• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310-D Backhoe

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
My John Deere 310 D back hoe quit/stopped running this afternoon. Just like the switch was turned out. I had started it up traveled over to my pasture that is about 400 yards away. I had got some stuff in the loader bucket and moved up about ten feet and it cut off.
It has fuel in the tank and I'm getting power to the injector pump with the switch on and the engine cranking over. That's about all I had a chance to check, since I dropped the drive shaft out of my wrecker trying to get it out of the pasture and closer to the shop. It was a good time to quit as I was getting really po'ed at the time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Delmer

I think the solenoid action is hidden/internal. I'd check to see that the solenoid is clicking, turn the key on, remove the wire at the solenoid, and reconnect the wire, it should click each time you reconnect.

If that clicks, then check that your injector pump is getting fuel, then loosen one injector line at the injector and see if there's any fuel squirting while cranking, if not, remove the fuel return and see if there's any fuel pumping there when cranking.

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I think the solenoid action is hidden/internal. I'd check to see that the solenoid is clicking, turn the key on, remove the wire at the solenoid, and reconnect the wire, it should click each time you reconnect.

If that clicks, then check that your injector pump is getting fuel, then loosen one injector line at the injector and see if there's any fuel squirting while cranking, if not, remove the fuel return and see if there's any fuel pumping there when cranking.
Maybe I can get in before dark and try this. Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
THAT DESCRIPTION ISNT GOOD.. I normally hear that exact same scenario when a pump seizes..
The head & rotor locks up..
Now if it slowely dies out like is was running out of fuel, we could work w/ that..
IF your SURE u have power to the solenoid while cranking.. try this.
Pull the INLET hose & fitting off the pump..
Take note of where the fuel level is in the back of the pump..
I normally advise people to fill it up to the top..w/fuel.
NOW crank it over & recheck the fuel level in the back of the pump..
IF it went DOWN.. thats GOOD..
IF it stayed the same.. break out the ol' check book.. cuz its gonna sting..

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
THAT DESCRIPTION ISNT GOOD.. I normally hear that exact same scenario when a pump seizes..
Now if it slowely dies out like is was running out of fuel, we could work w/ that..

Haven’t been able to get in early to check it. May take off Friday and try this took.

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
Finally was able to check a couple things.
I have power to the solenoid in the injector pump. Took the wire off touched it back to the terminal with the switch on, clicked each time I put it on.
Took both pressure and return lines loose from the Injector pump. Used lever on supply pump and got fuel to the injector pump on each pump. With the line loose on top of the injector pump I had helper to crank the engine over. Fuel was pushed out the top of the pump. I loosened a injector line and cranked the engine over too. But never got any fuel from the the connection at the pump that goes to an injector.
There wasn't a flood of fuel coming from the line at the pump but I figured this would be much better had it started.
The pressure line comes to the pump in the center of the lines that goes to the injectors? The one on top of the pump is a return line?
Any other suggestions?

Delmer

Try thepumpguy's method in post #6, you want to see if the injection pump will move fuel without the transfer pump pressurizing it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
YEAH, THATS AN EASY CHECK..
& if the fuel gets sucked down into the inlet, we know it isnt seized & can work from there..

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager

I guess I’m missing something here.
Take the inlet hose and fitting off the transfer pump or the injector pump? On the injector pump it appears that the line in the middle of the four injector line is the supply? The one on top of the injector pump appers to be the return?

Thanks

Delmer

Yes, take the inlet and outlet off the injection pump, and see if the level goes down as you crank the engine. If the level moves, then we can try other things. If it doesn't move, I think you're taking the pump off.

You want to see if the injection pump is turning. The transfer pump runs off a different part, we know that is working.

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I disconnected both lines. Removed the adapter fitting on top. It was full of fuel. Cracked the engine over several times. Fuel level didn't lower if anything it pushed some out.

Delmer

did the inlet level drop? I'm not picturing this injection pump that well.

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
The inlet line comes in horizontal, picture a clock with the injector line connecting to the pump at 12, 3, 6 and 9. With the supply line connected in the middle.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
1 MORE TIME....
Take the FITTING OUT of the inlet on the BACK of the Inj. PUMP..
Pour enough fuel INTO THE INLET till its to the top..
CRANK THE ENGINE & get off AND LOOK AT THE INLET where u poured the fuel to the top..
Is the GD fuel STILL THERE ?? is it sucked down???

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
The red circle is the inlet fuel supply, right? The black circle is the return? With this line being horizontal, I'm just totally missing what i need to do to fill this connection. Maybe the picture helps explain my setup more. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

This was what I done earlier this afternoon; I had both supply and return lines taken loose and the adapter fitting for the return top line on top. The port for the return line was full of fuel. Had my son Crank the engine over and a little fuel pushed out the return line port.

Attachments

• CEB437B8-B5A8-4455-928C-B02AF4D050CD.jpeg
    CEB437B8-B5A8-4455-928C-B02AF4D050CD.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 68

thepumpguysc

Occupation
NOBODY BUT U have said anything about the RETURN.. The WHOLE process is done on the fkn INLET..
Take the BRASS FITTING OUT of the INLET.. then theres a HOLE.. FILL THE fkn HOLE w/ fuel..
CRANK THE ENGINE.. does the fuel go down or stay the same.??
U make it hard to love you.. Lol..

Dodgewade

Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I removed the inlet line and fitting. Could not tell much about the fuel level. After putting the fitting back in filling it with fuel and cranking it over the fuel disappeared. This was done three or four times.

Something else I did;
I removed the fuel filter/water separator didn't see that there was a drain on the bottom before removing. It had some water and other nasty looking stuff. Put the filter back on stroked the transfer pump until I got fuel with no air at the top of the filter housing. I reason I checked the fuel filter / water separator was I took the inlet line loose, pushed a plastic drink bottle over the line to catch some fuel and it didn't seem to have very much fuel coming to the injector pump. I had my son pumping it for maybe a minute and didn't get over a couple ounces of fuel. With the engine turning over, it's not much better.
I feel the love, LOL, HUH!

Attachments

• A26476E2-E762-4F67-B19E-CA5FFCDF6391.jpeg
    A26476E2-E762-4F67-B19E-CA5FFCDF6391.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 35