• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG T500J Questions

SR-71

I recently purchased a used (2017) JLG T500J towable lift (24v model) for use on my property. I've never owned a lift before and was hoping to get a few newbee questions answered:

* Is there a diagnostic tool that connects to the T500J? If so, what is the model #, where does it connect, and where can I order one?

* I need to order a few minor parts (down rigger covers, side running lights), where is the best place to submit and order for parts, phone or online?

* I'm curious if anyone has gotten stuck with their T500J lifted, and if so how did you get down? Is it possible to have someone manually operate the hydraulic pump and lower the cage safely?

* And finally, does it hurt the batteries to leave battery charger plugged in for long periods?

Any help with any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Butch

K-Mo

Butch,
I may be able to help with most of your questions. Let me know you still need info. I have an Engine Powered JLG T500J.
"SR-71". In a previous life visited the skunk works. Was on the HQ SAC Maintenance Standardization Evaluation Team (MSET). Visited Beale a couple of times.

SR-71

K-Mo thanks for the reply. Over the last few months I opened up an account with JLG and replaced all broken and/or worn parts on my T500J. The only thing left to do is replace some of the hyradulic hoses which run through the boom. A few of these hydraulic hoses are showing signs of cracks at the 180 bend points. I've purchsaed the replacement hoses and plan to have a shop replace those the hoses soon.

I'm curious if you've had any issues with your T500J, and how often you've needed to lube the main base gearing?

K-Mo

You can download manuals from the following link. Operator's, Parts, Service and Troubleshooting. These four manuals will tell you about everything there is to know.

Analyzer Kit, JLG part no. 2901443

For parts, GOOGLE the part number and you'll find several sources.

My Platform Control Box developed a joystick issue. Troubleshot to circuit board with analyzer. Engine Choke Solenoid Relay failure. Now have an apparent fluid leak at the reservoir/control valve interface. No really major issues.
The manual will give lube info. The the main worm drive gear will depend on use and environment. Lubing with specified lube is a messy job. My JLG is just for personal use so my lube job should last for a long time.

SR-71

I purchased my T500J used about a year ago, a 2017 model with fairly low hours (238). I also use mine for personal use. When I first got my Lift home I noticed a thin film of hydraulic fluid collected under certain fittings, especially around the pump. I went through all fittings and tightened them and found a few that were somewhat loose, so I think I may have fixed that problem.

I don't have an JLG Analyzer yet, but I plan to order one soon. Where does the Analyzer connect?

As for the Analzyer part number, I was told by JLG Parts the Analyzer I need for my T500J is part # 1001249695. Perhaps the Analzyer part number(s) are linked to certain serial number ranges, or this may be an updated part number?

SR-71

Something else I forgot to ask. Have you ever had your T500J boom stop working when the cage was elevated? If so, how did you get it down?

K-Mo

Yes, make sure you get the correct analyzer by serial number. Analyzer operation is covered in the Troubleshooting Manual. The analyzer connects to the bottom of the main control panel.
Emergency procedures for manual operation are covered in the Operator's Manual. The emergency procedure requires a second person to operate the valves and manual pump. Manual rotation is by using a socket and ratchet on the end of the hydraulic motor shaft. If you are stuck in the basket, I don't think there's much you can do other than make sure you have a cellphone :>).
Mine is engine powered. So, consider my comments may have some variation from your electric powered.
Have downloaded the manuals?

SR-71

Yes, I downloaded Operator's and Parts Manuals but I didn't know there was a Troubleshooting Manual. I need to find that.

I saw a video where a guy got stuck up at 50 feet with his Towable Lift. He always made it a point to take his repelling rope and hardware with him in the cage, and it definitely came in handy for him that time. No one was home and he didn't take his cell phone up with him. This guy had experience with repelling and made it look easy, although I wouldn't want to attempt this without some good training first.

I found instruction sheets on how to use the ground valves and manual pump to lower the cage to the ground. Have you ever experimented with doing this or seen it be done? I'm just curious how fast the cage comes down when operated with the manual valves, and whether it would be safe to do with someone in the cage. I plan to do some experimenting with this.

K-Mo

I've never been stuck in the air yet. At my age a rope wouldn't do me any good. Make sure I don't work unless someone else is around and have my cell phone.
The Service Manual and Troubleshooting Manual are available on the link I gave, but you have to kind of guess your way through several pages to find them. GOOGLE "JLG T500J Troubleshooting Manual" and you'll find both manuals there. If you don't find them, let me know and I'll try to guide you through the JLG website.

Maybe try this link--
https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManual...PDF+Manuals&refkey=HTTPS://WWW.JLG.COM/&link=

SR-71

Thank you, I Googled your suggested wording and was able to find the Service and Maintenance Manual online dated July 25, 2018 - Rev 1. Looks like a lot of excellent information.

After the hydraulic hoses get replaced on my T500J I plan to lower the cage with the emergency valves just to find out what I'd go through if someone needed to let me down via the emergency valves.

Thanks for your help. I'm curious what you use your Lift for? I live in a multi-story home and need to pressure wash siding, gutters, windows, that would be very tough to pressure wash on a ladder.