• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310D Reverser Problem

dcvee

Occupation
OPS Manager, Mech. Eng.
Hi all new to the forum. Bought a 96 310D turbo 4x4 3 years ago knowing the reverser was a tad on the weak side. The hoe has 5500hrs. I was remodeling a house and thankfully, 3 additions later, the reverser is about gone. So I'm planning my rebuild and gathering information from the forum. I'm going to do the pump, reverser and torque converter. Although I was a bit surprised when I pulled the pan off the reverser today that it wasn't THAT dirty. I had 3-4 small pieces of aluminum in there, about the size of pencil lead and a very small amount of black clutch material. This all developed on my last use when I got a converter overtemp alarm. I've now noticed that the hoe will barely move in 3rd and 4th. I dropped all filters and I'm going to replace with JD filters so I can at least move the hoe to the back 40 of my property until spring. Maybe I'll do it sooner, don't know. I also checked for blockage in the cooler line but it's clean and open.

I have some interior work to do on this house so I'd like to get that finished. I have a smaller backhoe so I'm not out of luck should I need one. So I guess I'm in parts/information gathering mode and based on when I have parts/information, I'll start the job!! I'll be sure to take pictures as I go and supply information too. I see a lot of JD reverser threads in here but not many have an ending.

I'm very impressed with what this hoe can do. It seriously surprised me. I dug 2 basements for my addition in solid Pennsylvania clay, dug 3 sets of footers, removed 2 existing foundations with 8" thick poured concrete walls and knocked a 10'x9' hole through an existing foundation. Removed 60' of sidewalk, installed 100'. Removed 60 cubic yards of old asphalt shingles from my property that some company that used to own the property dumped. I owe this hoe a bit of a makeover. I calculated I moved over 2100 cubic yards of dirt with this machine and I've only had to replace the starter...and that was my own stupidity due to an excessive cranking issue/hard start problem. Turns out it was just the vent in the fuel cap was plugged up and the lift pump was failing due to drawing a vacuum. I carried huge pieces of concrete wall with this thing by the bucket/boom/dipperstick....so big I had to get a scoop of dirt in the loader to keep the front end on the ground...and I even have the 750lb weight in the front!!

Look forward to working with you guys/gals. Right now I'm using the search function and learning the task ahead of me. My first searching will be removal of the reverser/bell housing since I want to replace the torque converter as well. I also have to get a manual. I have the Operation and Test manual but need the service/maintenance manual as well. Ebay?

Anyway, I'll keep the group posted as I go on my journey...should be fun!! And Merry Christmas all!!

Don

Deon

dcvee,
Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised that your reverser is gone at only 5500 hrs. My 1992 310D has 9500 hrs and no reverser problems yet but I bought it at 8300 hrs and the reverser could have already been redone. I know of a 310c with over 13000 hrs and reverser has never been off. But that may be an exception.
Anyway your in for a redo now. Brokentractor.com sells the repair kits or completely rebuilt reverser/torque converter assemblies. There are also a few other vendors on the web that sell these Borgue Warner reverses. Hope you find what you need and get it all fixed up.

dcvee

Occupation
OPS Manager, Mech. Eng.
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I was surprised my backhoe was having trouble too...until I started searching on the web and saw how many of these JD TLB had issues with reversers. I've also saw most of your replies to these threads on reversers and I've been on both sides of the fence!! I guess it all depends how much abuse and how much maintenance a machine was seen over the years. Mine came from a farm. Now I hope I don't offend any farmers on here because I know what it's like. I worked on a dairy farm for 3 years in high school and at least on our farm and others I worked/helped on(hired out at times), equipment was abused and never was maintenance until it broke down!! We just bought more tractors/equipment!! Anyway, I knew the stall speed on my unit was higher than it should be the day I picked it up so it's no shock. The hoe has actually performed perfectly and I don't mind throwing a couple of buck in it including my time/labor. Even though most of my projects are completed now, I many still keep this thing around a few more years after repairing it whereas my plan was to sell it after the renovations were complete.

