• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 4255 widening the rear wheels.

banditman

Is there a way to widen the rear wheels on john deere 4255 without the special tool??? Looks like all it does is drag the wheel on the axle.

terex herder

I guess I'm not sure about a special tool? The wrench that used to come with the tractors was just a welded version of a box end wrench. All I've seen just have a pinion in the hub that engage the rack on the axle. The trick is getting the wedge loose to allow the hub to move. There are 3 or 5 bolts that tighten the wedge and two that push the wedge. Don't get to carried away with the pusher screws, they will break out the back of the wedge if you try to horse the wedge out. Make sure all securing bolts are well backed off and the removal bolts are tightened to about 200ft.lb. With that wheel off the ground, hit the end of the axle with a big sledge, 20# best. A couple of solid blows and the wheel usually comes loose.

Tyler d4c

No please no I hate seeing smashed axles I use a 70 pound jack hammer onto the 3 bolts to rattle them loose haven't busted a wedge yet