• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 60 G versus the rest out there.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Any comments about likes or dislikes of this machine versus Kubota 057-5 or Takeuchi TB370. Am looking at them and would like to hear about any problems. Fairly well built from what I see. Thanks for any input.
Simon

Tags

I would look at dealer support first and foremost, they all have lots of electronics and some form of emissions. I know the Tak 370 is a "new" model and is too wide to fit on a trailer with fenders, so a deckover trailer would be needed, plus I'm not even sure if dealers have them yet. The best way to really see which one works best for you is to demo each machine, if it's possible to have them all at the same site you'll get a good idea by running each one doing the same tasks.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That 370 sure looks good on paper. The new interior on the 300 Taki's is nice. This the first machine to get that new interior. The downside in my opinion is the Kubota motor. I haven't run the 370, as stated its brand new. I think without a glance it will out dig the Deere and the Kubota. It is a bit heavier than both I believe so there is that.

suladas

I would being taking a hard look at the work you do and if that extra width is going to be an issue, going from most being 6'7" to 6'11", only 4" but when working in tight spaces it can be the difference between fitting and not fitting. I would say comparing it to a 60 isn't fair, it's more like a 7 ton machine now.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I would being taking a hard look at the work you do and if that extra width is going to be an issue, going from most being 6'7" to 6'11", only 4" but when working in tight spaces it can be the difference between fitting and not fitting. I would say comparing it to a 60 isn't fair, it's more like a 7 ton machine now.
They claim that the aux. hydraulic output is 120 Liters/min. where as Deere claims theirs to be only 92 Liters/ min. Takeuchi's auxillary is only at 200 Bar, ( 2900 PSI ) but Deeres is at probably 36-3800 psi. Deere is only 1 Big piston pump. Deere"s engine is 53 hp. where as Takeuchi"s is 56 horsepower. Quite a difference in Aux. Hydraulic output for 3 hp. difference. Of course Deeres output is at higher PSI. Could the Takeuchi gear pumps last very long at maximum pressure running a Mulcher versus Deeres Piston pumps from Hitachi or whoever makes them. I want to be able to run a FAE Mulcher that runs in the 17-31 GPM. Wonder how it would run on the takeuchi that is rated at less than the mulcher that can withstand 5075 psi., ( 350 ) Bar. Maybe piston pump might be better. Any thoughts. Simon

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
Another way to look at this is to pick out the Mulcher model and examine its weight. Then look at the reach of the machine and the weight to see if the machine will get tippy when extended all the way out especially if the machine is not on a flat surface. A newer good Deere 60G "long Reach" may be a best value. I like Takeuchi, I have three of them and they are all great machines. I don't see anything great on the new 370 unless you like all the newest software monitor stuff. I have a TB 240 and I don't use the monitor much. I get worried about getting the interior dusty and the monitor getting scratched and tarnished. The dealer and the local rep here in Seattle are not much help in the monitor help. I had questions on setting the flow for a Hydraulic breaker. I like my older TB153FR open cab. Your choices are all great machines though.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Another way to look at this is to pick out the Mulcher model and examine its weight. Then look at the reach of the machine and the weight to see if the machine will get tippy when extended all the way out especially if the machine is not on a flat surface. A newer good Deere 60G "long Reach" may be a best value. I like Takeuchi, I have three of them and they are all great machines. I don't see anything great on the new 370 unless you like all the newest software monitor stuff. I have a TB 240 and I don't use the monitor much. I get worried about getting the interior dusty and the monitor getting scratched and tarnished. The dealer and the local rep here in Seattle are not much help in the monitor help. I had questions on setting the flow for a Hydraulic breaker. I like my older TB153FR open cab. Your choices are all great machines though.

How is the open cab model you bought for dust in your face. For mulching I could forsee sawdust in the eyes unless I wore mono-goggles. Open canopy is about $20000 less than a cab with air. Harder to sell afterwards probably but depends on people. It is hard to get service info for example where to hookup the plumbing for extra functions. Do you think you would get way more life out of the piston pump instead of gears pumps that are working wide open at maximum pressure all the time. The mulcher weighs around 790 LBS. Would probably rock a little if boomed out far but depends how fast you move it. Not heard too much bad stuff about the Yanmar 4TNV98C Engine yet. Waitng for some more final prices.

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
I would think you would be best to get the enclosed cab if you are going to do a lot of mulching and working in dusty conditions and if the weather in your area gets real hot, and real cold and you plan on using the machine a lot in those months. An advantage of the open cab is if you are getting in an out of the machine a lot, and don't want to worry about the glass cracking and door getting damaged when open, plus I prefer to operate with no glass for best view. I would think about a Deere long reach, enclosed cab and 4-5 years old with just 1200-1800 hours on it or so. I would also look at the Takeuchi TB260 used, closed cab. Do you need zero turn and tight access? Do you have a truck with air brakes to tow?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
As far as cab and mulching. I wouldn't mulch without one. Aside from dust, bee hives, yellow jackets and so forth. I can imagine mulching without a cab. There would not be any downside to running a gear pump at its max rated capacity. Piston pump is more efficient. As far as the 370, the ability to adjust the flow rate is pretty important if you have multiple attachments requiring different flows. What impressed me most was the capacity of the machine 14.5K bucket breakout, 6K plus arm pull, tractive effort at 16K. Thats a lot of mini ex weighing in at about 15K. I didnt look at the lift specs, but it is wider and heavy, I would think it would do well with 800 pounds at full extension. As far as Yanmar engines, I think their outstanding. Don't often hear complaints about them. I have had three of them in Taki 153's and have yet to spend one dollar on repairs.

skyking1

I agree with dealer support as an important detail. I also think that if you are really going to buy a new 60K plus machine you would be well served to rent one of each or demo or whatever to get a more informed idea.
As far as the weight of the mulcher head, I have a 920 pound steel sheet that my 35G can handle with blade up in any direction at full reach. I think any of these 6~7 ton machines will have no problem with the weight of it, only the flow needs will matter.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
As far as cab and mulching. I wouldn't mulch without one. Aside from dust, bee hives, yellow jackets and so forth. I can imagine mulching without a cab. There would not be any downside to running a gear pump at its max rated capacity. Piston pump is more efficient. As far as the 370, the ability to adjust the flow rate is pretty important if you have multiple attachments requiring different flows. What impressed me most was the capacity of the machine 14.5K bucket breakout, 6K plus arm pull, tractive effort at 16K. Thats a lot of mini ex weighing in at about 15K. I didnt look at the lift specs, but it is wider and heavy, I would think it would do well with 800 pounds at full extension. As far as Yanmar engines, I think their outstanding. Don't often hear complaints about them. I have had three of them in Taki 153's and have yet to spend one dollar on repairs.

I have a difficult time understanding how 3 more horsepower can make this machine so much more powerful in hydraulic flow , bucket and arm performance, and overall lifting power. Speed is increased by flow but pressure is what gives ultimate power or so I was taught. Maybe somone is overstating their specs. Wish I could compare side by side.

suladas

How is the open cab model you bought for dust in your face. For mulching I could forsee sawdust in the eyes unless I wore mono-goggles. Open canopy is about $20000 less than a cab with air. Harder to sell afterwards probably but depends on people. It is hard to get service info for example where to hookup the plumbing for extra functions. Do you think you would get way more life out of the piston pump instead of gears pumps that are working wide open at maximum pressure all the time. The mulcher weighs around 790 LBS. Would probably rock a little if boomed out far but depends how fast you move it. Not heard too much bad stuff about the Yanmar 4TNV98C Engine yet. Waitng for some more final prices.

Considering you're in Alberta I wouldn't even consider a open cab, can you imagine running that machine on a day like today? My enclosed cab is cold enough with the tak's awful hvac. Even in the summer having the glass there for safety is huge. I guess if you never used it in the winter and didn't care you could stick a piece of glass in there for a windshield. I can't say i've seen many if any mini ex's that size with a open cab around here, it's generally the 2-3 ton max which are pretty much useless once the frost is in the ground. I know my 153 with a heaping bucket of wetish gravel will tip full extension over the side. Guessing bucket is about 250lbs and gravel maybe 500? I think the machine being wider and heavier though would be fine.

suladas

I have a difficult time understanding how 3 more horsepower can make this machine so much more powerful in hydraulic flow , bucket and arm performance, and overall lifting power. Speed is increased by flow but pressure is what gives ultimate power or so I was taught. Maybe somone is overstating their specs. Wish I could compare side by side.