Now as I said in my first post, I was surprised to find the fluid in pretty good shape....and a little burnt smelling but nothing like I expected. Even the pickup screen had very little blockage. Like I said in my first post, some debris but nothing like I expected to find. After draining the old fluid including the torque converter, cleaning the pickup screen, changing the spin-on filter and swapping out fluid this morning I'm very surprised to see an improvement in performance. I'm pretty comfortable now waiting until spring. Now I did a few unconventional things this morning that may be of some value to folks going forward(no pun intended)who just need to get their machines moving enough to a more comfortable rebuild time. I replaced all the JD stuff with a Fram PH20A filter, TSC Premium Hydraulic fluid and I added a quart of Lucas Transmission Fix additive as well. Again, as stated, I'm shocked at the improvement. 2 days ago my hoe would barely move in 3rd and would sit still in 4th. I can now feel just a bit of slipping in 3rd and 4th has just a bit more slipping than 4th.

Now I couldn't do a full-on torque test since it's so wet around here I could spin all 4 tires the way the tranny was before!! But based on my quick drive up a hill on one of my fields and down my paved driveway(almost a 1/2 mile long)this thing is about as good as it was the day I picked it up. Now, based on the band-aide job I did this morning I fully expect the performance to degrade and in no means am I saying my fix is a fix!! But like I said, for a cheap, easy and temporary repair it at least will get me through the winter.

Thanks much for the reply Deon!!....I'm going to start shopping for the rebuild parts now seeing what kind of deals I can come up with.

Don

dcvee

Occupation
OPS Manager, Mech. Eng.
Well, I'm back again!! Just a quick update if anyone is following. The transmission is working BUT I can tell it's going to need some attention....my addition of Lucas Tranny fix did it's job and helped me through another year! This machine deserves it too. It's been a REAL money saver around here. Not to mention I real time saver. Anyway, I have the house all completed and I want to enlarge my pond this fall so I'm going to order some parts here and do a reverser rebuild and put a rebuilt convertor in as well. No sense cheaping out...it's a good machine otherwise and still has plenty of life left in it. Besides...I think I've "bonded" with it!!! Look for a rebuild around mid-summer. I'll take pictures and document it as I go. Here's a picture of my "crew" and some of the work I've done with these machines. Yes, that little Kubota dug that whole inground pool out!! After making an offer on the 310D, I couldn't wait and started with the Kubota. 3 weeks later, the owner of the 310D called and said to come and pick her up!! It sure would have been nice to have that 310D 3 weeks earlier!20150419_092905.jpg IMAG0271.jpg IMAG0721.jpg

Deon, I hope the year has been kind to you and your family!

Don

dcvee

Occupation
OPS Manager, Mech. Eng.
Just a quick update on this...in case anyone is considering an additive to their reverser to help them through a tight spot. It's been 3 years of sporadic use and the Lucas fix is still doing it's job. Sure I can tell the clutches are slipping but it's functional...what I use to do in 2nd gear I now do in 1st just to ease up on the tranny. I have a few more jobs to finish up and I'll be pulling the reverser for a rebuild. I just thought I check in and report back in case someone might be in the same tight spot and needs a bandaide until they have time to fix it right. Obviously, this fix only applies to reversers that have slipping clutches...not broken parts/solenoid issues. Thanks all, hope you're safe in this mess!
Don

James Garcia

Tengo un problema con la contramarcha hidraulica de la 310D, se cambiaron todos los interiores, luego se montó y se puso a prueba, resultado: no registra presión de aceite, no hay presión de aceite y la máquina no se mueve. la bomba tiene alguna posición especial, hay que precargarla, como sacar aire del sistema?. Pido su valiosa ayuda.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, James !
I cannot help you, but others may be able to.
This is his problem.---->
I have a problem with the hydraulic reverse gear of the 310D, all the interiors were changed, then it was mounted and tested, result: it does not register oil pressure, there is no oil pressure and the machine does not move. Does the pump have a special position, it must be pre-charged, how to extract air from the system? I ask for your valuable help.

