• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Job coordination gone wrong

skyking1

I moved into a tight jobsite, and the site and utility contractor was digging in the sanitary sewer today. No problem we can work it out. I bring the machine over and nose in as far as I can, unload, then back out empty and get rid of the trailer back to the yard, and get a load of bedding.
I get back and pull the excavator as far as I can without cutting down string lines, and back the dump truck right up to my counterweight. Then I get some help stomping down the string lines and move the excavator in.
Before I can get back to the truck it got whacked by the loader operator. He got by it once but the second trip he was watching the wrong side.
PXL_20220104_200339688~2.jpg
The hood is toast and the bumper is taco'ed.
PXL_20220104_234110306.jpg

He calls his boss and fills out an incident report. He says they will get the parts together and get back with me.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Damn. Will they be able to find a new hood? Getting parts for our L9000 is a treasure hunt.

Good luck.

skyking1

I don't know and they have a big operation with their own shop guy hunting it down now, supposedly.
You know the saying, when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail?
When you work with plumbers..............

PXL_20220106_222116466.jpg

crane operator

Ouch, that too bad.

I've never seen that little scoop on a l9000, are you going to have to save yours off the old hood?

Our old international the headlight bucket is all clapped out on, its kind of duct tape/ ziptied/ hope and a prayer held in there. Its a good thing we don't drive much at night, because the headlight bounces up and down like a dashboard hula girl - its a little distracting.

skyking1

yes it is a bolt on part for the air inlet on the Cat 3406. the turbine stock inlet doohickey does nothing. You have not seen that bump because not many of these trucks were sold with Cat power. It was purchased before my time, but I am glad it has Cat rather than the alternatives.
Check out the brand new aftermarket hood I am ordering.
05-12554-1_l.jpg

I wonder if I even need to paint that gelcoat? Maybe just wax it and enjoy?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Where did you order that hood? Might need it one day.

I am jealous you have a 3406 in your L9000, I have an L10 Cummins...:(:rolleyes:

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
A fiberglass repair on it won't hold up or look decent. I hope they find a good clip for the old girl.

That repair looks great, almost can't tell, just needs a little touch up paint!

A fiberglass repair can hold up, but its a lot of work to do, feathering way back, woven roven for the first layer bonded well to existing, feather in more fabric and build it up slowly before epoxy, primer, paint. Have done some boat repairs and excavator cover repairs and spent way more hours than would ever be profitable but never a crack, chip or failure. Football sized hole in a canoe was tough because the sides have to flex a little.

Need a stainless wrecker bumper.

skyking1

skyking1

I imagine there are a lot of shifts you make with that L10 that I do not make with the Cat :D
It is amazing how it comes out of the hole at 1200 RPM. I think " maybe I better shift" and I turn the corner and up we go.

skyking1

Do you think a straight 18" bumper would look stupid?
display.php

Current bumper is a tapered end 16" with no fog holes.
display.php

I'm thinking in this case less is more. Here is the stock look with the taper. I think the big bumper might be dorky.

PXL_20220318_183506316~2.jpg

Last edited: