• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 450C

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Evenin' Seabass,

We used to own one in the early 90's it was actually a very good l'il dozer, we blew the right track off once -probably should've kept grease in the tensioner - but other than that, zero problems. We used it mainly for building pad construction and earth-shaping. With its compact size and 6-way blade we could do just about any kind of small scale grading and shaping. We traded one of our old digger-derricks for it and always felt we got the better end of the deal. My Mother even used to get a kick out of playing on it, don't let your Mother get near structural columns though... :nono

Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
For their time the 450c was one of the top small dozer out there, if not the machine to have. Many a logger ran them. Many a home builder had them for grading lots, farmer had them for raod maintence. They are powerfull, light, stable, and easy to transport. Only thing I cant stand is pulling a starter, and the park brake toggle pedal is a pita, but all in all a great little tractor.

Randy88

Nice all around dozer, small enough to tote behind a tractor on a trailer from farm to farm, big enough to move some dirt, the power shift is nice, some call them a shuttle shift or power reverser, depending on who it is, the only downside is to work on them, the components are set in the frame and to get at the transmission or rearend you need to totally dismantle the machine. They are around eighty horsepower, some more, some less, depending on the year, I have a loader model and have had it for years and love the little machine. The c model has wet clutches in it which is a major improvement over the dry clutches of the earlier models, for the steering. The price maybe a little high, depending on the condition of the machine, but for the money they are a nice dozer to own and operate, almost anyone can be doing something constructive with it in a few hours time in the seat, probably the easiest machine out there at that time to operate.

As was stated before, in the day, they were the machine to own, the laoder versions are still used today by a lot of the construction sites, as a forklft in muddy conditions, they have a tremendous lift to weight ratio and can move with excellent stability once laoded, far better than a forklft or skidsteer or even a telehandler in wet condtions, or so I'm told, that and the owners don't want to give them up, one told me when he needs it its always there and when I don't its paid for and dependable I don't want to get rid of it for anything. I've never talked to anyone who ran one that didn't like them, and one person told me its hard to put your finger on why you like the 450 so much but you just do, I couldn't agree more with that statement though.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have a 450C with loader. Like Randy88 says they are a real litt bi*** to work on. Even oil filter is a pain in the rear. The transmission is a four speed conventional gear type transmission with a high and low shuttle shift which makes it good for foreword and reverse. The clutch is a stinker to adjust when it needs to be done. Clutch is conventional pressure plate with a hydraulic secondary for the shuttle.

Biggest complaint I have is constant problems with hydraulic leaks on the feed from the reservoir which is back by the operator seat to the pump on the front of the engine. Like all track loaders with front engine, get them in soft ground and put to much material in the bucket and they will sink. I can't say I am in love with the one I have because they are so damned unfriendly to work on.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Saw one of these little guys for sale, JD450C, fellas asking $12,500 http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/john_deere_450_dozer_for_sale/1309267/

What sort of jobs would a guy use this size of machine? Were they any good? Reliable? I'm not interested in it myself (well, a small part of me always is interested in old iron for sale), just throwing it out there.

You mean like excavating basements,cutting swales,pushing a JD 762 scraper around a huge job site for a week,grading,stumping,cutting subgrade for ball fields,lawns,driveways,etc.,being the lead tractor to hold down the front tires of ''BIG BERTHA,the largest retired Army tractor you ever set eyes on while pulling the ''train''[my 450D dozer chained to Bertha,Bertha 5th wheeled to a new 21 ton lowboy with an oversized communication concrete vault both welded and chained down],and a JD 850 dozer pushing on the back of the trailer going up a mountain]pushing boulders heavier than the dozer,cutting slopes on a chemical waste lagoon--all that sort of stuff? Nothing but 350's and 450's over the last 38 years--thousands of hours with NO major mechanical failures----best small dozers on the planetIMO. My 450D is on the job everyday,more reliable than a USA made Timex watch!!!!! If it's in good shape,$12,500 is a fair price.