• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John deere 450 steering clutches.

orangepeanut

I recently purchased a 1970 john deere 450 loader. The left side wouldnt steer at all, the right side would until it got hot. Its in the shop now getting new clutches put in it but there is oil in the housings. Does anyone know where this oil may be coming from?20190605_100726.jpg

Labparamour

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/search

I have a 450B with dry steering clutches.
The link above is for John Deere parts catalog.
You can do a search of the different areas of the machine.
They have good exploded views of components.
The rear main frame sends power out to the clutches/final drives and has oil there. Plus, there is oil in the finals. 97154E95-2B47-4C22-908B-D2FA395875E0.jpegPart #3 says “seal.”
There are also plugs/drains in the bottom of the steering housings. Not sure how much oil you found in the clutch housing but, if plugs are out, at least it’ll drain...

orangepeanut

Thanks for the help. I got it back together and its steering good now. But seems to have a problem while in 3rd and 4th gear. 1st and 2nd work fine in both hi and low. 3rd seems to work when it wants to. When i put it in 4th it just sits there. Seems like it wants to move but it wont. Im hoping it just the clutch adjustment.

Labparamour

Glad you got it going!
As far as tranny- have you followed procedure for adjusting?
There is a port for a pressure gauge and a process for adjusting pressure.
Also makes for smoother shifts using h-l-r.
It may be there isn’t enough pressure and that 1st and 2nd are geared low enough that you don’t notice slip.

orangepeanut

Well i got all the gears to work. Its turning good as well. I took it too clear the property line off and was pushing some pretty big trees for about an hour. It ran good but seemed like the reverse started pulsing a little. On the way back to the house i had it in 4 high and it just stopped, then went again. As long as it was in 4 low it stayed going. Does that sound like a simple adjustment or the trans shot?