• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 2950 Tachometer input signal

ericsundbergva

Hello,

I am trying to help with a VDO tach on a Deere 2950.

I need to know the number of pulses per engine revolution the tachometer receives from the electronic sensor on the cam shaft.

Really appreciate any help. If I knew the number of teeth on the gear that the sensor picks up from that would help.

The dealer and manual don't seem to spec it.

Andrew_D

I tried looking on jdparts.com but there are quite a few options depending on whether the tractor has an open-operator's station, sound-gard cab, sound-gard canopy, etc. Also, a couple of dash layouts. Sound-Guard cabs have an electronic readout for the tach (as my 4250 does), however the open station tractor's have a mechanical gauge that shows engine RPM and ground speed. (Is that what you meant by a VDO tach??)

Didn't see much on there that helped I'm afraid.

Andrew

ericsundbergva

Thanks for replying. The tach or tachometer is an analog pointer type that indicates engine RPM. There is a pulse generator on an idler I believe runs at half the engine speed. But I need to know how many pulses it puts out to the tachometer for each engine revolution.