?

Are you sure the turbo is not the source of the blowby? That can be checked by rerouting the turbo drain line into a bucket then check blowby again.

Ray Myers

PE6068R053250 is the sn. I’m assuming dusting due to when I went to blow the air filter out it had fallen off in the box. In the service notes from Deere. It is also having a hard when it gets below 70. Would the turbo cause a hard start?

Ray Myers

Welcome to HEF Ray;)!

Machine serial number?

Did you remove the hose from the intake and inspect for dusting?

Are you sure the turbo is not the source of the blowby? That can be checked by rerouting the turbo drain line into a bucket then check blowby again.
machine sn is 1FF250GXECE608466. The other number I posted is the engine serial number

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Would the turbo cause a hard start?

A failed turbo seal causing blowby would not have a hard start issue, just blowby.

Did you remove the intake hose and inspect for dusting? Air intake system intact ? Intake hoses OK and not split? With approximately 5000 hrs on that engine if it is not dusted then I also would have to wonder what the maintenance was like on that machine. Everything performed at the proper intervals? What oils and filters were used?

Did the engine run smoothly or did it have a flutter sound? Misfire at all? That would indicate injector issues.

I also would not overhaul that engine without installing new injectors. With 5000 hrs on them they could be spraying improperly washing down the liners causing premature ring wear.

250G.png

Last edited:

Ray Myers

A failed turbo seal causing blowby would not have a hard start issue, just blowby.

Did you remove the intake hose and inspect for dusting? Air intake system intact ? Intake hoses OK and not split? With approximately 5000 hrs on that engine if it is not dusted then I also would have to wonder what the maintenance was like on that machine. Everything performed at the proper intervals? What oils and filters were used?

Did the engine run smoothly or did it have a flutter sound? Misfire at all? That would indicate injector issues.

I also would not overhaul that engine without installing new injectors. With 5000 hrs on them they could be spraying improperly washing down the liners causing premature ring wear.
Not sure how maintenance was on it. I bought it about a year ago and have put 300 hours on it. When I bought it it had Baldwin filters on it. I have bought all Deere filters for it, and I did a complete service when it got here, and change the oil every 250 hours, fuel filters and pilot filter every 100-150 hours, I am religious about maintenance and upkeep. If I did rebuild it I would buy new injectors and have someone go through the pump. I haven’t seen any cracks or splits in the piping, it all appears new.
View attachment 224080