• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jlg60h boom lift

rmelectricalsvc

Occupation
Electrician
jlg60h with deutz diesel wont start from platform and sometimes engine dies as soon as switched from ground to platform. also swing from platform works sometimes and doesnt other times. everything works great from ground controls. has 3 pq controllers....drive lift and swing

rmelectricalsvc

Occupation
Electrician
jlg60h with deutz diesel wont start from platform and sometimes engine dies as soon as switched from ground to platform. also swing from platform works sometimes and doesnt other times. everything works great from ground controls. has 3 pq controllers....drive lift and swing
Hoping OFF or Willie will see this and try to help me through this. Thanks in advance. Roger

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hi, I just found your thread. I would make sure the ignition toggle switch in the basket is functioning properly. They see a lot of action and then don't like the rain. Make sure there is good power to the switch (12+ volts) and be sure there is good power leaving the switch when it's on.

rmelectricalsvc

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you OFF for your reply. I will be back around the lift friday morning and will check. I'm not sure I remember a toggle in the basket for ignition, just a push button, but will double check. Thanks again!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
My memory says they had a toggle switch for ignition on/off in the basket. Yours could have been modified. I looked in the manual and didn't see anything other than toggles.

A lot of the 60H came with a steering wheel in basket. We ended up removing them all. Hydraulically controlled steering might work fine in Florida, but in Canada on a cold day, they were unusable. With the cold oil expected to make its way from base, up the boom hoses to the steering wheel and then back down the boom again to the steer cylinders......it just didn't happen.

rbcanaday

Thank you OFF for your reply. I will be back around the lift friday morning and will check. I'm not sure I remember a toggle in the basket for ignition, just a push button, but will double check. Thanks again!
Did you get yours fixed? My 40h is doing same thing. Push button from basket and I hear a clicking but will not start.
Starts fine from ground

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I looked in the 40H manual and there are two styles of basket controls. I was used to seeing the toggle & start button kind. But I see there is also a start button only type. I'm not familiar with them, but I see it's a blue wire (#40) going down to the main box on the ground, and a couple Bosch type relays in there.

rbcanaday

Off: I see same blue wire but not certain how to troubleshoot. I figure I can use a test light and make sure basket button is getting the 12v.

The machine (40h) has a master switch w/ key and an ignition switch on ground. Also has the start button in basket. If machine shuts off or e-stop is pressed from basket. Then I have to cycle the master key switch or it won’t even try to start. When I cycle thaT key switch I can hear a relay moving so I’m wondering if I have a bad relay or one not getting signal. The print is hard for me to follow. Thoughts?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
You really should try and get yourself a cheap multi meter (volt meter) for doing this kinda stuff. Your test light doesn't really give you a true picture of what's going on.
I have a 40H manual, and I was trying to follow that print in there, and it didn't make any sense to me either. Any luck locating that #40 blue wire in the main box on the ground?

rbcanaday

I have several volt meters and some electrical experience but no expert.
From what I see the blue 40 only goes to foot switch. I think the 12v may come thru foot switch and when you press start button it sends the 12v signal to start on the black wire. But I’m certainly not sure of that just what I could make out.
So where I get lost is where that signal goes back to the ground controls.