Is the RPM they make the power at the same or close? I can't speak for the Deere's mini ex's but my CTL runs really high rpm's. Maybe Tak is making the HP at lower rpm? But it's not really based on HP, look at how much more powerful a mini ex is compared to a CTL and it's a way smaller engine, I think it's more based off the pumps and the pressure. A 100hp excavator will have a lot more hydraulic power then a 100hp ctl.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Deeres 60G horse power is at 2000 rpm. Takeuchi must be at higher rpm. Think the piston pumps on Deere woul outlast gear pumps 2-3 times but probably cost 2 times.

suladas

I can't speak for the new machine but i've been nothing but impressed with my Tak. It's not fancy, the cab is archaic but it's a simple machine with a lot of power, and I would be surprised if they put a pump in that wasn't made to last a very long time. One huge draw back is SMS equipment is the dealer in Alberta, they are an absolute joke. None of the guys at the Edmonton branch know anything about Tak. I don't expect them to know a ton, simple things like getting the right filters it's like pulling teeth. Doesn't matter what I order it's slow and wrong, rush shipping is still at least a week if it's coming from the states (that was before covid), it's got to the point I won't order anything even a filter without giving them the part number. They stock nothing for parts either, not even the basics like air filter, belts, etc. I blew a belt and figured they'd stock it like they should, nope, and had no idea the size. Makes a simple job more difficult when you gotta guess, then go buy a smaller belt because you got one too big. If you are on the fence between Deere and Tak the dealer support here for Brandt is a million times better, Brandt isn't the best to deal with, but at least they stock parts and know more. I would have a very hard time ever buying another Tak piece, and it's why I didn't buy their CTL.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I can't speak for the new machine but i've been nothing but impressed with my Tak. It's not fancy, the cab is archaic but it's a simple machine with a lot of power, and I would be surprised if they put a pump in that wasn't made to last a very long time. One huge draw back is SMS equipment is the dealer in Alberta, they are an absolute joke. None of the guys at the Edmonton branch know anything about Tak. I don't expect them to know a ton, simple things like getting the right filters it's like pulling teeth. Doesn't matter what I order it's slow and wrong, rush shipping is still at least a week if it's coming from the states (that was before covid), it's got to the point I won't order anything even a filter without giving them the part number. They stock nothing for parts either, not even the basics like air filter, belts, etc. I blew a belt and figured they'd stock it like they should, nope, and had no idea the size. Makes a simple job more difficult when you gotta guess, then go buy a smaller belt because you got one too big. If you are on the fence between Deere and Tak the dealer support here for Brandt is a million times better, Brandt isn't the best to deal with, but at least they stock parts and know more. I would have a very hard time ever buying another Tak piece, and it's why I didn't buy their CTL.

Thank you so much for your honesty. I built a lot of Komatsu motors and transmissions and torque convertors in the past and it was a nightmare to get the correct parts. They use to talk the talk, but could not walk the walk. There are probably 10 Deere mechanics totally experienced with their excavator systems for every Takeuchi one. Once it is sold you own it. They all charge huge sums of money for service if you need help, but parts availability will definitely be better with Deere plus the 60G has been out for a while so the problems if any must be sorted out by now , not like a new model such as the TB370. Once again thanks. Where are you hiding in Albeta? Simon

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
They are all going to have pros and cons. Although Taki makes good stuff, I'm never a fan buying something that's just come out. That's just me though. My local rental yard runs all taki machines and they've been good. No issues with the 60's. If you need lots of lifting power that's prob. the machine to get. Both the Kubota and JD have been out for a while and haven't heard anything bad about either. I'm a fan of the Yanmar power so would probably go with the JD. Bigger dealer networks for parts availability. I have the orange version of the last year of the JD 60D and it's been a good machine. One thing to consider is the AUX flow if you're going to run attachments.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I don't know that I would stress about pump life regardless of what type it is. They don't often fail. I would also prefer the Yanmar in the Deere. You might get a hold of FAE and ask them which excavator they feel would be the best host for their attachment. They likely wont know first hand how the Taki runs their attachment, but they can look at the configuration of the Taki system and offer thoughts on it. Their preference would mean quite a bit to me, since it appears that is the primary use of the excavator.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Re. the 60G. Not sure how often you use the thumb, but in my opinion, the factory deer thumb on that size machine isn't very good. If I were to ever order a new machine, I would definitely go aftermarket/heavier duty.