• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 544A opinions

turfguy87

I just purchased a '72 JD 544A loader that hasn't been run in years. Did these have glow plugs or an alternate heating system?

What do you guys think of these?
I'm looking for an air filter housing, as mine is badly rusted.
It looks like there was an optional backhoe attachment available. Anyone know about these? I imagine they were fairly rare and pricey.

Abscraperguy

I've never heard of one with glow plugs. I've seen quite a few that had circulating block heaters installed.

You won't have trouble with a 544A if it's seen regular maintenance and isn't beat out even if it is older. The nice things about these loaders is that on most a lot of the parts all you gotta do is take them to your local Deere Ag dealer or tractor wrecker and match them. Deere industrial and ag equipment shared a lot of parts back then.

Peter42g

Thank you glenlunberg, I installed JD244J mirrors in July, rear window is hard to open, seem to be the hinge, motor run great. Sometime, after working with transmission lever on "low", it's take a few seconds to the transmission engage when I put the lever on "high", mechanic say it's probably a spool adjustment. :)JD544A-73-SFML-3.jpg

norite

It looks like there was an optional backhoe attachment available. Anyone know about these? I imagine they were fairly rare and pricey.

I've only ever seen one 544 with a backhoe, not sure if it was factory or custom fitted. You could get one of the detachable backhoe attachments for a 450 track loader and adapt it. If you do try to get one with the cylinders for swing, I was told the ones with the swing motor are problematic and expensive to repair.

I wouldn't bother mounting a backhoe on a 544 myself, cheaper, easier and better to just get a tractor/loader/backhoe.

jjinc814

544A Blown Engine

Hi Guys, Im new here and I have a JD 544A that we use to move wrecked cars around our tow yard. The motor just started wrapping. Does anybody know of any used engines that are reasonably priced? I'm located in south central PA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Delmer

Have you considered rebuilding the one you have? Unlike cars and trucks where you can pick up an old engine with low miles for nothing, good used diesel engines are harder to find and the rebuild is more competitive cost wise.