• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 350B steering issue

Tags

A customer of mine just purchased a very clean JD350B six way dozer that looks like it hasn't had much use or much abuse, like is usually seen on the small dozers. It runs very well, the issue is the left side will not steer while going forward unless you absolutely pull with all you've got back on the left side lever, works fine in reverse, and the right side works fine in either direction. Pushes through a pile fine with no slippage at all. I belive this is a dry clutch machine with hydraulic assist. Any ideas on where or what to start checking? The machine had been sitting for a whil too.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If the right side is working fine then I would think the power steering system is working. Often I find the reservoir out of oil (either leaks into the engine or leaks from the cylinders) and there would be no power steering on either side.

Start with a steering clutch/brake adjustment. Most cases that is all they need. Often times when those units sit you might find the linkage is all seized up. If that is the case then the only fix will be final drive/steering clutch removal to free everything up and lubricate.

Tags

Thanks for the reply MG, not many people left around here that have knowledge of these older Deere’s and the way they operate. Will pass this info along.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
Maybe a bit late but that should be a dry steering clutch. If adjustment does not work then the disks are frozen. Nothing will break them apart like removing the final drive after splitting the track. Taking the steels and fibers apart and sometimes you can get away with light sanding the steels or you have to replace the steels and fibers. Also, when done, park the machine up on wood planks so it does not touch the ground. I’ve done approx 6 of those 350B machines and an old timer told me something to do with sitting and the earths magnetic waves or something weird like that. BUT every machine on wood after repair never stuck again. Lol!