• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 200LC general maintenance & operation questions

DirtyHoe

Hello,

I'm helping a friend get a John Deere 200LC up and running. It appears to be in great condition with only 5,600 hours. It has been parked outside for most of its life and has seen little use with the prior owner. It has not been used in several years. It was part of a land purchase that has a small rock quarry.
This is where we are with it so far. We checked all the fluids(I think) and they look great. I drained the water catch on the diesel filter/separator and also drained the bottom of the diesel tank. The petcock drain was clogged and I got it flowing by poking it with a heavy wire. No water came out, but there was some sediment. Most of it was magnetic.
We replaced the batteries and it started right up! I ran it around the pit digging and moving. Every function works great. The machine is very strong and the pins are tight. I rented a new machine this size a few years ago that only had 300 hours on it and I don't notice any difference between the two machines.

No visible leaks anywhere, except one boom cylinder is weeping around the wiper.
Any know problems with this machine I should be looking for?
What should be done to it maintenance-wise moving forward? I don't think it will get a lot of use by my friend. He is not sure what his plans are for the quarry. He bought the property for the location and privacy, not the quarry.

The serial number is FF0200X500669. Can you tell me what the year is?
What would be a guestimate of its resale value? It's out in the middle of nowhere in Southern Oregon.
More questions to come. It has a big excavator-mounted bucket rock crusher that we need to test out.

Thank you!
Steve
20220319_183459.jpg20220319_183548.jpg20220320_153556.jpg20220320_080156.jpg

Last edited:

excavator

If it has been sitting for several years I would do a complete service on it, change all the oils and filters. As you start to use the machine you will likely start to notice more cylinders beginning to weep since it has been sitting a while and the seals tend to get hard. Overall that is a very good machine, I don't know of any real problems that they had. Just a word of caution, with a hydraulic quick coupler the bucket will likely hit the cab when fully boomed up and stick completely in. Just be careful, don't want to ruin a good cab on such a nice machine.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hello,

I'm helping a friend get a John Deere 200LC up and running. It appears to be in great condition with only 5,600 hours. It has been parked outside for most of its life and has seen little use with the prior owner. It has not been used in several years. It was part of a land purchase that has a small rock quarry.
This is where we are with it so far. We checked all the fluids(I think) and they look great. I drained the water catch on the diesel filter/separator and also drained the bottom of the diesel tank. The petcock drain was clogged and I got it flowing by poking it with a heavy wire. No water came out, but there was some sediment. Most of it was magnetic.
We replaced the batteries and it started right up! I ran it around the pit digging and moving. Every function works great. The machine is very strong and the pins are tight. I rented a new machine this size a few years ago that only had 300 hours on it and I don't notice any difference between the two machines.

No visible leaks anywhere, except one boom cylinder is weeping around the wiper.
Any know problems with this machine I should be looking for?
What should be done to it maintenance-wise moving forward? I don't think it will get a lot of use by my friend. He is not sure what his plans are for the quarry. He bought the property for the location and privacy, not the quarry.

The serial number is FF0200X500669. Can you tell me what the year is?
What would be a guestimate of its resale value? It's out in the middle of nowhere in Southern Oregon.
More questions to come. It has a big excavator-mounted bucket rock crusher that we need to test out.

Thank you!
Steve
View attachment 255329View attachment 255326View attachment 255327View attachment 255328

If you like the complete set of manual pm or post your email and I send them to you .

DirtyHoe

If you look close, the quick couple has been bastardized. Someone cut a section of the plate that holds the rear boss and modified it on both sides. Why would they do this since the bucket link can adust to any pin-to-pin distance?
After studying a bit I noticed the bucket tag says John Deere 160. So I did a little research and found this(pin sizes and distance data):
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/pin-on-bucket-mounting-specs.28775/page-2

I have a 160 quick coupler(Miller brand) and bucket on a 200 size machine. Is this a common thing or are the coupler and bucket going to fail over time?

20220320_080129 modified.jpg 20220320_143124.jpg

Last edited: