• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 323e or Takeuchi TL8 or TL10

CCW13

The only reason I didn't go with tak is my nearest dealer is around 90 miles away. I would've definitely bought it if only an hour away. So I felt the Kubota was next best since its also a CTL purpose built machine, not skid steer frame with tracks bolted on. I'm sure you'd be very pleased and impressed with that tak.

Well I've further confused myself by pricing a SVL95-2 with high flow. If I can talk myself into spending the extra I may go that way. It's a nice machine and local.

JGibson

If I were you I would go with the Kubota. I love the Deere skid steers, but the Kubota is a better machine. Taks are great for dirt work, but I would never buy one for a farm. Vertical Lift IMO is a must have on a farm.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Deere vs TAK.....the 323 is not in the same league as a TL10......TAK TL10 would be my pick hands down. The tak's are very utilitarian in cab design, the ride is brutal when compared to some however the overall tractor is a powerhouse and a true work horse. If pushing dirt around is your primary goal, these machine can do that very well.

CCW13

I'm considering the SVL95-2. I'm just wondering about hauling it. I think it would be fine behind a 3/4 ton on a 14k trailer. It would only be towed a few times a year. Maybe less than 5 or 6. According to the man at the DOT I would be under the legal limit without needing a cdl.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
The SVL95-2 is a great machine, I am certain your would not be in the least bit disappoint in a brand New shiny Kubota 95-2. Most guys I know would kill for the opportunity to own that machine. I don't see where you would have an issue with hauling the machine in your State. It sounds like you did the research with your states DOT and all is fine in that regard.
Not sure what else is left but to write the check or sign the papers. Get the full cab unit, get the high flow, Get a good HD 4 in 1 tooth bucket and whatever else in terms of attachments you may need.

Then buy yourself A case of "Kubota" recommended grease, hydro oil, and coolant. Make sure it is what the machines manual recommends, very important if you have a malfunction during the war entry period. Then get yourself a nice electric grease gun and a 200 gallon transfer tank for your pickup. Go have some fun and move some dirt around...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I tow with a 1 ton dually and a 14k deckover GN. I have to put quite a bit of weight on the truck to be legal on the trailer's axles with the SVL90. The 95 is heavier. I know you won't be towing every day, but you'll still have to watch the weight on the axles on your setup since you can't run as much tongue /hitch weight.

CCW13

I tow with a 1 ton dually and a 14k deckover GN. I have to put quite a bit of weight on the truck to be legal on the trailer's axles with the SVL90. The 95 is heavier. I know you won't be towing every day, but you'll still have to watch the weight on the axles on your setup since you can't run as much tongue /hitch weight.

Kubota lists the operating weight with a 165lb operator at 11574.

PlumberRob

Kubota lists the operating weight with a 165lb operator at 11574.

You will need a heavier trailer. A 14k BP deckover Trailer will probably weigh close to 5k, lets say even on the light side at 3500lbs, 3500+11,000+ is over the trailer gvwr(ticket/fine). Some trailers have a 16,100 lbs rating which would be better but if your truck gvwr is 10,000, your combination will be over 26k and need a CDL. Its a slippery slope, so a smaller machine and lighter trailer might be better for you.

On your original post, I'm a Tak guy, but my second choice would be Kubota(I have a KX-040 mini-ex), Both great machines. Good Luck.

CCW13

You will need a heavier trailer. A 14k BP deckover Trailer will probably weigh close to 5k, lets say even on the light side at 3500lbs, 3500+11,000+ is over the trailer gvwr(ticket/fine). Some trailers have a 16,100 lbs rating which would be better but if your truck gvwr is 10,000, your combination will be over 26k and need a CDL. Its a slippery slope, so a smaller machine and lighter trailer might be better for you.

On your original post, I'm a Tak guy, but my second choice would be Kubota(I have a KX-040 mini-ex), Both great machines. Good Luck.

See this is where it gets aggravating. We called DOT and the guy on the phone said that you take the truck 10k and the trailer 14k and you get 24k gvwr and you are under the CDL regulation. I'm starting to think that some of their people aren't even clear on the laws. The trailer isn't a deckover though and I don't believe it weighs much more than 3k. I'll have to check specs but it is a Gatormade 14k 18+2. I'm thinking I just need to get farm plates and then I'm good to tow between the two farms which are 40 miles apart. At least in my interpretation of the law lol. Ugh this is frustrating. I'll only be moving this thing maybe 2-3 times a year.

Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
The combo will be considered 24k which is under CDL. What you need to know is what the truck and trailer actually weigh. Let's say the truck weighs 8k and the trailer 5k, add the machine in at 11k and you're at your 24k limit. Now, can you position the machine so that the trailer's axles aren't overloaded without putting too much weight on the truck? That's where it gets tricky.

PlumberRob

What he said^,, you have to watch your trailer axle weights and also (which dot will check) your trucks rear axle weight so your not over on that with too much tongue weight. Definitely email Gatormade and get the weight of that trailer, they are good guys there, I'm running one of their trailers and love it. Also, account for your chains, binders, etc, that stuff adds up in payload on your trailer real quick.

CCW13

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. If I get the SVL75 I should have to worry much unless hauling a few attachments with it. If I get the SVL95 (which I want) I'm going to have to be awfully careful. It gets confusing when figuring all this stuff. Anyone clear on the farm tag laws?

CCW13

The combo will be considered 24k which is under CDL. What you need to know is what the truck and trailer actually weigh. Let's say the truck weighs 8k and the trailer 5k, add the machine in at 11k and you're at your 24k limit. Now, can you position the machine so that the trailer's axles aren't overloaded without putting too much weight on the truck? That's where it gets tricky.

One quick question....So if the limit is 26k (for not needing a CDL) but your truck is rated at 10k and the trailer at 14k, you can still end up with a ticket if you are at 26k because it exceeds the truck and trailer limit. Am I thinking correctly?

JNB

Occupation
One quick question....So if the limit is 26k (for not needing a CDL) but your truck is rated at 10k and the trailer at 14k, you can still end up with a ticket if you are at 26k because it exceeds the truck and trailer limit. Am I thinking correctly?

Yes,you got it. The truck and trailer combo would be exceeded. Like PR mentioned, you could use a heavier rated trailer. If that were 16,100 lbs, it could be derated at registration to 16k and be under the CDL limit of 26,001 lbs.

As far as using the SVL75, if the machine had two inches more foot room, I might've bought one. Easier to haul, smaller to fit tight places and plenty of power. Weight and size wise, the TL10 is in the middle of the two Kubota machines and would have been ideal, but for me it came down to the dealer so I went bigger.

PlumberRob

In all honesty, I would try to stay under CDL territory, even if you plan on getting a Class A. If you don't need a CDL, don't get one, you will then have to get a US DOT number, medical card updated every 2 years, audits from the state to check your CDL testing(if it is a company) etc etc,, a real Pain in the a**. Try and buy the biggest machine and trailer that keeps you under 26k and your life will be much simpler. As for the Farm tags, here in PA if you have farm tags you will not be required to have a CDL when hauling over 26k but I think(not positive) you can only travel with that rig so many times a year(which there is no way for them to know). So this might be something to look into, have your truck and trailer registered in your Farms name and have a temporary magnetic Farm name logo for your doors of the truck when hauling. Really do some research on these items, just to make your life as simple as possible.

CCW13

In all honesty, I would try to stay under CDL territory, even if you plan on getting a Class A. If you don't need a CDL, don't get one, you will then have to get a US DOT number, medical card updated every 2 years, audits from the state to check your CDL testing(if it is a company) etc etc,, a real Pain in the a**. Try and buy the biggest machine and trailer that keeps you under 26k and your life will be much simpler. As for the Farm tags, here in PA if you have farm tags you will not be required to have a CDL when hauling over 26k but I think(not positive) you can only travel with that rig so many times a year(which there is no way for them to know). So this might be something to look into, have your truck and trailer registered in your Farms name and have a temporary magnetic Farm name logo for your doors of the truck when hauling. Really do some research on these items, just to make your life as simple as possible.

CDL is out of the question. I'm thinking about going the farm tag way.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
I ran into these issues years back. Got pulled over by DOT 3 times in 2 weeks, each one of them gave me a different story. So now I make them show me and give me proof where the general public is aware and can easily find the laws they try to enforce on me. Last few times they couldn't get me anything. It's so burried in the laws it's almost impossible to understand it and get a straight answer. They made me get a cdl because the weight, did not need Dot numbers because I wasn't hauling for hire and I own what I haul. I still have it but now I'm farm tagged, everything I do is Ag related. When they ask questions be very vague, tell them you bought a property you're just working on etc. They'll pick on you hard if you get pulled over, the biggest thing is to be nice but don't give them a lot of info. Farm tags here require no cdl up to 48k# you can go the farm tag route, just have to be careful the info you give them.

JNB

Occupation
HRP, it's a sticky wicket isn't it? I've thought about going back to farm tags myself. I had them when I hauled a tractor everyday. I worry about it with the CTL, especially with advertising on the truck.

On another note...all this rain is driving me absolutely crazy! :mad:

CCW13

Ok I called my local courthouse about how to get farm tags on a truck and trailer. They don't offer farm tags for trailers but they do for trucks. I asked what I needed to get farm tags and she said nothing just bring your old tag in. I asked what proof was needed that I own a farm and she said none....they don't check. So I guess anyone can get a farm tag.

One more question, she said they asked you if you want it rated at 26k or 38k. You have to sign a paper. Which would I choose? I'm sure you can tell I'm new to this.

Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
Not sure what they mean by the two weights. It doesn't work like that here. It might have to do with the cost of the tag? You better call back and check that out.