• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John deere 110 tlb thumb position help !!!

zigmund

I bought a thumb off ebay and i'm wondering whats the best way to install it so it works the best . should i go 90 degees to the dipperstick? or have it little past/before 90? as u can see in the pic it has 3 pin positions should i have the middle pin welded at 90? or1st or 3rd at 90
thanks zigmund
25_0[1].jpg

3f_2[2].jpg

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
First, welcome to the site!

I hate to admit it, but I've never used a thumb equipped machine, so I can't offer an answer. (Maybe it's cause I'm so good I don't need one. :bouncegri )

:rolleyes:

I have a question though--how many degrees of difference do you get from one pin position to another?

zigmund

re thumb

im not sure, i,m going to wit until i put it on this weekend.

if you mostly dig and not much of other work.(trees stumps rocke demo etc....) u dont need a thumb.
but if u do a thumb is like the differance between a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.you can do twice as much in half the time. i was running a kamotsu excavater (about the size of a jd 690)for a contracter cleaning up a demo job with it and i couldnt believe how easy it was to sort through the debree i was able to pick up flatened soda cans
with it(no bull)
i do alot of tree removel and im going to start doing big rock walls so it will be a must.
also you dont beat up your dipperstick as bad pinching
things against it.
if you do more than dig 25% of the time get a thumb.
or rent a machine with one on and youll see what i mean.
:thumbsup

Wulf

Take a look at the pic and the webpage for how these guys mount them
http://www.rocklandmfg.com/excavator/mini.htm

I would tack it on and check its positioning before attaching it permanently and be careful with the welding process because you could damage the stick if the welds not finished right or the heat affects the adjacent plate too much.

Attachments

• Thumb.jpg
    Thumb.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,121

zigmund

re:thumb

thanks wolf
what do you think would be a good rod to use 7014-7018-
6018 etc.....?? size rods and amps?
thanks again

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Zigmund--My homemade thumb is 90 deg. to the dipper but from your pics it seems you just move the pin around--yes? I was looking at your buy--it seems a tad lite for real heavy work or is it just a bad pic--can't really see the thickness of the steel?

zigmund

re:thumb

well,i was more thinking about when i mount it if i should
set at 90 on the the middle pin or at the first so i could open it wider if need be
its pretty heavy shipping wt was 70lbs its at least 1/2
inch or a little better. and it would be easy to beef if need be. for 300.00 i think its preety good jd hydro thumb
is 1500.00 at the cheapest and from what i understand its a piece of crap.and i dont have the time to make one right now.if this one doesnt hold up i guess ill have to make the time.:Banghead
thanks.

Wulf

zigmund said:
thanks wolf
what do you think would be a good rod to use 7014-7018-
6018 etc.....?? size rods and amps?
thanks again

Sorry Zig... I'm not a welder but I've seen the damage that welding on sticks and booms can do.

Maybe someone else can offer advice?

Dusty

Charter Member
make sure u stich it on weld a little and go away or u willwarp the boom

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Zigmund--The old adage--"You get what you pay for" could'nt be any more true than right here.1/2" plate is not going to cut it unless you're going to pick up beer cans.My home-made thumb was built out of 2'' hardened steel with3/4'' mounting ears.I'vesqueezed anything and everything-in about 5 years it's still like the day we built it.Don't be afraid to cook yours to your dipper--you're not going to warp anything--how do you think it was formed in the first place?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
tuney443 said:
Don't be afraid to cook yours to your dipper--you're not going to warp anything--how do you think it was formed in the first place?

I don't think that's entirely true. If welded on too hot it can damage the stick.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
tuney443 said:
1/2" plate is not going to cut it unless you're going to pick up beer cans.
Hang on a second, the 110 is only a 43 hp backhoe. If it was made out of 2" you wouldn't be able to lift much besides the thumb...
No offense meant to your JD 110 here zigmund! It's a great machine - I have the Kubota version of it (L39) and I'd like a thumb for mine one day too.
Send us pictures when you get it mounted.
Steve posted a link to a welding web that may be able to help with the "how much heat / what kind of rod questions"

Regards all,

Wulf

CascadeScaper said:
I don't think that's entirely true. If welded on too hot it can damage the stick.

Thats right. The micro-structure of the steel plate can be altered in the heat affected zone. The way the welds are finished can also set up a stress point and initiate a crack. You shouldn't be scared to do it but get some advice.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Don't weld that thumb on with the plate as is. The weld will be perpendicular to the line of the stick and cause a problem. However, some sticks are "thumb ready" which means they are constructed with a thumb mounting point in mind. Do some research if you can.

If you can't find anything then you need to make a "fish plate". This is a stretched diamond shaped plate with the points rounded off. The plate is welded to the stick with low hydrogen mig (less heat input) and then your mounting plate is welded to that. It only needs one good single pass. The fish plate distributes the load and reduces forming a node or hard point in the stick.

Have a look around, I'm sure you will find a few examples of how this is done. And if you see one just welded on with a perdicular weld across the stick remember...just cause somebody else is getting away with it doesn't mean its right.

Ideally the fish plate should be the same or only a 1/16' thicker than the material the stick is constructed from.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
First,I never told Zigmund to use 2'' steel,I simply was comparing thicknesses.Second,I'm sure the 110 can handle that if it was mounted--we're only talking3-400Lbs. here.Lastly,if you know what you're doing,nothing is going to warp here and this is why a professional welder is in order here.