• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 440ICD engine swap

alevins

Good day all,

I picked up an old dozer with a blown 253, searching for a few weeks now with no luck finding anything reasonably priced to try and repair this, I am now thinking of an engine swap. I would assume this has been done before but cannot find anything really helpful.

any suggestions to what would fit rather easily?

I havent found a 2-71 any easier than the 2-53, not that I even know if that would fit

appreciate any help/advice

thank you

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Wow!:eek: I haven't worked on 440 with a Detroit since the 80's.

If nobody here can help, you may want to try JDCrawlers Messageboard. Click here.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Wow!:eek: I haven't worked on 440 with a Detroit since the 80's.

If nobody here can help, you may want to try JDCrawlers Messageboard here. You might also want to check Yesterday's Tractor here.

Entropy1

The 271 is significantly larger than the 253. The 271 bellhousing and starter will cause fit up issues. more specifically, note that your 253 starter is mounted on the rear of the engine - inline and above the clutch. If the starter were on the side of the block, the engine wouldn't fit (dozer's frame rails are too narrow). The 253 is a highly desirable engine that's worth rebuilding.

alevins

I was told that it started to sound like it was coming apart, blower issues for sure, seized now as exhaust was left open
253 seems to be rare for sure, I havent found anything online for sale yet

Truck Shop

I don't know of any detroits being highly desirable for rebuilding-There was one 253 on CL spokane.
And a friend of mine has some small cylinder count stinkers, I will check to see if there is a 253.

Entropy1

Other potential sources:

The 253 was also sold by GM as a stand-alone PTO power unit (for powering small water pumps, conveyors, and other light-duty PTO and/or belt-driven loads). These engines will have the smaller SAE bellhousing. You'll need to swap the factory 440 bellhousing/clutch/flywheel to install one of these 253s.

Small diesel-electric AC welders came factory installed with the 253 also (with the small SAE bellhousing).