• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 5325 valve adjustment

dirtdobber1

Hello all,

I'm going to help a friend out with his 5325 tractor. It has a knocking / missing noise at idle, and we are going to start by checking the valve clearance. Can anyone out there tell me the clearance specifications and any other particulars regarding setting the valve clearance? I have overhauled a few diesel engines, but that has been a very long time ago. I don't know where technology has gone.

Thanks in advance.

dirtdobber1

Cancel that request. This tractor has a five cyl engine with a non-adjustable valve train - hydraulic lifters. They've change a lot since the 80's.

Delmer

I'd try to isolate the injectors to see if disabling one of them improves the knocking noise. Couldn't find nothin on this engine other than it may have "unit" pumps, not sure if that's individual like a deutz or what, but you may be able to crack an injection line, or hold down a lifter to disable each in turn.

Could also see if the noise improves with warming up, running it hard for a while, or running some bioblend (just don't let it sit in there for long!)