• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310Kep park brake light

mardi4163

The park brake on my jd 310Kep engages and disengages as it should but the park brake light blinks when the brake is disengaged. It is undoubtedly doing this for a reason but I don't know what it is. Anybody familiar with jd park brakes?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Lets start with the complete machine serial number please.

A flashing PB light usually indicates a command for park brake release with no feedback indicating it is released.

Any message in the monitor when it is flashing?

With the engine running, press and hold the menu button until "SERVICE MENU" is displayed in the monitor, then release the button. Press next until "DIAGNOSTICS" is displayed, press select. Press next until "TRANSMISSION" is displayed, press select. Press next until "PARK BRAKE" is displayed, press select. press select at the submenu for PARK BRAKE PRESS SWITCH., When engaging and disengaging the park brake, does the status of that switch change? If not, then there is no pressure getting to the brake or the pressure switch is defective.

Also, while you are in diagnostics, stop and look at codes. Post any active and stored codes the machine may have.

mardi4163

Thank you for the response. The serial number is 1t0310ekadg250733 and I don't think there is a message on the monitor when the light is flashing but I will check and make sure. I will also follow your directions and get back to you asap.

mardi4163

I followed your instructions and I found that there are two sections to the park brake switch -- "momentary" and "detent" each of which shows up as on or off. Here is a summary of actions and results:

A. Park Brake Switch "on" results in "momentary off" and "detent off" and Park Brake Light "on"

B. Park Brake Switch "off w/ no push on down to detent position" results in "momentary off" and "detent on" and Park Brake Light "on"

C. Park Brake Switch "off w/ push on down to detent position and held there" results in "momentary on" and "detent on" and Park Brake Light "on"

D. Park Brake Switch "off w/ push on down to detent position and then released" results in "momentary off" and "detent on" and Parking Brake Light "blinking"

In the stored codes there were two dealing with the Park Brake:

A. TCU 522379.06 Park Brake Out of Range High

B. TCU 618.07 Park Brake Circuit Mechanical Failure

I hope you can make sense out of this. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
There should have been a pressure switch option to check, but if the above codes are active that does not matter anyway.

While in the service menu, clear the codes. Try releasing the park brake again and post what codes return.

522379.06 - Park brake release solenoid (Y7) low side driver short to power or high side driver short to ground.

618.07 - Park brake pressure switch (B13) circuit did not indicate "released" when park brake release solenoid (Y7) is commanded to release.

The PB solenoid is on the top of the transmission and is the front most solenoid on the right.

The PB pressure switch is mounted on top of the PB which is on the front of the rear axle.

mardi4163

I found the pressure switch option which indicated "on" and when the park brake was engaged and disengaged it stayed "on".
I cleared the codes and TCU 618.07 came back when I switched the Park Brake switch on and off.
Does this mean I need to replace the Park Brake pressure switch AT159811?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I would have checked the pressure first, but if you don't have the capability, then yes, try the pressure switch. Be ready, it is $180. Maybe put eyes on it. I have seen many of them broken or wires torn out from sticks or other debris getting up there.

mardi4163

That's pretty steep!! I think I can get a look at it through the front floor inspection plate which shouldn't be too difficult.
mg2361 I genuinely appreciate your help and hope I can return the favor some time.