emmett518

Hi all new to the forum. Bought a 96 310D turbo 4x4 3 years ago knowing the reverser was a tad on the weak side. The hoe has 5500hrs. I was remodeling a house and thankfully, 3 additions later, the reverser is about gone. So I'm planning my rebuild and gathering information from the forum. I'm going to do the pump, reverser and torque converter. Although I was a bit surprised when I pulled the pan off the reverser today that it wasn't THAT dirty. I had 3-4 small pieces of aluminum in there, about the size of pencil lead and a very small amount of black clutch material. This all developed on my last use when I got a converter overtemp alarm. I've now noticed that the hoe will barely move in 3rd and 4th. I dropped all filters and I'm going to replace with JD filters so I can at least move the hoe to the back 40 of my property until spring. Maybe I'll do it sooner, don't know. I also checked for blockage in the cooler line but it's clean and open.

I have some interior work to do on this house so I'd like to get that finished. I have a smaller backhoe so I'm not out of luck should I need one. So I guess I'm in parts/information gathering mode and based on when I have parts/information, I'll start the job!! I'll be sure to take pictures as I go and supply information too. I see a lot of JD reverser threads in here but not many have an ending.

I'm very impressed with what this hoe can do. It seriously surprised me. I dug 2 basements for my addition in solid Pennsylvania clay, dug 3 sets of footers, removed 2 existing foundations with 8" thick poured concrete walls and knocked a 10'x9' hole through an existing foundation. Removed 60' of sidewalk, installed 100'. Removed 60 cubic yards of old asphalt shingles from my property that some company that used to own the property dumped. I owe this hoe a bit of a makeover. I calculated I moved over 2100 cubic yards of dirt with this machine and I've only had to replace the starter...and that was my own stupidity due to an excessive cranking issue/hard start problem. Turns out it was just the vent in the fuel cap was plugged up and the lift pump was failing due to drawing a vacuum. I carried huge pieces of concrete wall with this thing by the bucket/boom/dipperstick....so big I had to get a scoop of dirt in the loader to keep the front end on the ground...and I even have the 750lb weight in the front!!

Look forward to working with you guys/gals. Right now I'm using the search function and learning the task ahead of me. My first searching will be removal of the reverser/bell housing since I want to replace the torque converter as well. I also have to get a manual. I have the Operation and Test manual but need the service/maintenance manual as well. Ebay?

Anyway, I'll keep the group posted as I go on my journey...should be fun!! And Merry Christmas all!!

Don

After posting this story, did you do the Tim the Toolman Taylor grunt? It’s necessary after you tell these kinds of stories.
Great tale!

Keith Babcock

Hi I have a 96 310D with around 6500 hours, I had the reverser replaced at dealer a little over a year ago now it won't move either direction oil looks good nothing in oil pan when I drained it to check . I have checked forward and reverse wires and voltage, also removed and check valve is moving, checked voltage to dump valve .
Is the a chance the dump valve clutch valve is bad ?
Thanks

Finca SDR

In my limited experience, whenever the transmission doesn't do "anything" it's an electrical or solenoid or valve plunger problem.

You say you tested everything, have you pulled the valves out and tested their action by running power through the solenoids?

I had to replace the clutch cutout solenoid and valve eventually. When I bought it the previous owner told me it gets stuck open occasionally and I'd have to give it a sharp tap on the top nut of the solenoid to free it. Eventually it became so common I replaced it.

Finca SDR

Remember you have two solenoids, the clutch cutout and the forward neutral reverse solenoid. Both can cause the described problem

emmett518

I love it when experts give advice and it solves the problem at low cost.

You guys rock!