• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310SG wont move

whatsittoyou

Attached is a transmission schematic and a transmission wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the transmission plugs X24 (top of the trans, Forward, Reverse and Low range) and X25 (bottom of the trans, speed solenoids) and where the blue and black wires are supposed to go. The X21 and X22 connectors in the diagram are where the transmission wires connect to the cab harness. Hope this helps.

Thank you!
I believe this will have us up and running tomorrow morning. I will update.

whatsittoyou

Attached is a transmission schematic and a transmission wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the transmission plugs X24 (top of the trans, Forward, Reverse and Low range) and X25 (bottom of the trans, speed solenoids) and where the blue and black wires are supposed to go. The X21 and X22 connectors in the diagram are where the transmission wires connect to the cab harness. Hope this helps.

So the schematics worked but we are still having issues. Everything is wired right and the unit still will not move when on the ground. Read all the above mentioned in this thread and checked the timer relay and im showing 11 amps coming in. Had the relay itself checked with a ohm meter and its showing open. Should that be open or closed? Any other advice what to check or where the problem may be coming from?:confused:

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did you check your F12 FNR fuse? Also look at post 11 and tell me what you have at pin "E".

Anthony Poole

Ok mg2361, I change the relay, which I know was inop from testing, and finding in the bottom of fender submerged in rain water. I replaced and same issue. But now I have power out of relay, so what should I test now. Thanks in advance

Joeyinstx

Knowing now it is a power shift and that it does not move I would check or replace the timer relay that is mounted behind your instrument panel on the right side (most likely on the inside of the fender). It will have a T21 blue wire, P24 red, J27 and 28 tan wires and a G10 black wire going to it. The T21 blue wire is the signal from the FNR and the J28 tan would supply the power to the speed pack solenoids. If those solenoids do not get power the transmission will not work.
You could back probe (leave connector connected) pin "E" (tan wire J28) on the FNR connector and see if you get 12 volts when in Forward or Reverse. No voltage, bad relay, provided that there is 12 V at the red wire at the relay and the relay has a good ground.

Had a similar transmission problem with a 310J power shift. Turned out to be a faulty K2 - Ignition relay, was not energizing part of the fuse buss, specifically the F36 transmission control fuse. Replaced the K2 relay and everything worked perfectly.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Sput !
Those schematics are .pdf files.
You need to download them and then open them with a .pdf viewer.
I already did and saved them as photo files.
Click on the images to enlarge them.
If you wanna print them -- right click on them and save the images to where you can access them for your printer if you have one.
If you are viewing them with a computer, you can take a smartphone picture of the screen display.
If you are viewing this thread with a smartphone, take a screenshot of the enlarged images.
pins.png jd sch.png

Last edited:

55 Chevy

mg2361, have similar problem with 310SG. T0310SG937698 power shift trans. No problem with reverse but hesitates going into forward or no forward. Connector is connected, probed tan wire J28 on the FNR connector and I get 12 volts every time in reverse and it goes into reverse, when I shift to forward sometimes 12 volts. I can leave shift in forward and after waiting (no set time) my meter will show 12 volts and it will be in gear. I can hear the timer relay clicking several times when in forward and my meter is trying to show voltage. Can I unplug the relay and jump a couple of leads to see if it will stay in forward? Thanks Rick

TVA

mg2361, have similar problem with 310SG. T0310SG937698 power shift trans. No problem with reverse but hesitates going into forward or no forward. Connector is connected, probed tan wire J28 on the FNR connector and I get 12 volts every time in reverse and it goes into reverse, when I shift to forward sometimes 12 volts. I can leave shift in forward and after waiting (no set time) my meter will show 12 volts and it will be in gear. I can hear the timer relay clicking several times when in forward and my meter is trying to show voltage. Can I unplug the relay and jump a couple of leads to see if it will stay in forward? Thanks Rick
That could be timer relay or a diode. But on the other hand if you can hear relay click several times - you might have intermittent connection problems.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Check your T11 blue wire out of the FNR (T21 blue as it enters the timer relay at pin 3). Is the voltage from that wire consistent or intermittent?

55 Chevy

Thanks for the help, T11 out of the FNR is intermittent, voltage will vary from approximately .35 to.11 or so. When it decides to go in to forward gear the voltage is 13.5 volts. T21 at timer relay pin 3 does similar, when it goes in forward the voltage goes to 13.5 volts. Rick

Jameselec

I’m it sure if I’m doing this right but I have the same problem as the first post. My tractor JD 310SG worked fine yesterday and today it will not go. The weeks turn when lifted in both forward and rev. Iv looked at timer relay and has voltage to blue wire when in gear but not in neut. bothe tan wires have voltage all the time not sure what else to try??

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Jameselec;)!

Please start your own thread with the complete machine serial number. SG's have multiple schematics, so to access the correct information, I need the complete machine serial number.

The weeks turn when lifted in both forward and rev.

A little better description of your issue and what you have done so far for testing would also help.

Jameselec

I’m it sure if I’m doing this right but I have the same problem as the first post. My tractor JD 310SG worked fine yesterday and today it will not go. The weeks turn when lifted in both forward and rev. Iv looked at timer relay and has voltage to blue wire when in gear but not in neut. bothe tan wires have voltage all the time not sure what else to try??

Jameselec

I read about the timer relay under the panel on the left side and found it and I tested for power to the blue wire and the two tan wires. The blue wire gets 12 volts when it is in gear and both tan wires have power to them when ignition switch is on. That’s is all iv been able to do except at first I checked trans oil level and was below the low level line so I added a little fluid but no change. When it’s on the ground it try’s to move in fwd. and same in rev. Bit won’t move but an little bit. Looked under and don’t see any broken wires or any other thing out of place plus there are no leaks so I’m stumped unless trans just went out sitting there over night?