• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG two problems......

barklee

I have two lifts that are giving me fits and i cant seem to figure out either one....

JLG 1200 SJP: I had a problem getting the outriggers out this morning and determined with a call to JLG that the horn wiring had come disconnected in the upper box. Yea, i know that sounds crazy but thats what it was. So, with that fixed the out rigger went out and everything worked as it should. When i was done checking everything and ready to put it away the from extendable wheels wouldnt go in. The rear ones closest to the platform go in and out just fine but not the front ones. I checked all four prox switches and they seem to be working. Not sure where to go with this next. Any ideas of what to check? When you try to retract them the machine does slow down like its getting a signal. The ground was ice covered so i think this is the best possible senario to be trying this....

JLG 80HX+6: The steering will not steer to the right. Yesterday i unloaded it from the semi and it acted up but snapped out of it till i went around to park it, then the wheel wouldnt turn again. I have located and checked the coil that activates this function. I put a wrench on it and it is magnitized. I also tried jogging the axle switch to see if it was maybe splitting power to both functions. It doesnt appear to be doing that. I also used a jumper to put 12v of power to this and no change. Checked the ground also. Any ideas on this one?
Thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Can't help with the 1200 as I haven't worked on one of those, but that 80HX has a simple bang bang valve for the steer. Have you switched the control wires that go to the two coils to make left toggle control right steer and right toggle control left steer? This would help tell you if it's an electrical/switch problem or a problem with the valve/coils. Also switch the coils and actuator spools. Lastly, could be a metal fragment lodged inside the valve that monkeys with valve spool movement. Remove both coils and actuator spools and make sure the main valve spool moves freely in both directions.

barklee

Didnt make it that far with switching the wires around. I figured the electrical part was working being that it labors the engine a little and the coil is magnetized. I will try this tomorrow. The valve for this function look to have the coil built into the valve. They dont slip over with a nut on the end like some of the others. The valve has what looks like 4 bolts, one on each corner holding the whole thing together. The left steer and right steer valves oppose each other. Should i take those 4 bolts out to inspect the coil and spool?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The valve for this function look to have the coil built into the valve. They dont slip over with a nut on the end like some of the others. The valve has what looks like 4 bolts, one on each corner holding the whole thing together.

Yes, the Racine bang bang solenoid valve. Unlike those other valve that you describe, one nut holding the coil on, these solenoid valves will come apart in pieces if you want to go that far. Switch the wiring to the coils first and see where that takes us. If it will still won't steer right we'll dig deeper into that solenoid valve. :)