• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 17ZTS - Slow dig/travel

ridgesol

I have a 17ZTS that is experiencing slow dig and travel. I ran the time tests and the the blade and swing times are good, but the dig and travel times are bad. It isn't overly loud, but there is a definite buzz in the hydraulics like it is straining. I've checked all the pump pressure reliefs and they all are within spec or were close and responded to change.

In the Diagnose Propel Section of the manual, there is a specific symptom listed for this behavior. It points out a stuck pilot valve (I've already checked this) or bad "check valves". Searching the Operations and Tests manual, the Service Manual and Parts manual, I cannot find any reference to "check valves". Poppets, yes, but not "check valves". I called the local John Deere and they were not able to identify what this was referring to. I'm not knocking JD service, but the previous owner already spent $1,400 dollars to fix the problem and it is still occurring, so I am hesitant to take it back in. Any thoughts? Am I on the wrong trail or is there a known issue?

Another issue I saw as I went through tests was that the Boom down and Arm in and out circuit relief valves will not respond to adjustment. Since they are the same part number, I swapped them around and the out of spec pressures moved with them. Are these known for failure?

Thanks!
Kenneth

Last edited:

ridgesol

My statement about the repair bill may have offended the very people that could help me. I meant no offense, only to express $1,400 is a large percentage of the machine's worth and taking the chance that if may not get fixed even if I spend another $1,400 is hard to accept.
I purchased the Service and Test manuals, and believe that JD owes the owners of these machines more that the poor documentation that they charged for as well.
I'll just have to keep searching.